Kelvin Gastelum agrees to pay fine to avoid suspension in New York

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to Sign Up today.

nuraknu

savage
Jul 20, 2016

Kelvin Gastelum has avoided suspension in the state of New York, the New York State Athletic Commission has now confirmed.

The UFC fighter's camp told ESPN.com on Tuesday he has agreed to pay a fine in lieu of any suspension. According to the NYSAC, the settlement was a fine of $2,000.

This development clears the way for Gastelum (12-2) to face middleweight Tim Kennedy (18-5) at UFC 206 on Dec. 10 in Toronto. The Ontario Athletic Commission still needs to license Gastelum, but no suspension will stand in the way of that.

...read more:
Gastelum avoids suspension in New York (ESPN/Brett Okamoto)

nuraknu

savage
Jul 20, 2016
I felt like we needed something else to talk about. So Gastelum. Kennedy. Think it's going to happen?

nuraknu

savage
Jul 20, 2016
Should be $1000 for every lb over
I don't disagree with the punishment, but how would most people pay that unless they are allowed to take another fight? It's not like he earned any kind of purse. In this case, maybe the UFC is helping him because they want him for something else, but I'm not sure what other fighters would do.

SuperPig

Enjoy yourselves
Aug 7, 2015
I hope that Kelvin surprises most people and beats Kennedy's ass.

I also want him to miss weight just so that I can see Dana's head explode.

SuperPig

Enjoy yourselves
Aug 7, 2015
I don't disagree with the punishment, but how would most people pay that unless they are allowed to take another fight? It's not like he earned any kind of purse. In this case, maybe the UFC is helping him because they want him for something else, but I'm not sure what other fighters would do.
He's basically just buying out his suspension. If he didn't have the cash then he would just be suspended for the previously stated time frame.

Greenbean

Posting Machine
Nov 14, 2015
How about a UFC calorie tax. Where their dietician consults with UFC to tell them what he should be consuming, and for every calorie over, he is charged a sin tax and for every calorie allotted, but not consumed he is rewarded a stipend. Enough calories not consumed will result in points at an online reebok kiosk.

wiz

Posting Machine
Jan 31, 2016
I hope that Kelvin surprises most people and beats Kennedy's ass.

I also want him to miss weight just so that I can see Dana's head explode.
if kelvin misses middleweight you will see the final evolved form of dana

jason73

Yuri Bezmenov was right
First 100
Jan 15, 2015
so you can just pay money to not be suspended now?

benjo0101

TMMAC Addict
Jun 13, 2016
How about a UFC calorie tax. Where their dietician consults with UFC to tell them what he should be consuming, and for every calorie over, he is charged a sin tax and for every calorie allotted, but not consumed he is rewarded a stipend. Enough calories not consumed will result in points at an online reebok kiosk.
This is a business model, I like it. We can package and sell this to the masses and make our millions.

benjo0101

TMMAC Addict
Jun 13, 2016
if kelvin misses middleweight you will see the final evolved form of dana
Not only Dana, the world might implode if this happens. 15lbs extra and he misses I will laugh so hard I might die.

Mix6APlix

The more you cry, the less I care.
Oct 20, 2015
he should have to hand roll 1000 burritos at a local soup kitchen for ever pound over imo.

edit: and not eat a single one.

Last edited:

Ted Williams' head

It's freezing in here!
Sep 23, 2015
Kelvin took a bad situation and handled it horribly.

If he was so badly over he wouldn't even show up to the weigh in's, god only knows how heavy he was.

Very unprofessional, shows a lack of character IMO.

And you know what... don't be surprised if he comes in overweight at MW!

benjo0101

TMMAC Addict
Jun 13, 2016
Kelvin took a bad situation and handled it horribly.

If he was so badly over he wouldn't even show up to the weigh in's, god only knows how heavy he was.

Very unprofessional, shows a lack of character IMO.

And you know what... don't be surprised if he comes in overweight at MW!
It is such a weird one. People were constantly asking about his weight in the run up to the fight and he went all Lance Armstrong and said it was fine, on point, lower than ever, be ready for weigh ins. Then doesnt even show up, weird weird weird. Just fight in the weight group above and dont cut if you're that lazy.