Just Got a Dawg TME

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to Sign Up today.

Wintermute

Putin is gay
Apr 24, 2015
My wife and I have been wanting to get a dog for a long time and a couple of weeks ago decided to pull the trigger- we went to the Dog Adoption Show at the Marin Civic Center and met some pups. The one we connected with the best was a 3-year-old black Lab mix (they think mixed with Hound). They told us she had very few problems, but is leash reactive and aggressive towards other dogs. Apparently the family that had her before she was brought to the shelter kept her chained to a stake in their front yard all her life, and I'm assuming other dogs fucked with her.

She's a great dog so far- lots of energy, housebroken, really affectionate, knows some simple commands and so far we've been able to train her in most things. It was advised that we crate her when we're not around or asleep, but she's shown she can chill most of the time, so we only crate her while we're at work- I go home at lunch to walk her to break it up. We're thinking of letting her out of the crate, but keeping her in that room only for a while during the workday, then slowly letting her have the whole apt. She doesn't love the crate LOL.

The leash reactivity makes us nervous to let her off-leash at dog parks or with other dogs at all, but she really needs the exercise and we have to address that behavior anyway, so that's our priority now. We're going to seek some training at the shelter we got her from, but for now we're trying to distract her with a treat when she sees another dog, before she can growl/lunge.

At any rate, I can't believe I've gone this long without a dog. The affection alone is worth it.

Any info you guys can give on training, this particular behavior, Labs overall would be great. Like I said, we're figuring this out along the way.

Bozy

OOHH YOU DIDNT KNOW!?
Feb 22, 2015
Congrats on the pup! Extra kudos for adopting an older pup. Glad to see. No advice. Just need pics :)

SC MMA MD

TMMAC Addict
Jan 20, 2015
Get her in a group training class as soon as you can. The time working with her will help build your relationship and her trust with you, the supervised socialization with other dogs will probably help her aggression, and people/staff at a training site will be much more tolerant of errant behavior than randoms at a dog park.
Dogs are awesome, hope you enjoy yours as much as I have mine

Sweets

All Around Dumbass
Feb 9, 2015
Just remember she will take time to fully respect and trust you until then she will be headstrong so be patient. How is distracting her with treats working out? Does it stop aggression completely?

BJTT_Pella

I want to go fishing.
Jun 25, 2015
I have a lab as well. its a social thing. Find a friend with a good dog that isnt aggressive, one you trust and ease them together. Once your dog can get along with another, try another one. And keep going. I had to do this with mine. It takes time. I would stay away from dog parks till your pooch figures it out. You dont want some North Bay hipster suing you because your dog pissed on her penny loafers. You know what I mean?

Feb 28, 2015
I have a very very alpha female lab/hound mix who loves to act out on leash in the presence of other dogs. It's not aggression though in the majority of cases. A dog's natural way to assert its dominance is with physical posturing right up with the other dog, this is how they establish who's who and where everyone falls. When a dog is on leash (or behind a fence, etc) they cannot do this and so resort to 2nd best thing, verbalizing and acting a fool. My dog still does it even after years of training, de-sensitization, food distractions and the like, she's much better yes but I have to be alert. It's their instinct and sometimes that can be a hard thing to change, I see why we at times have to given the domestic situations we've forced them in but all the same.

I think another thorough evaluation by a reputable trainer would be a great idea, I think everyone should have to do this. They'll let you know for sure if the dog really has aggression issues or if it's like the majority of cases where that label has been incorrectly applied. If it's the latter and what I explained above, all of the suggestions you and others have made are what will help and it just takes consistency and time.

As for letting her have free reign of the house, I would wait at least 2-3 weeks and then yes, introduce her to a bit larger area for a couple hours and then increase time and space as you see how it goes. Feel confident in that no time, you'll be comfortable leaving her free in the house and she'll be comfortable turning your couch into her personal throne :)

ThatOneDude

Commander in @Chief, Dick Army
First 100
Jan 14, 2015
Lots of exercise and I always crate train my dogs, but after a while I stop putting them in the crate. Also if you can, a doggie door into a fenced in back yard is AMAZING

Feb 28, 2015
Lots of exercise and I always crate train my dogs, but after a while I stop putting them in the crate. Also if you can, a doggie door into a fenced in back yard is AMAZING
That's one of the things I REALLY need to do here, been here over a year now and since I work from home my dogs are always in my grill like let me out and then always banging on the door to come back in. Need help designing a solution though since my set up on the back porch is weird, standard doggy door deal won't work....and going to need to build a ramp out there too...and then I'm like well, might as well build a deck and redo the whole back porch and put in french doors and move the laundry stuff, etc, etc....now you see why a doggy door hasn't happened yet lol

Wintermute

Putin is gay
Apr 24, 2015
Great advice! I just took her out and literally everyone in my complex has dogs they walk at the same time. Usually it goes like this:

- fixed glare at dog
- growling
- (if the dog gets close) posturing up

So when I see the fixed gaze I tell her to "look at me" which she does and I give her a treat. Then I move her along. Sometimes she growls again, sometimes not. She almost always turns to look at the dog over her shoulder as we walk away. However, today, she did the typical shit, i gave her the treat, then I started talking to the owner and she was cool. I don't get it at all.

ThatOneDude

First 100
Jan 14, 2015
That's one of the things I REALLY need to do here, been here over a year now and since I work from home my dogs are always in my grill like let me out and then always banging on the door to come back in. Need help designing a solution though since my set up on the back porch is weird, standard doggy door deal won't work....and going to need to build a ramp out there too...and then I'm like well, might as well build a deck and redo the whole back porch and put in french doors and move the laundry stuff, etc, etc....now you see why a doggy door hasn't happened yet lol
Mine is a storm door with a doggie door in it, works great. Plus for sure don't waste your time on doing all that stuff to your house....Colorado, remember.

