Jose Aldo: 'Come back down or drop the belt'

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to Sign Up today.

Wild

Zi Nazi
Admin
Dec 31, 2014

Interim featherweight champion José Aldo issues a new challenge to Conor McGregor, right after the latter's UFC 202 win.

Conor McGregor has now evened the score with Nate Diaz, putting their own rivalry to bed, for now. But as the UFC’s undisputed featherweight champion, he still holds an obligation to defend his belt.

During his post-fight media scrum, McGregor was asked if he was willing to now face current interim champion Jose Aldo to unify the belts. As usual, he gave an open-ended response.

"How long was I going back and forth with José? That must have been a two-year build-up," McGregor said. "He pulled out, last-minute. I continued to fight someone else, then we rescheduled a two-year, ‘round the world deal with that boy. And then he stepped in and I beat him in 13…

Aldo to McGregor: Come back down or drop the belt

Last edited:

Atto

Chinese Virus
Feb 11, 2016
Jose is right.. Enough of this bullshit by Connor . If you are going to fight at 155 then drop the belt . Don't sabotage the whole division

Virtually Identical

Posting Machine
Jul 12, 2015
Conor probably won't vacate the belt until he gets a new deal. No PPV points without it?

Has there ever been a healthy, not suspended and active champion who did not fight in their champion division for an entire year? I can't think of one.

Ryann Von Doom

The Man
Jan 28, 2015
Jose is right.. Enough of this bullshit by Connor . If you are going to fight at 155 then drop the belt . Don't sabotage the whole division
He said he was coming back to 145 and then said next time diaz fights him it'll be at 155.. in no way shape or form did he say his next fight is diaz at 155.. Try listening to what he said last night.

check it

kids need ninja shit too
Jul 23, 2015
From the linked article ...

Conor said, ""It’s hard for me to get excited about Aldo, especially after his last performance. It was a decision. He didn’t go out and get it like I wanted him to get it. So, I don’t know."

And i said, Pot. Kettle. motherfucker.

BrunoMcGyver

Bruno no dey carry last
Dec 30, 2015
From the linked article ...

Conor said, ""It’s hard for me to get excited about Aldo, especially after his last performance. It was a decision. He didn’t go out and get it like I wanted him to get it. So, I don’t know."

And i said, Pot. Kettle. motherfucker.
Funny how he wanted (and got) an immediate chance at redemption after getting finished by Diaz yet won't go near Aldo even after he beat Edgar, who himself won a heap of fights at FW.

check it

kids need ninja shit too
Jul 23, 2015
Funny how he wanted (and got) an immediate chance at redemption after getting finished by Diaz yet won't go near Aldo even after he beat Edgar, who himself won a heap of fights at FW.
I was just saying the same exact thing in another thread. I think it's really a principal of sportsmanship at this point. It contradicts his whole humble in Victory and defeat nonsense he says all the time.

Joemacka

Bisping is GOAT
Oct 19, 2015
Why would Conor waste his time fighting somebody he cleaned up in under 20seconds when he can fight Alvarez and add another belt to the collection.

Sheepdog

Protecting America from excessive stool loitering
Dec 1, 2015
He said he was coming back to 145 and then said next time diaz fights him it'll be at 155.. in no way shape or form did he say his next fight is diaz at 155.. Try listening to what he said last night.
He did not say he was coming back to 145. He just said he was coming back down in weight. Considering he also made it abundantly clear he did not want to fight Aldo, reading between the lines makes it pretty obvious that he is going to try and take a run at 155.

Sheepdog

Protecting America from excessive stool loitering
Dec 1, 2015
Why would Conor waste his time fighting somebody he cleaned up in under 20seconds when he can fight Alvarez and add another belt to the collection.
This is no way disputes Aldo's argument. He is free to fight at 155, but he needs to drop the 145 belt in that case. You can't be the champ of a division you no longer fight in, even in the land of CM Punk. The UFC has made it clear they agree with Aldo on this too.

Atto

Chinese Virus
Feb 11, 2016
I know what he said, I am just saying its time for him to defend his belt.. Connor is the money man and he makes more money fighting Diaz than Aldo , so think about it.

BrunoMcGyver

Bruno no dey carry last
Dec 30, 2015
Why should Nate have wasted his time fighting a guy he choked out in less than 2 rounds? Why should Weidman have wasted his time fighting a guy he KOed clean to win a belt? Why should Matt Sera waste his time fighting a guy he smoked in 3 minutes?

Joemacka

Bisping is GOAT
Oct 19, 2015
Why should Nate have wasted his time fighting a guy he choked out in less than 2 rounds? Why should Weidman have wasted his time fighting a guy he KOed clean to win a belt? Why should Matt Sera waste his time fighting a guy he smoked in 3 minutes?

BrunoMcGyver

Bruno no dey carry last
Dec 30, 2015
If the UFC is all about money then fine, no probes with that. But if there's a good fighter outside the UFC ppl should quit saying "He should fight in the UFC!" because it can no longer be seen as the place to fight if you wanna be the best.

WoodenPupa

Feb 14, 2015
Conor is more valuable then the belt. He holds all the cards and can pretty much do what he wants, within reason. Zuffa has already demonstrated they don't care about belts either---it's just their mirroring the default notion of a meaningful division. But it's one they'll readily abandon if a fighter demonstrates that his value transcends championships and belts. If Conor insists on 155 they'll grant him the Alvarez fight while Dana pretends to be disgusted and enraged about it all. He'll say shit like "Conor will NEVER fight at 145 again, we've made that absolutely clear to him" but that won't matter if Conor keeps winning. If he beats Alvarez and then Nate, for example, then they will grovel at his feet if he wants, for the hell of it, to return to 145.

ALL the belts and rankings and contender fights and championship rationales are utterly meaningless to Zuffa. Same with the drug testing. They do it to spoon-feed the media and MMA fan orthodoxy and give them toys to play with, a front to take seriously.