General Just spotted a bald eagle

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to Sign Up today.

Toelocku

*I Know What I Know if you Know What I Mean*
Dec 15, 2018
First time I've ever seen one in Southern Ohio thing was a monster eating on a deer by the side of the road... kind of a big deal around here

First time I've ever seen one in Southern Ohio thing was a monster eating on a deer by the side of the road... kind of a big deal around here
They've started showing up in Southern Indiana too. It's fucking beautiful.

Hauler

Been fallin so long it's like gravitys gone
Feb 3, 2016
I've spotted a few in SW Ohio too.

Saw 3 of them sitting along a riverbank while I was driving the other day. Very cool.

The kayak livery I frequent has a nest along the course and sightings are pretty common.

Very cool to see them making a comeback in this area.

BeardOfKnowledge

The Most Consistent Motherfucker You Know
Jul 22, 2015
A great story of ESA success. Too bad the greenies are trying to make sure it never happens again.

Grateful Dude

TMMAC Addict
May 30, 2016
Don't see them often here in central Texas, but they do winter here and can be spotted occasionally. Caracara's are a lot more common to see.

The wife and I got married at a nature resort called Canyon of the Eagles, which is out in the hill country region of Tx. They have a bunch of cabins that all of our guests stayed in, and their property is one of the places that the eagles nest in the winter. There was all kinds of nature shit to do out there - its right on a huge lake, nature trails, an observatory with a big telescope, and tons of wildlife and wildflowers (one of my aunts almost stepped on a rattler hah). Was a cool place, I should go back sometime.

M

member 3289

Was just reading an article about them last night. Apparently we have 300,000 of them in the lower 48 states now (and a lot more in Alaska).

They don't often nest this far south, but we get a breeding pair every year or two. People lose their shit every time of course. The latest breeding pair even has their own location on Google maps:

Screenshot_20210325-113902_Maps.jpg

Grateful Dude

TMMAC Addict
May 30, 2016
A great story of ESA success. Too bad the greenies are trying to make sure it never happens again.
Based on your post, you probably already understand this, but I'm going to rant for a minute. Part of my job is working on projects that have to coordinate with USFWS for endangered/threatened species issues (I'm permitted for about 25 species). After years of doing this, I can tell you that I am extremely jaded and frustrated at the reality of the Act and how it functions. Unfortunately, in practice very little is actually about protecting species. In my experience, most of the time there is a much larger agenda other than protecting or recovering certain species. The Act is largely just a tool (or weapon) that activists use to shut down development they don't like or to limit how private landowners can utilize their land. It is not uncommon for species to be listed in error, while species that could actually benefit from protection are ignored. As a whole, I find it pretty off-putting at this point. I will say that many of the USFWS employees that I know all have their hearts in the right place (and some of them are quite sharp as biologists), but the political puppeteering from those with power is way beyond their control. Reform should be sought, but I can't see how any meaningful change will come. At least not anytime soon.

Rambo John J

Eats things that would make a Billy Goat Puke
First 100
Jan 17, 2015
You may see them more often than you realize.

Juvenilles have mottled feathers and don't get the prominent white head and tail until 2 years of age or so

A lot of em up here and many people mistake the juveniles for Osprey, even though Osprey behave and fly differently and don't look nearly the same if you know what to look for(tail feathers, size, shape of head, how they fly, color of feet, Osprey also have a distinct call/sound/cry)
1616688751968.png
1616688766777.png
1616688834045.png
Adult Osprey
1616688914986.png

Last edited:

Jesus X

4 drink minimum.
Sep 7, 2015
Was just reading an article about them last night. Apparently we have 300,000 of them in the lower 48 states now (and a lot more in Alaska).

They don't often nest this far south, but we get a breeding pair every year or two. People lose their shit every time of course. The latest breeding pair even has their own location on Google maps:

View attachment 31279
that eagle should stay away from the police firing range down the street.

kaladin stormblessed

Nala fanboy
Apr 24, 2017
You may see them more often than you realize.

