Sports Just purchased a new gun

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to Sign Up today.

Splinty

Shake 'em off
Admin
Dec 31, 2014
This a Mossberg 44 .22
Shoots shorts and LR from a 7 round magazine.

This is a 44US target trainer. It was made to train troops in WWII. Total production of the 44US was 71,628 rifles through March, 1945.
It has a Lyman peep sight on it which came on the earliest models and was replaced by a cheaper to make s-100 later on.

It's got a heavy stock, bull barrel, and is lead lapped (a process of smoothing the bore for increased accuracy). In short, it shoots like a champion and is a cool piece of history for less cost than a modern .22

Not my target...

Gonna get it all cleaned up and oil the wood (heh!)

Splinty

Shake 'em off
Admin
Dec 31, 2014
Thats awesome. How did you find that deal?
About 5 years ago the Civilian Marksmanship Program (CMP) came across an old US surplus stock. They sold them off on the cheap.I hemmed and hawed and missed out. Ever since then I've been low bidding online auctions, checking local gun shops, etc. They are all around but everyone wants almost 500 for a good specimen. That's twice what they were 5 years ago from the CMP.

Finally came across the one in the pics and low balled it at $290...and they gave it up!

seekntruth

#keepladyhands
First 100
Jan 18, 2015
Picked up this flat dark earth Savage 11 Scout on Monday! Not as cool as Splinty @Splinty 'S find, but finally pulled the trigger after reading The Art of the Rifle almost 20 years ago and being intrigued by Col. Coopers ideas.

Put a few rounds through it to check the function, it's a sweet shooter, but will be this Sunday before Im able to sling a proper amount of lead.

The muzzle brake is gone and has a thread protector in its place...reduced the overall length to under a meter. That fucking brake was loud as shit!!

Still need to add a Ching sling and a ler scope...but that's a few weeks off.

BeardOfKnowledge

The Most Consistent Motherfucker You Know
Jul 22, 2015
Picked up this flat dark earth Savage 11 Scout on Monday! Not as cool as Splinty @Splinty 'S find, but finally pulled the trigger after reading The Art of the Rifle almost 20 years ago and being intrigued by Col. Coopers ideas.

Put a few rounds through it to check the function, it's a sweet shooter, but will be this Sunday before Im able to sling a proper amount of lead.

The muzzle brake is gone and has a thread protector in its place...reduced the overall length to under a meter. That fucking brake was loud as shit!!

Still need to add a Ching sling and a ler scope...but that's a few weeks off.
Man after my own heart right there.

La Paix

Fuck this place
First 100
Jan 14, 2015
BeardOfKnowledge @JohnyHendricksBeard

I'm planning on getting my FAC/PAL and core this year and will need some input from you. I did all this in the early 2000s but never mailed off the paperwork iirc so I gotta do it again. Recommend me a reliable handgun and rifle that'll get me deer, elk and moose. I have a 7mm mag( I think) from my dad I can pick up whenever, it's his old deer gun but it's in good shape. Oh I'd also like a shotgun for birds or the range

Don't mean to derail, I couldn't remember the gun thread you made way back but you can reply there if you like.

GSPTrainingInAPool

Man on the silver mountain
Dec 1, 2015
rifle that'll get me deer, elk and moose
If you are going to be hunting elk and moose, then use a 30-06. A .308 or 30-30 will be good for deer but could be considered under powered for big game like elk. As to what model you want, it all depends on what's carried at your shops. At the PAL course they will have (or they should anyway) many rifles for you to handle and get used to. If you fall in love with one of those then pick it up! Nothing better than actually holding the physical specimen compared to watching video reviews

La Paix

Fuck this place
First 100
Jan 14, 2015
If you are going to be hunting elk and moose, then use a 30-06. A .308 or 30-30 will be good for deer but could be considered under powered for big game like elk. As to what model you want, it all depends on what's carried at your shops. At the PAL course they will have (or they should anyway) many rifles for you to handle and get used to. If you fall in love with one of those then pick it up! Nothing better than actually holding the physical specimen compared to watching video reviews
As of now I don't plan on collecting so I'd rather find 3-4 I can use for specific purposes.

GSPTrainingInAPool

Man on the silver mountain
Dec 1, 2015
As of now I don't plan on collecting so I'd rather find 3-4 I can use for specific purposes.
3-4 different rifles? i'd say that is a collection! lol uhmmm i'd go with a nice bush gun like a win 30-30 lever, a .308 for deer, 30-06 for moose, and that 7mm for elk and if you want to go after any of those big bears in BC

La Paix

Fuck this place
First 100
Jan 14, 2015
3-4 different rifles? i'd say that is a collection! lol uhmmm i'd go with a nice bush gun like a win 30-30 lever, a .308 for deer, 30-06 for moose, and that 7mm for elk and if you want to go after any of those big bears in BC
Lol no sorry I mean 3-4 total. One pistol, one rifle, one shotgun and then see what i may need.

yuki2054

graded martial artist
Nov 8, 2016
This a Mossberg 44 .22
Shoots shorts and LR from a 7 round magazine.

This is a 44US target trainer. It was made to train troops in WWII. Total production of the 44US was 71,628 rifles through March, 1945.
It has a Lyman peep sight on it which came on the earliest models and was replaced by a cheaper to make s-100 later on.

It's got a heavy stock, bull barrel, and is lead lapped (a process of smoothing the bore for increased accuracy). In short, it shoots like a champion and is a cool piece of history for less cost than a modern .22

Not my target...

