Judge not, lest ye be judged: My night with the California State Athletic Commission

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to Sign Up today.

Splinty

Shake 'em off
Admin
Dec 31, 2014
From my chair alongside judge Mike Beltran, the only two things I was supposed to focus on were the men inside the cage in front of me. In my left hand was a scorecard and a notepad. In my right was a pen. My lap held my iPhone, glowing white and blue with the Twitter app open.

Right before the first bell, I felt a tap on my shoulder. It was Cory Schafer, Bellator's director of regulatory affairs. He didn't look happy.

"I thought you were here to judge," Schafer said, looking down at my phone disapprovingly. "I can give someone else your seat if you're not ready to do it."

Schafer was mostly busting my chops. But his point hit home. Judging fights? This is serious business. There's no time to mess around on social media when the difference between a win and a loss -- and a fighter's finances -- are at stake.

Slipping my phone into my pocket, I felt alone. Beltran was next to me and there were thousands of screaming fans inside the Bren Events Center. But really, it was just me and the fighters. And I was the one -- or at least one of the ones -- deciding who would be the winner based solely on my observations in real time.

That's a massive responsibility and a daunting feeling. You miss something in a close round and that could be the difference of five figures for a fighter.

It might look easy sitting at home watching on Spike TV or FOX Sports 1 or pay-per-view. It's not. It's easier to screw up than you think. Believe me, I did it.

On Friday night, California State Athletic Commission executive director Andy Foster opened up his government organization's fight-night procedures to media. Foster explained in depth the CSAC's drug-testing protocols and reporters were given a walk-through of what doctors and EMTs do during MMA events.

The most enlightening moments came, though, during a judging seminar run by John McCarthy and the practice of actually judging the fights ourselves.

McCarthy, the godfather of MMA refereeing and one of the men who helped write the unified rules of the sport, explained the process differently than most fans have been led to believe. Effective striking and effective grappling are the two most important things in every round, McCarthy said. Only if those two things are equal do you take into account details like cage control and aggression.

In other words, the fighter who does the most damage or attempts to finish the fight with submission attempts should win the round -- not the fighter who spends the most time in top position or pushing his opponent against the fence.

"It's not who lands the most strikes," McCarthy told us. "Where do they land and what effect do they have on the fight?"

Sounds like a simple and easy theory to apply, right? Not so much. On a TV screen, McCarthy showed us the third round of the fight between Gilbert Melendez and Diego Sanchez from UFC 166 in October 2013 without commentary or crowd noise. Melendez lands more and seems to do more damage, but Sanchez has a major flurry in the middle of the round when he drops Melendez with a big uppercut and takes Melendez's back.

Of the five journalists in attendance during the McCarthy judging crash course, three scored the round for Melendez and two scored it for Sanchez. I was one of the latter and McCarthy explained to me why I was wrong. Sanchez had the best strike of the round, but Melendez never lost any of his faculties -- he braced his fall on the knockdown -- and Sanchez never came close to finishing on the ground.

Melendez landed more and opened up a nasty cut over Sanchez's eye. He should have won that round. But two judges, presumably interpreting it like I did, scored the round for Sanchez at UFC 166. Melendez won the fight, winning the first two rounds, but he should have won them all.

There's a reason why it's called "judging." There is some subjectivity to it. But it's the judge's job to know what to look for, be educated on the sport and understand how to score certain things. And there's no time to mull it over. Your scorecard is collected immediately after the round is over. You have to be judging as the round goes.

Bellator 136 could not have been a better event for this exercise. There were an incredible amount of close rounds and even what should have been a 10-8 -- Joey Beltran's near finish of Brian Rogers in the second round of their fight.

None of the journalists present could pull the trigger on the 10-8, and we should have. As McCarthy explained it, a 10-8 must have a combination of dominance (a lack of offense from the fighter on the losing end) and damage. There are cases when there is so much damage -- like with Beltran on Rogers -- or dominance that a 10-8 is warranted even when the other one is not present.

Read more...
Judge not, lest ye be judged: My night with the California State Athletic Commission - MMA Fighting

Splinty

Shake 'em off
Admin
Dec 31, 2014
This is really interesting to me. I know all of us are the best MMA judges in the world from the couch with a beer in the hand. But it has to be hard as hell to be under that pressure of the crowd and replays later.

Simpleman

First 100
First 100
Jan 15, 2015
I think there should be 9-9 or 10-10 rounds. Sometimes rounds are just too close to have a clear winner.

Maybe even allow the judges to confer with each other for 30 seconds between rounds to let them pick the winner.

Or let each vote count as one point. Fights could be judged easier this way. Scores could be 9-0 or 5-4 this way. This could also take care of the rogue judges like Cecil because he would have to answer for some of his decisions to his peers.

Even Dana has shown that even he doesn't understand the scoring rules (one TUF episode he lost his mind when the results were read because a guy had a point taken away and STILL won the fight). I don't remember what fight or season anymore.

sparkuri

Pulse On The Finger Of The Community
First 100
Jan 16, 2015
I've said it for years, no 10 point must.
There should be 100x more draws.

Point system destroys mma.
It's stupid.

