Kayla Harrison to fight Jozette Cotton at PFL 6 on Aug. 16

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to Sign Up today.

nuraknu

savage
Jul 20, 2016

Kayla Harrison has her second MMA assignment.

The two-time Olympic gold medalist will face Jozette Cotton at PFL 6 on Aug. 16 in Atlantic City, New Jersey, multiple sources told ESPN. The fight will take place at 155 pounds and will air on the main card, sources say....

Sources: Harrison to fight Cotton at PFL 6

RaginCajun

The Reigning Undisputed Monsters Tournament Champ
Oct 25, 2015
She needs to stop ducking Cyborg!!!

I hope I am doing this MMA forum thing right.

nuraknu

savage
Jul 20, 2016
There is no reason for her to ever cut to 145 imo, if she's in shape at 155. The bigger promotions could probably make her some fights at 155 if they wanted to - imo squeezing people into the wrong weight classes is like when other people come along and draw country borders that don't match the peoples living there.

I know they will push her to cut so she can cream some bantamweights at 145, but say if she fights cyborg in the future and cyborg walks at 175, why on earth should either of them cut the extra ten pounds?

Chromium

Posting Machine
Oct 10, 2016
There is no reason for her to ever cut to 145 imo, if she's in shape at 155. The bigger promotions could probably make her some fights at 155 if they wanted to - imo squeezing people into the wrong weight classes is like when other people come along and draw country borders that don't match the peoples living there.

I know they will push her to cut so she can cream some bantamweights at 145, but say if she fights cyborg in the future and cyborg walks at 175, why on earth should either of them cut the extra ten pounds?
Eventually, a 155 women's division could be viable, but right now even W145 is paper thin. If you combined all the available talent from Invicta, Bellator, and the indies, and folded it into the UFC, you'd only just barely have enough of a division to be self-sustaining. And the depth just isn't there at 155 for more than one-off fights here and there. There are very, very few women even at the level of Jozette Cotton.

If some promotion wants to start aggregating all the W155+ talent out there and put on regular matches, more power to them though. There are a few decent fighters out there, like Bobbi-Jo Dalziel.

nuraknu

savage
Jul 20, 2016
Eventually, a 155 women's division could be viable, but right now even W145 is paper thin. If you combined all the available talent from Invicta, Bellator, and the indies, and folded it into the UFC, you'd only just barely have enough of a division to be self-sustaining. And the depth just isn't there at 155 for more than one-off fights here and there. There are very, very few women even at the level of Jozette Cotton.

If some promotion wants to start aggregating all the W155+ talent out there and put on regular matches, more power to them though. There are a few decent fighters out there, like Bobbi-Jo Dalziel.
I guess I don't necessarily think Kayla Harrison needs more than one-off fights as they become available. People want to watch her right now. It doesn't seem to matter whether they give her a belt - the UFC has weakened that kind of arbitrary thing anyway.

As a fighter she may feel differently, but as a fan I don't need the division/belt thing.