Jose Aldo's Coach Frustrated, Urges Fighters To Leave Brazil

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to Sign Up today.

nuraknu

savage
Jul 20, 2016

"In a constant rivalry with Team Nogueira for the position of the greatest MMA team hailing from Brazil, Rio de Janeiro's Nova União gym represents an astonishing success story in martial arts.

"Throughout the '90s, the team stood out as the best in the world in jiu-jitsu among lighter weights, a dynamic that repeated itself in MMA in the following decade -- always based on a lot of tough training and the gathering of top talent from all of Brazil. Factors that, according to André Pederneiras, the team's leader, are not enough to keep his students in the country...."

More: Jose Aldo's Coach Frustrated, Urges Fighters To Leave Brazil

KWingJitsu

ยาเม็ดสีแดงหรือสีฟ้ายา?
Nov 15, 2015
He's right on both points.

Brazil is the next Venezuala. Sad.

nuraknu

savage
Jul 20, 2016
I knew Gadelha left, but I don't think I knew about Barao and Formiga. I wonder if Aldo will suffer from those training partners leaving.

mko

Nov 19, 2015
What's going on in Brazil? I know it's expensive as shit and has has a LOT of political corruption (es normal) even the President got sacked or some shit?

Also the Favelas etc. but what has changed so much recently that Andre is saying that?

Sheepdog

Protecting America from excessive stool loitering
Dec 1, 2015
Leaving aside Brazil's dysfunction, it's probably a good idea for any MMA professional to move to a top US team if they have the resources, and especially if they have already developed a unique base that may give them an edge. For example if you can graduate the meat grinder of Dagestan/Chechnya like a Khabib and then move to the US, you are getting to compliment your game by working with the best of the best but still possessing something most American fighters don't have.

The UK and Australia, for example, even accepting the significantly smaller MMA talent pool, don't have wrestling cultures and it is clear that it impacts the amount of top level of fighters they can produce. Both countries are capable of producing elite stand up MMA fighters, but with a few exceptions, the grappling just isn't there.

mko

Nov 19, 2015
Nah, you can get quality training anywhere in the world. A lot depends on the individual and his coaches available to him. Cro Cop wrestled just fine and built a camp at Croatia etc.

Of course the US is the mecca of MMA wrestling and training overall, but many guys who are big dogs in their gym, go to those camps and suddenly there's hundreds of other aspiring fighters and they don't get the individual attention to technique, just countless meathead sparring rounds, obliterating them. Afterwards they are wrecked and injured.

So it's not as simple as "Go to US (Any top camp) and you'll be A BEAST!!!"

Gibberish

Posting Machine
Dec 2, 2015
They should all do it for a few years at least, if for no other reason than how good it would be for their English, ability to connect with fans.