Sweets

All Around Dumbass
Feb 9, 2015
Great advice! I just took her out and literally everyone in my complex has dogs they walk at the same time. Usually it goes like this:

- fixed glare at dog
- growling

So when I see the fixed gaze I tell her to "look at me" which she does and I give her a treat. Then I move her along. Sometimes she growls again, sometimes not. She almost always turns to look at the dog over her shoulder as we walk away. However, today, she did the typical shit, i gave her the treat, then I started talking to the owner and she was cool. I don't get it at all.
That doesn't sound too bad really, does she do a lot of lunging? She will always be interested in other dogs, ears forward postured up that is ok, I would intercept when she starts growling or her hair stands up on the kneck, you don't really want just the sight of other dogs to be an issue. She was probably cool while you were chatting because she took the cue from you that we're good with these people and accepted that, that's a good start.

Wintermute

Putin is gay
Apr 24, 2015
That doesn't sound too bad really, does she do a lot of lunging? She will always be interested in other dogs, ears forward postured up that is ok, I would intercept when she starts growling or her hair stands up on the kneck, you don't really want just the sight of other dogs to be an issue. She was probably cool while you were chatting because she took the cue from you that we're good with these people and accepted that, that's a good start.
Her hair has stood up, yeah. I'm still getting used to reading her body language. She's nose-down for most of the walks right now. Sniffing everyfuckingthing. Still working, it's only been like a week and a half.

We have a lot of great beaches here too, but I'm nervous to take her off-leash in case some other dog comes around.

ThatOneDude

First 100
Jan 14, 2015

- fixed glare at dog
- growling

You are the pack leader, the dog will follow you and take social cues from you, to a point.

Chief

4070 = Legend
First 100
Jan 14, 2015
Congratulations on the dog!

girlandcoconut @girlandcoconut hit the nail on the head. The leash brings something out in some dogs that make them react a certain way around other dogs (hence the term "leash reactive"). Most dogs are completely different when they are freed. This is why you'll notice that a rule at most dog parks is that your dog has to be unleashed before entering, so it doesn't cause any trouble. That is the reason for the double gate system at the entrance. You walk in the first gate, unleash the dog, then walk into the park unleashed. As already recommended, it'd be great to find a friendly dog and just let the two play while observing closely. You can progress from there if you are happy with what you see.

Also, crating the way you are doing is a good idea. This gives your new dog time to get used to your house and the new environment slowly. Something to be mindful of though, your dog is not likely to go to the bathroom in the crate so he holds it until someone gets home, which is why it's good that you go home at lunch. That is what I did. But once given freedom, even just one room, there is a chance that a corner of that room will be considered far enough away for her to make it a bathroom. Not saying this is the case, but just keep it in mind in the beginning.

Eventually the routine will become routine and she will know where to go. Even though she is house broken, bring some treats to potty time and give it to her as well as some praise when she goes in the right spot. This will help reaffirm that she's to wait until you're outside.

Good luck!

Wintermute

Putin is gay
Apr 24, 2015
Congratulations on the dog!

girlandcoconut @girlandcoconut hit the nail on the head. The leash brings something out in some dogs that make them react a certain way around other dogs (hence the term "leash reactive"). Most dogs are completely different when they are freed. This is why you'll notice that a rule at most dog parks is that your dog has to be unleashed before entering, so it doesn't cause any trouble. That is the reason for the double gate system at the entrance. You walk in the first gate, unleash the dog, then walk into the park unleashed. As already recommended, it'd be great to find a friendly dog and just let the two play while observing closely. You can progress from there if you are happy with what you see.

Also, crating the way you are doing is a good idea. This gives your new dog time to get used to your house and the new environment slowly. Something to be mindful of though, your dog is not likely to go to the bathroom in the crate so he holds it until someone gets home, which is why it's good that you go home at lunch. That is what I did. But once given freedom, even just one room, there is a chance that a corner of that room will be considered far enough away for her to make it a bathroom. Not saying this is the case, but just keep it in mind in the beginning.

Eventually the routine will become routine and she will know where to go. Even though she is house broken, bring some treats to potty time and give it to her as well as some praise when she goes in the right spot. This will help reaffirm that she's to wait until you're outside.

Good luck!
cool- thanks! she was in the crate before lunch today, and i let her have the room after, so we'll see what she does.

Sweets

All Around Dumbass
Feb 9, 2015
Her hair has stood up, yeah. I'm still getting used to reading her body language. She's nose-down for most of the walks right now. Sniffing everyfuckingthing. Still working, it's only been like a week and a half.

We have a lot of great beaches here too, but I'm nervous to take her off-leash in case some other dog comes around.
Early days she'll be fine.. Make sure she is beside you when on the leash, not out in front pulling about, pull her back and say heel when she is at your side, that will help toward off the leash heel training. You can let her sniff around but not out in front otherwise she'll think she's leading.

check it

kids need ninja shit too
Jul 23, 2015
sweet. so glad to hear you got your pup at a rescue type thing. don't sweat the small stuff... dog is gonna mess some stuff up..eat a few shoes..i think the breed you got is highly trainable so it'll be a good dog in no time. enjoy :)

Sweets

All Around Dumbass
Feb 9, 2015
Seriously nice dog man I love her coat she's similliar to my Staff with the reddish tint..