Just got back into the gym last night, I have a question or two for you guys.

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to Sign Up today.

Mishima Zaibatsu

TMMAC’s resident musician
Feb 27, 2016
Didn't over do it, 15 minutes of cardio, chin ups, bench, leg extensions, abs, basic stuff to get my body used to the exertion. Good solid hour of gym time.

Got a question.

I plan on getting into Boxing and some Wrestling/Jiu Jitsu training down the line, what amount of strength and conditioning should I be doing to get me ready?

Currently, it's just my Dad who's helping me with my gym routine, he's the one who got me into it back when I was a teenager, but he's no expert and the routine I was doing was more for definition than for serious strength. I want to put on a good amount of muscle now that I'm in my 20's and my metabolism has slowed down, allowing me to put on more.

I want functional strength over beach muscles though, I want to look good, but I'm not looking to win any body building comps and I don't want to lose any speed(I'm not very athletic, so I already don't have much as is). What are some exercises I can do to increase strength, speed, agility etc, to become a better athlete?

SC MMA MD

TMMAC Addict
Jan 20, 2015
I will leave comments about an exercise routine to the better experts on here, but if you want to get in shape for boxing or grappling there is no better way than boxing or grappling. Sign up, show up and start training. Have fun and get in shape at the same time. You can add gym work as a supplement to your training.

maurice

Posting Machine
Oct 21, 2015
Adding strength at your age should be easy and not very time consuming. Just follow Starting Strength or some similar barbell program that is focused on big lifts. You'll be surprised how fast you progress until you get a to an intermediate level.

For boxing / grappling endurance, it's probably best to jump right in and start boxing and grappling.

Frozen_Rosen

May 14, 2016
as someone who was impossibly out of shape, boxing is the best thing thats ever happened to me. just get started im sure your probably already in better shape then I will ever be in so i recommend just doing it now

Mishima Zaibatsu

Feb 27, 2016
Thanks for the comments guys.

I see your point about jumping head first into Boxing, but, just to give you an idea about how out of shape/unprepared I am, I can barely do 2 minutes of jump rope, so my endurance needs serious work if I'm going to get through a class.

I'd rather not be gassing out every 2 minutes of training.

I'm getting better though, the cardio workout I did was the easiest thing when a month ago, I probably would've been gassed by the end of it, but I still have a ways to go.

It's really exciting though, I can tell I'm getting better.

Mishima Zaibatsu

Feb 27, 2016
as someone who was impossibly out of shape, boxing is the best thing thats ever happened to me. just get started im sure your probably already in better shape then I will ever be in so i recommend just doing it now
I doubt it, hahaha, I was a total couch potato for the last like 5 years. Barely did anything physical.

Won't take me long to get back into shape, cuz I have the base already, but I'm still pretty out of shape.

Frozen_Rosen

May 14, 2016
Thanks for the comments guys.

I see your point about jumping head first into Boxing, but, just to give you an idea about how out of shape/unprepared I am, I can barely do 2 minutes of jump rope, so my endurance needs serious work if I'm going to get through a class.

I'd rather not be gassing out every 2 minutes of training.
as a reference point, i weighed around 500 lbs and could barely be active before feeling like shit. The boxing gym i go to is 30 minutes of one on one hitting mits with the coach/training and as you get better he teaches more about the various bags and workouts so you can do that on your own.
most of the gyms around where I am from just through you in group classes or tell you to do your own thing. I recommend finding a gym where they actually want to train you instead of just make money of you.

Mishima Zaibatsu

Feb 27, 2016
as a reference point, i weighed around 500 lbs and could barely be active before feeling like shit. The boxing gym i go to is 30 minutes of one on one hitting mits with the coach/training and as you get better he teaches more about the various bags and workouts so you can do that on your own.
most of the gyms around where I am from just through you in group classes or tell you to do your own thing. I recommend finding a gym where they actually want to train you instead of just make money of you.
I agree. There's a gym in my town that's really just down the street that also offers Kickboxing and Karate, the head coaches are lifelong martial artists, and have alot of Kickboxing experience.

Although, I'm not sure if it's going to be what I'm looking for, but they have decent prices. First few classes are free, so I need to get on that.

Wow man, how much weight have you lost? I'm only hoping to lose maybe 20-30 lbs at the most

Congrats on turning it around! Makes me feel like what I need to do is easy in comparison.

Respect.

Frozen_Rosen

May 14, 2016
I agree. There's a gym in my town that's really just down the street that also offers Kickboxing and Karate, the head coaches are lifelong martial artists, and have alot of Kickboxing experience.

Although, I'm not sure if it's going to be what I'm looking for, but they have decent prices. First few classes are free, so I need to get on that.

Wow man, how much weight have you lost? I'm only hoping to lose maybe 20-30 lbs at the most

Congrats on turning it around! Makes me feel like what I need to do is easy in comparison.

Respect.[/QUOT
I've lost like 35-40 pounds so far

Just show up and start. The coaches and trainers will have a better idea about how best to utilize your abilities in their environment than we will. They know their other athletes and will see how you move and learn in person. It's one of those things that will naturally come over a bit of time so SC MMA MD's advice is worth listening to.

Yossarian

TMMAC Addict
Oct 25, 2015
If you MUST have some sort of preparations, start running your balls off. You're gonna need cardio more than anything. The rest will come.

regular john

Muay Thai World Champion
May 21, 2015
(...) if you want to get in shape for boxing or grappling there is no better way than boxing or grappling.
You don't need to get in shape to get ready to get in shape.
For boxing / grappling endurance, it's probably best to jump right in and start boxing and grappling.
wise people of the community.

this is winner advice. evrybody who first jumps into a boxing gym can't jump rope. just do it. at first you will look like an idiot but the good thing in a combat sports gym is that no one is bothered with you. people are concentrated in their stuff, no matter what stupid thing you do, no one will even see it.