Personal Just got my annual Flu Shot

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to Sign Up today.
M

member 3289

My insurance covered it plus Publix gave me a $10 gift card. If you live in a civilized state with a Publix then I suggest you take advantage of this deal before it's too late.

All you anti-vaxxer fuck bois enjoy the body ache, chills, dehydration, fatigue, fever, flushing, loss of appetite, and sweating

Splinty

Shake 'em off
Admin
Dec 31, 2014
Got my flu vaccine. Advised and ordered the giving of hundreds more so far. Already seeing cases here.

M

member 3289

Thanks Disciplined Galt @Galt and @Miesha's Taint and BrunoMcGyver @BrunoMcGyver for sending us flu from down under.
  • an A/Brisbane/02/2018 (H1N1)pdm09-like virus;
  • an A/Kansas/14/2017 (H3N2)-like virus;
  • a B/Colorado/06/2017-like virus (B/Victoria lineage).
  • a B/Phuket/3073/2013-like virus (B/Yamagata lineage)
You forgot Sheepdog @lordofthepies. Or maybe you omitted him intentionally because he's going to be watching UFC 243 live soon.

The last thing anyone would want to do is negatively affect his otherwise cheery demeanor.

Hauler

Been fallin so long it's like gravitys gone
Feb 3, 2016
When do they know if they guessed at the correct strand? What are the odds? 1 out of 12,000?

Splinty

Shake 'em off
Admin
Dec 31, 2014
When do they know if they guessed at the correct strand? What are the odds? 1 out of 12,000?
What do you mean by "guessed right"?
The exact strain? We choose four strains based on Southern Hemisphere flu season, historical flu trends in North America, and morbidity and mortality risk. Certain flu B is very dangerous to kids, so maybe we toss in coverage for that at a 75% confidence interval instead of a less risky strain at a 95% confidence interval.We only get four strains in the average vaccine due to cost reasons. We could cover more but its not cost effective.

Then beyond that, even if the stats guess "wrong" and get a cousin strain instead of the one you are targeting, your antibodies will still give you a more mild disease. Guessed wrong, still benefited.

And all that is at the individual level, where even a "low" specificity vaccine by glycoprotein identification is highly effective if enough people get it. So a major variable in effectiveness is not just the vaccine, but the campaign.

A perfect vaccine is crappy if few get it. And the oppositie can be true as well.

kaladin stormblessed

Nala fanboy
Apr 24, 2017
My insurance covered it plus Publix gave me a $10 gift card. If you live in a civilized state with a Publix then I suggest you take advantage of this deal before it's too late.

All you anti-vaxxer fuck bois enjoy the body ache, chills, dehydration, fatigue, fever, flushing, loss of appetite, and sweating
Tripanophobia. Never gotten the flu... well that's probably not true. But I'll never admit it

kaladin stormblessed

Nala fanboy
Apr 24, 2017
The exact strain? We choose four strains based on Southern Hemisphere flu season, historical flu trends in North America, and morbidity and mortality risk. Certain flu B is very dangerous to kids, so maybe we toss in coverage for that at a 75% confidence interval instead of a less risky strain at a 95% confidence interval.We only get four strains in the average vaccine due to cost reasons. We could cover more but its not cost effective.

Then beyond that, even if the stats guess "wrong" and get a cousin strain instead of the one you are targeting, your antibodies will still give you a more mild disease. Guessed wrong, still benefited.

And all that is at the individual level, where even a "low" specificity vaccine by glycoprotein identification is highly effective if enough people get it. So a major variable in effectiveness is not just the vaccine, but the campaign.

A perfect vaccine is crappy if few get it. And the oppositie can be true as well.
Do you need to renew flue shotd then if your getting the same 4 every year? Or is the built-up resistant transient?

M

member 3289

Tripaphobia. Never gotten the flu... well that's probably not true. But I'll never admit it
Trypanophobia you Jersey tard.

I used to be 100% ok with them. As I've gotten older I've gone from staring directly at the needle without blinking to turning my head in the opposite direction and closing my eyes

kaladin stormblessed

Nala fanboy
Apr 24, 2017
Trypanophobia you Jersey tard.

I used to be 100% ok with them. As I've gotten older I've gone from staring directly at the needle without blinking to turning my head in the opposite direction and closing my eyes
Next step, turning head to side, closing eyes, and whimpering (I fixed the typo, minus the y, before your comment ftr(

Hauler

Been fallin so long it's like gravitys gone
Feb 3, 2016

j/k. I'm just talking out my ass. I was a "fuck the flu shot" guy until a few years ago when someone told me that just because I never got sick didn't mean I couldn't be a carrier and get someone with a shitty immune system sick. I've gotten the shot the last couple of seasons. I'll get it again this year. I just hope the nurses are more attractive this time around.

BeardOfKnowledge

The Most Consistent Motherfucker You Know
Jul 22, 2015

j/k. I'm just talking out my ass. I was a "fuck the flu shot" guy until a few years ago when someone told me that just because I never got sick didn't mean I couldn't be a carrier and get someone with a shitty immune system sick. I've gotten the shot the last couple of seasons. I'll get it again this year. I just hope the nurses are more attractive this time around.
I'm so proud of you.