General Ketosis

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to Sign Up today.

seekntruth

#keepladyhands
First 100
Jan 18, 2015
The processed bacon really weirds me out because everything I've read says to cut your own bacon from a slab. Processed is not ketogenic.

Hmm
From everything I've read, ketosis is achieved from the lack of glycogen in your body, afik it doesn't distinguish the source.

Yuki Nakai's Eye

Slow in the head, Quick in bed
Sep 2, 2015
Back in Keto, started with a bulletproof/keto whatever nomenclature you want to use.

Hit the grocery store, don't have a Fresh Market or Whole Foods within 45 minutes so had to settle for some meh groceries. Some good, some marginal. Spent $60 USD, had many items already, such as nuts, seeds, chicken, more eggs, and a few fruits and veggies. On the cheap, but it is what it is.

Here's my haul, curious what other keto followers grocery runs look like...

Shredded cheese = fucking fail. They toss it with potato starch so it doesn't stick together. You need to step up your keto research.

seekntruth

#keepladyhands
First 100
Jan 18, 2015
Of the calories I ingested yesterday, there was a 1/4 cup of shredded cheese and a serving and a half of pepperoni slices, the rest was non processed foods or minimally processed like my cold pressed coconut oil, evoo, or grass fed butter.

I use keto for its actual metabolic process not the optics, imo keto differs from say a paleo diet in that paleo is a subset of only allowable foods without a mandated specific nutritional number...where as someone on keto has leeway to choose to eat ice cream or cheesecake(I don't do that) if it fits their requirements for macronutrients.

It may not be for everyone but that can be said about most eating plans. I wish I could justify the money or had the time to only buy "perfect" foods, just not possible in my current situation. I do the best I can with available means.

The grocery pic is not indicative of my entire diet, the optics may look bad in that context, but it's not representative of the foods actually ingested. When I'm on keto, I'd bet I ingest fewer processed calories daily than 75% of the posters here.

That damn potato starch and it's hidden boatload of carbs is going to really hinder me from progressing to a state of ketosis over the next few days...I should just give up now and head over to the Cheesecake Factory for some sweets.

As most things internet, there's those who do, and those that don't...but they've done the exhaustive "research" and can tell those that do exactly where they are failing without zero evidence that they are indeed failing.

I remember the first six months TMMAC was started, how all these random posters were telling Pitbull9 @Pitbull3744 how he was dieting and lifting wrong. Lol. There is those that do...and those that don't, but they can tell you how to do.

P.S. I'm pretty sure Pitbull9 @Pitbull3744 is not fond of a keto diet.

Limpy

Banned
Oct 20, 2015
Of the calories I ingested yesterday, there was a 1/4 cup of shredded cheese and a serving and a half of pepperoni slices, the rest was non processed foods or minimally processed like my cold pressed coconut oil, evoo, or grass fed butter.

I use keto for its actual metabolic process not the optics, imo keto differs from say a paleo diet in that paleo is a subset of only allowable foods without a mandated specific nutritional number...where as someone on keto has leeway to choose to eat ice cream or cheesecake(I don't do that) if it fits their requirements for macronutrients.

It may not be for everyone but that can be said about most eating plans. I wish I could justify the money or had the time to only buy "perfect" foods, just not possible in my current situation. I do the best I can with available means.

The grocery pic is not indicative of my entire diet, the optics may look bad in that context, but it's not representative of the foods actually ingested. When I'm on keto, I'd bet I ingest fewer processed calories daily than 75% of the posters here.

That damn potato starch and it's hidden boatload of carbs is going to really hinder me from progressing to a state of ketosis over the next few days...I should just give up now and head over to the Cheesecake Factory for some sweets.

As most things internet, there's those who do, and those that don't...but they've done the exhaustive "research" and can tell those that do exactly where they are failing without zero evidence that they are indeed failing.

I remember the first six months TMMAC was started, how all these random posters were telling Pitbull9 @Pitbull3744 how he was dieting and lifting wrong. Lol. There is those that do...and those that don't, but they can tell you how to do.

P.S. I'm pretty sure Pitbull9 @Pitbull3744 is not fond of a keto diet.
I'm not for one second saying you are wrong in any way. I'm also not saying that you think I did. My point is that a ketogenic diet can be done without processed foods. You touched on why your picture had mostly processed, no big deal.

I am extremely into health and before I jump on a diet trend I like to research it first, hence why I read a few books on the ketogenic diet.

When I was a fatass I had people telling me how to lose weight, telling me I wouldn't be able to, etc. It's human nature to criticize and act like experts. What I did was ignore it all, research how to do it properly and go with that. It was as easy as cutting processed, working hard, and having self control.

Once I lost the weight those people came back saying I'd put it back on. 152 total pounds lost, I weigh 181 this morning in better shape now at 37 than in my early 20's.

I get mistaken for being in my 20's.

If it works for you then do it. There are very few people willing to put in the work to improve themselves on their own and plenty more willing to shit on the ones trying to change.

The best thing I did wasn't losing the weight, the best thing I did was when I stopped listening to others and started trusting myself.

seekntruth

#keepladyhands
First 100
Jan 18, 2015
I'm not for one second saying you are wrong in any way. I'm also not saying that you think I did. My point is that a ketogenic diet can be done without processed foods. You touched on why your picture had mostly processed, no big deal.

I am extremely into health and before I jump on a diet trend I like to research it first, hence why I read a few books on the ketogenic diet.

