General Just spotted a bald eagle

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to Sign Up today.
Nov 21, 2015
Based on your post, you probably already understand this, but I'm going to rant for a minute. Part of my job is working on projects that have to coordinate with USFWS for endangered/threatened species issues (I'm permitted for about 25 species). After years of doing this, I can tell you that I am extremely jaded and frustrated at the reality of the Act and how it functions. Unfortunately, in practice very little is actually about protecting species. In my experience, most of the time there is a much larger agenda other than protecting or recovering certain species. The Act is largely just a tool (or weapon) that activists use to shut down development they don't like or to limit how private landowners can utilize their land. It is not uncommon for species to be listed in error, while species that could actually benefit from protection are ignored. As a whole, I find it pretty off-putting at this point. I will say that many of the USFWS employees that I know all have their hearts in the right place (and some of them are quite sharp as biologists), but the political puppeteering from those with power is way beyond their control. Reform should be sought, but I can't see how any meaningful change will come. At least not anytime soon.
Wanted to be a Wildlife Photographer when I was a kid
with a specilization in Raptors. Even apprenticed under a
Master Falconer and passed my states exam...

Then teenage hormones and life kicked in.

Nov 21, 2015
I've spotted a few in SW Ohio too.

Saw 3 of them sitting along a riverbank while I was driving the other day. Very cool.

The kayak livery I frequent has a nest along the course and sightings are pretty common.

Very cool to see them making a comeback in this area.
Did my Highschool term paper on the affects of DDT and deforestation
on raptors. We almost screwed the pooch and killed them off entirely

BeardOfKnowledge

The Most Consistent Motherfucker You Know
Jul 22, 2015
I enjoyed and appreciated Eagles but Falcons were always what I loved.

Prairie Falcon Superman Punch for the win...

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=73OvZ_l35Sw
We've got Peregrines around here. I saw one eating something on a neighbors driveway once while I was driving to work. That was pretty fucking cool. We also have a couple varieties of owls and turkey vultures. To be honest I think the vulture is my favorite. It's like watching the grim reaper.

Nov 21, 2015
We've got Peregrines around here. I saw one eating something on a neighbors driveway once while I was driving to work. That was pretty fucking cool. We also have a couple varieties of owls and turkey vultures. To be honest I think the vulture is my favorite. It's like watching the grim reaper.
Very nice! Love Peregrines, Gyrfalcons, Lanners etc.. and the Hybrids they
are creating crossing Gyr (for size) and Peregrine for agility are some amazing
birds.