General Just spotted a bald eagle

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to Sign Up today.
M

member 3289

Don't see them often here in central Texas, but they do winter here and can be spotted occasionally. Caracara's are a lot more common to see.
Crested caracaras I'm guessing? I've heard of them but they're way rarer than bald eagles here. Didn't realize how cool-looking they were.

Screenshot_20210325-145317_iNaturalist.jpg

Grateful Dude

TMMAC Addict
May 30, 2016
Crested caracaras I'm guessing? I've heard of them but they're way rarer than bald eagles here. Didn't realize how cool-looking they were.

View attachment 31300
Yes, I believe that is the correct one. And yeah, they are pretty cool looking birds. It's pretty common for people to see the white head and think it was an eagle. I'm not all that good with birds, but I think they may be present all the time here (i.e. not just winter nesting).

I've seen them mixed in with a bunch of vultures eating a carcass, I guess those two species get along well enough

Hauler

Been fallin so long it's like gravitys gone
Feb 3, 2016
This is a shitty pic with my phone - this dude was way up there. But I was wondering if it was a Bald Eagle.

Perhaps one of the experts can weigh in?

20200531_121936.jpg

M

member 1013

Toelocku @Toelocku i am sorry if I was mean to you ITT

i know how much you look up to me and would never want to betray that

jason73

Yuri Bezmenov was right
First 100
Jan 15, 2015
they are like fucking rats around here

1616713533959.png

1616713604402.png

not really around here but squawmish and pemberton BC both have shit loads of bald eagles and have basically built their tourism industry around eagle tours. they feast on the salmon when they run inland . we mainly have red tailed hawks and perigrine falcons where i live but you do see the odd bald eagle too

M

member 1013

they are like fucking rats around here

View attachment 31314

View attachment 31315

not really around here but squawmish and pemberton BC both have shit loads of bald eagles and have basically built their tourism industry around eagle tours. they feast on the salmon when they run inland . we mainly have red tailed hawks and perigrine falcons where i live but you do see the odd bald eagle too
Yea but you guys got like, lots of cool animals mkay

Rambo John J

Eats things that would make a Billy Goat Puke
First 100
Jan 17, 2015
You guys ever see one of them California condors? I saw one at the zoo. It was sat on a perch then all of a sudden spread its wings and sailed to the perch at the other side. Cunt was as big as Godzilla. There was gasps from the watching audience.
They are attempting a re-introduction into the wild soon in California I read recently
1616713984798.png
1616714038481.png

Attachments

M

member 3289

This is a shitty pic with my phone - this dude was way up there. But I was wondering if it was a Bald Eagle.

Perhaps one of the experts can weigh in?

View attachment 31313
Was it soaring like that the whole time or did it flap its wings occasionally?

If the former, it's probably a vulture. If the latter, probably an eagle.

Looks like a bald eagle.

Hauler

Feb 3, 2016
since none of the bird experts here have chymed in, id say yes. if i saw that, id think it was a bald eagle too

question. was it circling? (which im guessing may indicate hunting) or was it a fly-by?
We have a bunch of turkey vultures here - it was about 3x higher than what they typically fly around at. It was circling, but very wide circles. Way up there.

Hauler

Feb 3, 2016
Was it soaring like that the whole time or did it flap its wings occasionally?

If the former, it's probably a vulture. If the latter, probably an eagle.

Looks like a bald eagle.
I didn't notice any flapping at all. Just big, wide circles - like a 1/2 mile diameter circle. It was like it was in an updraft or something. Most of the vultures around here fly around in groups. This dude was by himself - and roughly 3x higher than I typically see vultures at.

M

member 1013

We have a bunch of turkey vultures here - it was about 3x higher than what they typically fly around at. It was circling, but very wide circles. Way up there.
Turkey vultures ride thermals extremely high

M

member 1013

I didn't notice any flapping at all. Just big, wide circles - like a 1/2 mile diameter circle. It was like it was in an updraft or something. Most of the vultures around here fly around in groups. This dude was by himself - and roughly 3x higher than I typically see vultures at.
It was a vulture. They’ll climb as high as the thermal allows