Just signed up for BJJ TME

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to Sign Up today.

As above...Very Minor MMA experience...Boxed as a kid..Done some jits as a kid. But basically starting from scratch. The school does MMA training aswell as grappling and BJJ.
Interested in all of the above for fitness and basically getting myself a hobby. What are the do's and don'ts peeps?
Partial reason of the thread is to keep myself motivated to keep at it and earn some skills along the way.

TME....Thanks in advance!

Robbie Hart

All Biden Voters Are Mindless Sheep
Feb 13, 2015
Leigh @Leigh teaches and just won his billionth tournament....he will be a good one that might be able to help.

From someone who trained/practiced for 4 years, just go in there with a humble attitude and ask for help.

My coach at the time i was involved didn't do a whole lot of repetitions to get to certain positions...when he did, which was rare, I found that to be most beneficial........he loved leg locks and had us do a ton of reps one time getting to heel hook position ....i instinctively went to leg locks 3 times in a tournament when I got reversed and taken down......and it was rare and alien for me to be taken down in those tournaments...point is, I found the reps to be extremely helpful.

Also, roll at the end of class with someone in a session to test yourself once you get up and running.....not to kill each other but to get your sea legs under you as practice/live rolling is a whole different ballgame to reps and practicing.....obvious I know but some schools I visited didn't do live rolling.....

Don't think you can take your coach/instructor down with ease like I did on my first day........he tore my face off (kindly) when I shot and had my head on the outside.....he said don't do it again like that so I did it again and he tore my face off again.....lol

My 2 cents......

Good luck and enjoy

Leigh

Engineer
Pro Fighter
Jan 26, 2015
Some general thoughts off the top of my head, none of which are personal against you:

Don't worry about being tapped out. You are there to learn, not to win. Each round is you vs you, not you vs them. If you get tapped 5 times but get off the sweep you wanted, you won that round.

Keep to the hygiene rules - no hair gel, short nails, don't stink of B.O., clean gi etc.

Be a good drilling partner. Don't resist everything. You'll get a chance to do that in rolling.

Yes we understand BJJ is not the same as a MMA fight and that IRL you would punch your way through De La Riva guard. Forget that and learn the jiujitsu.

Be cool in rolling. Spazzing out in BJJ and/or increasing the power of your punches in MMA/boxing because you're losing is likely to be a painful lesson.

Some general thoughts off the top of my head, none of which are personal against you:

Don't worry about being tapped out. You are there to learn, not to win. Each round is you vs you, not you vs them. If you get tapped 5 times but get off the sweep you wanted, you won that round.

Keep to the hygiene rules - no hair gel, short nails, don't stink of B.O., clean gi etc.

Be a good drilling partner. Don't resist everything. You'll get a chance to do that in rolling.

Yes we understand BJJ is not the same as a MMA fight and that IRL you would punch your way through De La Riva guard. Forget that and learn the jiujitsu.

Be cool in rolling. Spazzing out in BJJ and/or increasing the power of your punches in MMA/boxing because you're losing is likely to be a painful lesson.
Thanks buddy...Much appreciated.

I completely understand the hygiene rules and I always try to give respect where it is due.. No big attitude from me.. Just a newbie...Thanks for the advice...And Thx to Robbie Hart @Robbie Hart

M

member 603

I can't agree with Leigh @Leigh enough here. I tell all my students, this martial art/sport is a marathon, not a sprint. Focus on learning and improving, not so much winning or "not being beaten". The only way you'll improve and learn is from the millions of mistakes you'll make in training, so check the ego at the door and welcome the lessons you'll be learning.

Also, don't forget to stretch, hydrate, warm up, and all the other things everyone new never does (and regrets not doing when injuries start to compile). Know that bumps and bruises are part of the process, listen to your body. Finally, this is a advance at your own pace/rate art.... The more you train, the faster the learning process can be... But also natural abilities come to play.... I have a student who has been training for 11 months, and he's about 45, he was saying that he didn't get why this young jacked 17 year old was having his way with him right off the bat (kid also wrestled).... Just because someone may have better physical attributes, or picks it up a little faster, doesn't mean anything negative about you.

Above all, have fun and enjoy the journey.... I look forward to welcoming you one day to the black belt club (great catering here)

SC MMA MD

TMMAC Addict
Jan 20, 2015
I am late to the party here, but I you have already gotten solid advice.

A few things I can add:

Figure out a schedule of when you will train, and try to stick to it. Once you start missing for this, that and the other thing people start to expect you to forgo BJJ if anything else comes up, and before you know it you are missing big chunks of time.

Use the move you learned in class when you roll (or at least try to)

Don't hesitate to ask upper belts questions about what you could be doing better or why you keep getting caught with certain positions at the end of class or after you roll.

Beware white and new blue belts trying to teach you things unless they are specifically asked to do so by the instructor.

Mix6APlix

The more you cry, the less I care.
Oct 20, 2015

This is 100% accurate. Wash your gi after every session, but never wash your belt as it will lose it's chi. Don't worry about staph, that shit is a myth. And certainly keep short nails, or wait for your nail to get caught on your partner's gi and get ripped clean off, your choice. Sometimes the most painful lessons are the ones you will never forget, it's a delicate balance.

Darqnezz

Merkin' fools since pre-school
Apr 25, 2015
You will become utterly frustrated at some point. Daily ass whipping will do that to anyone. Don't think that you're the only one it happens to. Some days I feel like a brand new white belt. Just Don't Quit.

Mix6APlix

The more you cry, the less I care.
Oct 20, 2015
Don't worry about technique either. Just be explosive when some has you in full mount.

Also use a lot of starch on your sleeves. Even from the bottom you can give someone a good face rash with a sleeve starched to the consistency of sandpaper.

Left Hook Larry

3x Undisputed Monsters Champ/King of Buttertooths
First 100
Jan 14, 2015
Figure out the rolling times and conserve your energy if they usually have you rolling for 30 min+. Just an opinion but i'd rather roll at 60% for 30-45 min then roll at 90% for 15 and be gassed after that point. I get a lot of different feels and more reps in every position.

Hey @Mieshas Taint , how goes your training journey?
Was going OK mate although I am not half as committed as I would like to be due to changing jobs recently and having my daughter here on holiday...I also slipped and fucked 2 ligaments the other night...Only minor injuries so I want to do my best to get into it seriously in the new year....Thanks for asking mate...I really hope I can do it more positively this year...Being on a roof all day in 30 degrees and not coming home and drinking cold beers straight away is my demon.

Super Dave

The party’s over
Dec 28, 2015
Good stuff in here. I just discovered a new school in my area.

Plan on checking it out and finally getting into this thing.

Any questions I should have when I go have a look?

Super Dave

The party’s over
Dec 28, 2015

Tried searching the subforum for beginners advice and this was the first one that popped up.

If there's a thread I missed that has info please share to save repeating yourself.

Thanks!

SAJ

Posting Machine
Aug 2, 2015

Most places will offer you a free trial if you are new, take the free class and see if you like the environment, teaching, training partners etc

SAJ

Posting Machine
Aug 2, 2015
Tried searching the subforum for beginners advice and this was the first one that popped up.

If there's a thread I missed that has info please share to save repeating yourself.

Thanks!
I also made a similar thread when I was new and everyone here gave me some advice, search it up it's here somewhere.

Rambo John J

Eats things that would make a Billy Goat Puke
First 100
Jan 17, 2015

whats your age Super? not that it matters