Jorge Masvidal tells Dana White ‘let me go if I’m not worth it’ as fighter pay issue escalates

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to Sign Up today.

nuraknu

savage
Jul 20, 2016

Jorge Masvidal has joined Jon Jones in asking the UFC to release him from his contract as the issue of fighter pay escalates in the promotion.

Jones accused Dana White of “lying to the fans” after the UFC president said the light heavyweight champ wanted “Deontay Wilder money”, or US$30 million, to move up to heavyweight and fight Francis Ngannou.

Now “BMF” champion Masvidal has become the latest big-name fighter to question their value to the company, with Henry Cejudo also walking away from MMA and relinquishing his UFC bantamweight title, seemingly upset at his pay....

Continue reading:

Attachments

so long

Posting Machine
Dec 16, 2015
*yawn*

for him it's serious and about his life and future. but, respectfully, I don't give a fuuuuuck... I just wanna see guys fight.

EDIT: See guys fight or Jon Jones legal trouble. besides that so soap opera

nuraknu

savage
Jul 20, 2016
Masvidal or his agent posting now on twitter

Rambo John J

Eats things that would make a Billy Goat Puke
First 100
Jan 17, 2015
he will fight
he wants to win ASAP and he wants money

Tiiimmmaaayyy

First 100 ish
Jan 19, 2015
This seems to be a growing trend. As soon as i sign off here i am going to email my boss and demand more money too.

Haulport

Quis Custodiet Ipsos Custodes
First 100
Jan 17, 2015
Not sure why this is happening now with absolutely NO ALTERNATIVE OPTIONS for the fighters making huge money. Is this a sign that someone is floating the idea of an alternative?

Otherwise why ask for a release when you wouldn't be able to make half of what the UFC can pay you.....?

Papi Chingon

Domesticated Hombre
Oct 19, 2015
Not sure why this is happening now with absolutely NO ALTERNATIVE OPTIONS for the fighters making huge money. Is this a sign that someone is floating the idea of an alternative?

Otherwise why ask for a release when you wouldn't be able to make half of what the UFC can pay you.....?
As and outsider looking in, Jorge isn't picking his fights, he is just stating he needs to not take a pay cut. If the matchups the UFC has on the table don't draw (Usman?), perhaps set him up with a fight that does pay (Diaz or Conor?). No reason at this point in his career to take a step back since he was grinding and making shit. He is one of the few true draws at this point. I get it that they don't have live gate, and I understand I have zero knowledge of true numbers being discussed, but this is prize fighting and I'd imagine Jorge isn't looking for bullshit numbers like Nate was (he was going for $15m or some shit for McGregor #3). Anything the UFC books for Masvidal will get good numbers, but if they can't justify his price, perhaps matchmaking needs to be under scrutiny, or wait until the lockdown is over.

BenAskrensStrikingcoach

Formerly formulating formally
Jan 30, 2015

Onetrickpony

Stay gold
Nov 21, 2016
All the fighters complain yet none of them will sign the forms to unionize so they can collectively bargain for better pay with the threat of shutting down the UFC if they can't come to an agreement.

I find it funny to watch them flounder in the media in ridiculous attempts to strong arm the UFC into what they think they deserve.

The solution is apparent but the belt holders who could drive the change are too thirsty for the PPV points to sign on.

One for all and all for one.

Tiiimmmaaayyy

First 100 ish
Jan 19, 2015
Maybe fighters should take the LeBron approach and sign very short contracts. That way they can renegotiate every year.

Filthy

Iowa Wrestling Champion
Jun 28, 2016
All the fighters complain yet none of them will sign the forms to unionize so they can collectively bargain for better pay with the threat of shutting down the UFC if they can't come to an agreement.

I find it funny to watch them flounder in the media in ridiculous attempts to strong arm the UFC into what they think they deserve.

The solution is apparent but the belt holders who could drive the change are too thirsty for the PPV points to sign on.

One for all and all for one.
it shouldn't be that hard.
classifying MMA fighters (and pro-wrestlers, for that matter) as 'independent contractors' is a farce.

nuraknu

savage
Jul 20, 2016
it shouldn't be that hard.
classifying MMA fighters (and pro-wrestlers, for that matter) as 'independent contractors' is a farce.
I think one of the first ways that the ufc dealt with possible unionization was by flooding the roster. Iirc it grew by like 100-200 fighters pretty quickly and most of them were foreign.

The second thing was calling on trump. It sure seemed like he helped them get out of that issue with Leslie Smith by having another office take over her case so they could dismiss it.

I don't know if we'll see much movement on this until after the election, if trump is voted out. If he's not then idk. We might see them try to unionize anyway, but we might see it quashed somehow.

I get confused with the legalities of Association vs. Union. So idk.

Filthy

Iowa Wrestling Champion
Jun 28, 2016
i kinda think some of these Big Draw fighters are looking at the minimum production that's actually required to put on fights, and they're wondering why they're not getting 45%.

If Street Jesus was fighting Colby in an octagon in a boatyard, how many of us would drop $20 for a live-stream?