Judges influenced by fighter's corner

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to Sign Up today.

BanMe

Banished
Feb 9, 2016
So, I'm watching the first fight on Spike for Bellator 149, and I saw one of the judges kept looking over at one of the fighters' corners. The judge was merely feet away from the corner. It got me thinking... I wonder if a corner yelling things like "The other guy is done, look at how weak he is" would influence a judge's decisions. I mean, how could it not?

They've been talking about having judges in a separate room so that they aren't influenced by the crowd, but I never heard anyone talk about this. I guess I didn't realize that the judges were THAT close to the corners. Maybe it's slightly better in the UFC because of the shape of the octagon. Anyway, that is sounding like an even better idea now.

Thoughts?

Splinty

Shake 'em off
Admin
Dec 31, 2014
BanMe @Arcee never noticed this. But I'd think multiple cameras and a back stage viewing area would be the most neutral setup. Also with multiple screens could see more than ringside.

Robbie Hart

All Biden Voters Are Mindless Sheep
Feb 13, 2015
This is most definitely a problem along with crowd noise......

Last edited:

Joemacka

Bisping is GOAT
Oct 19, 2015
Honestly the judges should have to watch the same feed the viewers watch minus the commentary.

Ghost Bro

Wololo ~Leave no turn unstoned
Nov 13, 2015
Was that the fight with the corner screaming "punch him in the mouuuuth!!"?

If so can't blame the judge for looking lol

Joemacka

Bisping is GOAT
Oct 19, 2015
Why, there are plenty of missed angles on Tue broadcast?
Your going to miss shit anyways watching live. If we are seeing the same thing as them maybe we wont think there getting the decisions wrong every event. I hope that makes sense.

ThatOneDude

Commander in @Chief, Dick Army
First 100
Jan 14, 2015
Your going to miss shit anyways watching live. If we are seeing the same thing as them maybe we wont think there getting the decisions wrong every event. I hope that makes sense.
No, it doesn't. That's the wrong way to think about things imo

That's adjusting the judging to appease the fans, when they need to just get it right, and that doesn't always mean agreeing with the fans.

Joemacka

Bisping is GOAT
Oct 19, 2015
No, it doesn't. That's the wrong way to think about things imo

That's adjusting the judging to appease the fans, when they need to just get it right, and that doesn't always mean agreeing with the fans.
The judgeing needs to be adjusted tho because it seems every event judges are making the wrong decisions and that seems to be because they are not seeing what we are seeing or because where not seeing what they are.

Thats why i think it would be best if they sat in a room with a TV each no commentary and no statistics popping up on the screen that way everybody watching is seeing the same thing.

ThatOneDude

First 100
Jan 14, 2015
The judgeing needs to be adjusted tho because it seems every event judges are making the wrong decisions and that seems to be because they are not seeing what we are seeing or because where not seeing what they are.

Thats why i think it would be best if they sat in a room with a TV each no commentary and no statistics popping up on the screen that way everybody watching is seeing the same thing.
I agree with watching on TV's out back, but not the broadcast, multiple monitors with different views imo.

Joemacka

Bisping is GOAT
Oct 19, 2015
I agree with watching on TV's out back, but not the broadcast, multiple monitors with different views imo.
i like the idea of having different views but do you think judges could potentially miss things looking at different monitors?

ThatOneDude

First 100
Jan 14, 2015
i like the idea of having different views but do you think judges could potentially miss things looking at different monitors?
I think because we are human yes they have the potential to always miss something no matter what system or revamp they put in place

Joemacka

Bisping is GOAT
Oct 19, 2015
I think because we are human yes they have the potential to always miss something no matter what system or revamp they put in place
Thats true. I also like the idea of 5 judges instead of 3 that way the chances of them making the correct decision is higher.

ThatOneDude

First 100
Jan 14, 2015
Thats true. I also like the idea of 5 judges instead of 3 that way the chances of them making the correct decision is higher.
Ya know, that's a really neat idea I don't think I've thought about. I actually really like that.

BanMe

Banished
Feb 9, 2016
I don't know if adding more people who don't know what they're doing to the mix would solve or exacerbate the problem. It's an interesting thought.

As for having the judges see what we see, I think of it less as appeasing the fans and more as making it easier to argue "bad" judging. If everyone sees the same thing, then everyone is on an even playing field.

And yes, I do realize that my second thought basically counter-acts my first, but... it works in my brain somehow. =)

P

Punch

Having judges appointed who have experience rolling, boxing, muay thai, wrestling.... some sort of combat training would help. Some judges currently do, but it's not mandatory for them to have said experience by the AC's. It should be imo.

I agree with having multiple monitors backstage in single rooms with no interference would help eliminate most potential influence on the judges.