If one guy totally kicks another guys ass the whole fight, then gets dropped and wobbled at the end, draw.
Judges should be former mma'ists

Simpleman

First 100
First 100
Jan 15, 2015
Also, post the scores right before each round. This might put a fire under some of them. Think about how many more fights would be exciting if they knew how close it really was.

Zeph

TMMAC Addict
Jan 22, 2015
Also, post the scores right before each round. This might put a fire under some of them. Think about how many more fights would be exciting if they knew how close it really was.
Or how many people will coast the third if they know for sure they are up 2.

YammaYoMama

Mar 26, 2015
I've said it for years, no 10 point must.
There should be 100x more draws.

Point system destroys mma.
It's stupid.

If one guy totally kicks another guys ass the whole fight, then gets dropped and wobbled at the end, draw.
Judges should be former mma'ists
Disagree that Judges should be former "mma'ists".

Seems to me there would be too many past biases. Examples include: Former fighter judges fight of a teammate or old opponent he respects/loathes.

Any way you look at they could be bringing preconceived biases.

delightone

Insert Crown here
First 100
Jan 14, 2015
does Big john judge fights, i know he refs alot but he should in my opinion judge some big fights, he is the one who wrote the book.

Wild

Zi Nazi
Admin
Dec 31, 2014
This is really interesting to me. I know all of us are the best MMA judges in the world from the couch with a beer in the hand. But it has to be hard as hell to be under that pressure of the crowd and replays later.
Agreed. But with that said, I still think that judges need to be former fighters. People that have competed in the sport, and know what they're watching. For example, having this woman as a judge (Adalaide Byrd) makes all parties involved appear incompetent.

sparkuri

First 100
Jan 16, 2015
Disagree that Judges should be former "mma'ists".

Seems to me there would be too many past biases. Examples include: Former fighter judges fight of a teammate or old opponent he respects/loathes.

Any way you look at they could be bringing preconceived biases.

Aren't they anyway?
Don't we already see plenty of bad decisions?

I see what you're saying, and it makes sense, but is easily remedied.
For example, was Matt Hume allowed to judge Maurice Smith, Kohsaka, Barnett, etc. during a camp?

So if there's a conflict of interest, draw out.
That combined with 10-point gone, a similar to yellow/red card system, a totality based system, and more draws, and we have a winner.

jason73

Yuri Bezmenov was right
First 100
Jan 15, 2015
the whole win two round and coast for the third to win game to me is ridiculous. if you watch 2 guys fight in a parking lot it doesnt matter who was winning at first it matters who is winning at the end.thats who won.

sparkuri

First 100
Jan 16, 2015
the whole win two round and coast for the third to win game to me is ridiculous. if you watch 2 guys fight in a parking lot it doesnt matter who was winning at first it matters who is winning at the end.thats who won.
Another reason I wish rounds were abolished.

Give these guys 20 minutes to sort it out.
If it isn't clear, draw, less cash, etc.

Splinty

Shake 'em off
Admin
Dec 31, 2014
Another reason I wish rounds were abolished.

Give these guys 20 minutes to sort it out.
If it isn't clear, draw, less cash, etc.
Rounds increase viewership and allow corners to improve strategy. Would you be happy with Pride timing instead?

MMAHAWK

Real Gs come from California.America Muthafucker
Feb 5, 2015
does Big john judge fights, i know he refs alot but he should in my opinion judge some big fights, he is the one who wrote the book.
He was a judge at Bellator last Friday for at least one fight. I belive it was a prelim that I heard his card read.

sparkuri

First 100
Jan 16, 2015
Rounds increase viewership and allow corners to improve strategy. Would you be happy with Pride timing instead?
Pride timing is certainly better.
I have no clue about viewership statistics.
I know they don't increase mine.
These guys have months to incorporate strategy.
If MMA wants to set itself apart, getting as "real as it gets", then rounds should be absent, as they are in a fight.

Wild

Zi Nazi
Admin
Dec 31, 2014
Agree with sparkuri @sparkuri. 1o minute first round, 3 minute break, then go until someone is finished. Would that be the most viewer friendly for "mainstream" fans? Probably not...but this old dog would love it.

D241

Banned
Jan 14, 2015
Good article, thanks for posting Splinty.

I remember going to a UFC event a few years back and I saw so many members of the media on their phones and not even looking at the fights. Kevin Iole was the lone exception. During the pre-lims he even looked focused on the fights as he should. He is for real, the others, not so much.
But we're talking judges so my bad.

lookoutawhale

Mammal of the Sea
Jan 20, 2015
The guy who is sure that he is losing will then try that much harder.
I agree with that. Id like to see the scores right as they happen. Theres too much confusion during a fight. In a 5 round fight sometimes you think one guy is up 4-0 rounds to zero then all of a sudden you realize it was scored 4-0 for the other person.

I think if someone knows they are losing they will try that much harder. They will go in guns blazing and try for the knockout and something crazy to win.

Id actually like 1 round fights though. Have commercials in between fights instead of rounds. In many rounds nothing happens. Its like 1 jab more than the other person while in another round something significant happens but the rounds will still be tied going into round 3. That way no coasting because there's no rounds. Just one fight full of attrition and your ability to change during the fight with your corner yelling you instructions.

plus when guys are tired they will make more mistakes and more change of a finish.