Gonna get it all cleaned up and oil the wood (heh!)
Nice

BeardOfKnowledge

The Most Consistent Motherfucker You Know
Jul 22, 2015
Lol no sorry I mean 3-4 total. One pistol, one rifle, one shotgun and then see what i may need.
Shotgun needs to be a 12 gauge, with interchangeable chokes. 3 inch chamber minimum, but 3.5 is a nice. I shoot my shotgun more than I do any other gun I have, additionally all of my hunting is done with a shotgun. So I spent good money and got exactly what I wanted(Benelli Super Black Eagle II). For what you're talking about you could certainly get by just fine with an inexpensive pump, but as I said, I shoot a lot of shotgun, so I wanted something I really enjoyed shooting.

Pistol is a subject of some debate just because there are so many different styles and caliber options. Of the 4 pistols I've owned so far my Colt 1911 in .45 is the only one that I don't think about selling. Realistically a 22lr or 9mm pistol are the most logical choices as in Canada they're essentially relegated to range only use and magazines are limited to 10 rounds. .45 gets pricey to shoot, but fuck me is it ever fun. The holes in your targets are also so big that you don't need to bother walking down the range to see them which is a real time saver.

When it comes to rifles I at this time own 2. An AR15 that I shoot at the range, and a Savage bolt action in .308. I went with .308 because the recoil is relatively mild, ammo is available everywhere, it's not obscenely expensive to buy ammo for and it's adequate for putting down any game I'm going to come across here in Ontario should I decide to go on a rifle hunt. Realistically outside of bear I'd likely use my crossbow on a big game hunt anyways, but I digress. If I lived in B.C. I'd probably go with a .308 and a 300 Win Mag to make sure all my bases are covered. Yes, a 300 Win Mag will do anything a .308 will, but the recoil of a .300 Win Mag and cost of ammo will get old quick, which is why I'd suggest getting 2 and using the bigger option when needed and leaving it at home when it's not. 7mm Rem Mag is as good an option as the 300 win, but the same caveats of cost and recoil apply. They aren't really "do all" calibers, but if your old man is going to give you a 7mm then skip the 300 win mag and put that money toward one of the other guns :)

If you really want specific make and model input for any of the above I'm more than happy to help with that too, but fit and feel is very subjective when it comes to firearms. So when a friend or someone from work asks me what you just did, I usually give them some advice on caliber selections that will fulfill their needs, and advise them to go fondle some guns in those calibers at the store and then report back with what they liked. That's usually the easiest way to point someone in the right direction. Some that seem great on the internet, will feel like shit when you pick them up, and some that seem just okay could be exactly what you didn't know you wanted.

Filthy

Iowa Wrestling Champion
Jun 28, 2016
308 is fine for elk, given the appropriate range and bullet weight.

La Paix

Fuck this place
First 100
Jan 14, 2015
Shotgun needs to be a 12 gauge, with interchangeable chokes. 3 inch chamber minimum, but 3.5 is a nice. I shoot my shotgun more than I do any other gun I have, additionally all of my hunting is done with a shotgun. So I spent good money and got exactly what I wanted(Benelli Super Black Eagle II). For what you're talking about you could certainly get by just fine with an inexpensive pump, but as I said, I shoot a lot of shotgun, so I wanted something I really enjoyed shooting.

Pistol is a subject of some debate just because there are so many different styles and caliber options. Of the 4 pistols I've owned so far my Colt 1911 in .45 is the only one that I don't think about selling. Realistically a 22lr or 9mm pistol are the most logical choices as in Canada they're essentially relegated to range only use and magazines are limited to 10 rounds. .45 gets pricey to shoot, but fuck me is it ever fun. The holes in your targets are also so big that you don't need to bother walking down the range to see them which is a real time saver.

When it comes to rifles I at this time own 2. An AR15 that I shoot at the range, and a Savage bolt action in .308. I went with .308 because the recoil is relatively mild, ammo is available everywhere, it's not obscenely expensive to buy ammo for and it's adequate for putting down any game I'm going to come across here in Ontario should I decide to go on a rifle hunt. Realistically outside of bear I'd likely use my crossbow on a big game hunt anyways, but I digress. If I lived in B.C. I'd probably go with a .308 and a 300 Win Mag to make sure all my bases are covered. Yes, a 300 Win Mag will do anything a .308 will, but the recoil of a .300 Win Mag and cost of ammo will get old quick, which is why I'd suggest getting 2 and using the bigger option when needed and leaving it at home when it's not. 7mm Rem Mag is as good an option as the 300 win, but the same caveats of cost and recoil apply. They aren't really "do all" calibers, but if your old man is going to give you a 7mm then skip the 300 win mag and put that money toward one of the other guns :)

If you really want specific make and model input for any of the above I'm more than happy to help with that too, but fit and feel is very subjective when it comes to firearms. So when a friend or someone from work asks me what you just did, I usually give them some advice on caliber selections that will fulfill their needs, and advise them to go fondle some guns in those calibers at the store and then report back with what they liked. That's usually the easiest way to point someone in the right direction. Some that seem great on the internet, will feel like shit when you pick them up, and some that seem just okay could be exactly what you didn't know you wanted.
Thanks for taking the time for all that.

My dad uses a 300 weatherby exclusively but only does one big hunt a year, he loves it. Ill keep reading up and once I'm certified ill be hitting you up again.

Is there some good sites for used guns in Canada for purchase or is it best to buy new or at local swaps?