Juvenilles have mottled feathers and don't get the prominent white head and tail until 2 years of age or so

A lot of em up here and many people mistake the juveniles for Osprey, even though Osprey behave and fly differently and don't look nearly the same if you know what to look for(tail feathers, size, shape of head, how they fly, color of feet, Osprey also have a distinct call/sound/cry)
View attachment 31280
View attachment 31281
View attachment 31282
Adult Osprey
View attachment 31284
very cool. from above them* or when* they are perched, the juveniles look like small golden eagles for someone not too well versed like myself

Last edited:

Rambo John J

First 100
Jan 17, 2015
very cool. from above themx or whrn they are perched, the juveniles look like small golden eagles for someone not too well versed like myself
Yes they do resemble golden eagles...Golden Eagles can be bigger as you know

as for the rest of your post I can't really understand it, your words are getting jumbly again

Rambo John J

First 100
Jan 17, 2015
very cool. from above them* or when* they are perched, the juveniles look like small golden eagles for someone not too well versed like myself
From below the Osprey fly have an prominent angle on the front their wing that bald eagles don't really have
From below the tail feathers on Osprey are not splayed as wide as a bald

If perched look at the feet or head...Bald eagles yellow or orangish...Osprey white/grey

Golden eagles when perched are darker and more solid color than a perched juvenile Baldie...Golden underside when flying is mottled

Most of the confusion up here for people is only when they are flying above us...I do a lot of stuff near the rivers and it is mostly Osprey and Baldies on the rivers...Big Hawks perched on fences on roadsides are usually mostly Red Tailed Hawks

The Osprey like to fly the rivers in front/downstream of boaters here, they watch the fish move to safety when the fish smell/hear the boaters coming and they take advantage of the movement to dive in and snatch em out for a meal...very cool to watch

kaladin stormblessed

Nala fanboy
Apr 24, 2017
From below the Osprey fly have an prominent angle on the front their wing that bald eagles don't really have
From below the tail feathers on Osprey are not splayed as wide as a bald

If perched look at the feet or head...Bald eagles yellow or orangish...Osprey white/grey

Golden eagles when perched are darker and more solid color than a perched juvenile Baldie...Golden underside when flying is mottled

Most of the confusion up here for people is only when they are flying above us...I do a lot of stuff near the rivers and it is mostly Osprey and Baldies on the rivers...Big Hawks perched on fences on roadsides are usually mostly Red Tailed Hawks

The Osprey like to fly the rivers in front/downstream of boaters here, they watch the fish move to safety when the fish smell/hear the boaters coming and they take advantage of the movement to dive in and snatch em out for a meal...very cool to watch
sick post, thanks!

red tailed hawks are common in jersey so i see them fairly often

and there are enough bald eagles that ill see them a few times a year, but its usually only in a fly by. a magestic 20 seconds, whereas there alwaus seems to be a local red-tailed hawk couple, at least, in northwest jersey towns. love them!

thats sick info on the ospreys being water hunters btw

BeardOfKnowledge

The Most Consistent Motherfucker You Know
Jul 22, 2015
Based on your post, you probably already understand this, but I'm going to rant for a minute. Part of my job is working on projects that have to coordinate with USFWS for endangered/threatened species issues (I'm permitted for about 25 species). After years of doing this, I can tell you that I am extremely jaded and frustrated at the reality of the Act and how it functions. Unfortunately, in practice very little is actually about protecting species. In my experience, most of the time there is a much larger agenda other than protecting or recovering certain species. The Act is largely just a tool (or weapon) that activists use to shut down development they don't like or to limit how private landowners can utilize their land. It is not uncommon for species to be listed in error, while species that could actually benefit from protection are ignored. As a whole, I find it pretty off-putting at this point. I will say that many of the USFWS employees that I know all have their hearts in the right place (and some of them are quite sharp as biologists), but the political puppeteering from those with power is way beyond their control. Reform should be sought, but I can't see how any meaningful change will come. At least not anytime soon.
In the more conservation minded hunting community the ESA is starting to be referred to as the "Protect my favorite animal act" after the shit show that's been the delisting of grizzlies in the GYE and similar nonsense with wolves.

That being said, thank you for the important work you do.

SongExotic2

ATM 3 CHAMPION OF THE WORLD. #FREECAIN
First 100
Jan 16, 2015
You guys ever see one of them California condors? I saw one at the zoo. It was sat on a perch then all of a sudden spread its wings and sailed to the perch at the other side. Cunt was as big as Godzilla. There was gasps from the watching audience.