When I was a fatass I had people telling me how to lose weight, telling me I wouldn't be able to, etc. It's human nature to criticize and act like experts. What I did was ignore it all, research how to do it properly and go with that. It was as easy as cutting processed, working hard, and having self control.

Once I lost the weight those people came back saying I'd put it back on. 152 total pounds lost, I weigh 181 this morning in better shape now at 37 than in my early 20's.

I get mistaken for being in my 20's.

If it works for you then do it. There are very few people willing to put in the work to improve themselves on their own and plenty more willing to shit on the ones trying to change.

The best thing I did wasn't losing the weight, the best thing I did was when I stopped listening to others and started trusting myself.
Congrats on the amazing lifestyle changes!

I agree with all of that. It's definitely a personal journey that doesn't always have a one size fits all.

I too have detailed in past threads how I went from 315 lbs in my 20's to competively running ultra's in my early and mid 30's.

My current journey isn't weight loss orientated...it's about feeling the best I possibly can given all current circumstances.

Limpy

Banned
Oct 20, 2015
Congrats on the amazing lifestyle changes!

I agree with all of that. It's definitely a personal journey that doesn't always have a one size fits all.

I too have detailed in past threads how I went from 315 lbs in my 20's to competively running ultra's in my early and mid 30's.

My current journey isn't weight loss orientated...it's about feeling the best I possibly can given all current circumstances.
We were about the same weight.

Brigsy

Jan 21, 2015
Keto makes me perform terribly athletically but I am chipping in to concur with your comments re naysayers. They really come out and try to mess with your progress. I think if you are being strong and showing that good food choices are a choice that you can do it they want to chop you down so they feel less shitty that they can't stick to a diet.

Well done man.

seekntruth

#keepladyhands
First 100
Jan 18, 2015
And how does this wizadry occur? You enter your meal into the app and it tell you? How do you know its accurate?
Yeah man it's the macro counter on the free fitness pal app. I use an iPhone so if you have an android I'm not sure if it's the same.

You basically can add your meals, either by manually inputting the ingredients, by name search, or if an item has a bar code you can scan it for the info(most everything seems to have a barcode, even the grass fed beef I bought yesterday was in the app already). Once you enter the item, you choose the serving size and it enters all the nutritional info for your meals.

You can adjust the macro ratios according to your goals as well as tracking your weight including adjustments to your intake for weight loss, gain, or maintenance.

It's super easy and there is rarely an item that I've searched that doesn't appear.

You should give it a look if you are interested in tracking what you eat for any purpose. You can access any of your meal history by dates. Much easier than pen and paper like in the old days.

Brigsy

Jan 21, 2015
Some of the scans of the barcodes are well off, its worth double checking from time to time.

seekntruth

#keepladyhands
First 100
Jan 18, 2015
Some of the scans of the barcodes are well off, its worth double checking from time to time.
Yes for sure, sometimes I've had to search by name as the scanned info didn't match to known nutritional values or vice versa.

seekntruth

#keepladyhands
First 100
Jan 18, 2015
Haha, Here's a perfect example of the beef I mentioned randomly. I bought 73%/27% but when I scanned the bar code on the packaging it gave me the info for 90%/10%...huge difference.

gangsterkathryn

저승사자
Oct 20, 2015
Haha, Here's a perfect example of the beef I mentioned randomly. I bought 73%/27% but when I scanned the bar code on the packaging it gave me the info for 90%/10%...huge difference.

One of my little snack things gave me the results for a different snack thing when I scanned it.
It wasn't even in there, so I had to add it.

KWingJitsu

ยาเม็ดสีแดงหรือสีฟ้ายา?
Nov 15, 2015
Yeah man it's the macro counter on the free fitness pal app. I use an iPhone so if you have an android I'm not sure if it's the same.

You basically can add your meals, either by manually inputting the ingredients, by name search, or if an item has a bar code you can scan it for the info(most everything seems to have a barcode, even the grass fed beef I bought yesterday was in the app already). Once you enter the item, you choose the serving size and it enters all the nutritional info for your meals.

You can adjust the macro ratios according to your goals as well as tracking your weight including adjustments to your intake for weight loss, gain, or maintenance.

It's super easy and there is rarely an item that I've searched that doesn't appear.

You should give it a look if you are interested in tracking what you eat for any purpose. You can access any of your meal history by dates. Much easier than pen and paper like in the old days.
I have a friend who used one of those apps for a while and gave up on it because it was too much work to enter exact amounts of what he ate or something like that - said it was likely inaccurate and stopped using it. He's also an iphone user.

I'm going to embark on the ketosis thing myself. Been making a few 'test dishes' to see if I can keep up with it long-term. So far, so good.
When I'm fully healed I'll do the damn thing along with a new workout. Got a lotta weight to lose.

Brigsy

Jan 21, 2015
I found once I had my regular foods dialled in it was easy. Bit of a ball ache at first though.

KWingJitsu

ยาเม็ดสีแดงหรือสีฟ้ายา?
Nov 15, 2015
Keto folks - Questions:
  • Dairy - Yay or Nay? (Some conflict here, 'cos butter & whipping cream is 'ok', but non-dairy milk is suggested?)
  • Soy - Yay or Nay? (Soy Milk? Soy Sauce [has salt] What about tofu?)
  • Carrots (baby) as snack - Yay or Nay?