Kevin Lee re-signs with UFC, expects to return in spring

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to Sign Up today.

Wild

Zi Nazi
Admin
Dec 31, 2014
Kevin Lee at weigh-ins for UFC Vegas 35 in August 2021.

First reported by Brett Okamoto of ESPN, the ‘Motown Phenom’ has signed an ‘exclusive deal’ with the promotion more than a year after he was released. Earlier this week, Lee hinted at a reunion with the UFC after posting photos with UFC president Dana White and Chief Business Officer Hunter Campbell.

“I met with Dana White and Hunter Campbell, and I feel like I’m going back home,” said Lee in a statement to ESPN. “I’m grateful for them welcoming me back and looking forward to the next chapter of my career.”

A date for his return was not reported, but Lee said he expects it to happen in Spring. As far as weight class, the 30-year-old has settled on welterweight.

In his first stint with the UFC, Lee went 11-7 in 18 fights. During that time, he fought for the interim UFC lightweight championship against Tony Ferguson at UFC 216 over five years ago. After losing to ‘El Cucuy’ by third-round triangle choke, Lee went 2-4 in his next six appearances.

Following back-to-back losses to Charles Oliveira and Daniel Rodriguez, the UFC released Lee. The one-time interim title challenger entered free agency for a short period before he joined Eagle FC, the promotion spearheaded by former UFC lightweight champion Khabib Nurmagomedov.

Lee fought once under the Eagle FC banner, defeating fellow former UFC fighter Diego Sanchez by unanimous decision at Eagle FC 46 this past March. With the promotion not holding a US-based event since May, Lee was cleared to pursue other opportunities. Though he expressed interest in signing on for the upcoming season of Professional Fighters League (PFL) and being an opponent for Jake Paul, Lee came to terms with the UFC for a second stint.

One-time interim lightweight title challenger Kevin Lee re-signs with UFC

jason73

Yuri Bezmenov was right
First 100
Jan 15, 2015
looks like that victory over the ghost of diego sanchez did him some good

jimmy boogaloo

General Links/Your Account
Nov 15, 2017
looks like that victory over the ghost of diego sanchez did him some good
its true somehow.

Kevin Lee is one lucky motherfucker and should thank his blessings to be received back. he was singing Eagle's praises, but worst of all he said how good it was to be free. crivens!

jason73

Yuri Bezmenov was right
First 100
Jan 15, 2015
kevin lee fired his management , converted to islam and went with ali . that is how he got his ass back in the ufc . a win over the hollowed out husk of post fabia 41 yr old diego does nothing for anybody

Gfarita

Lurker
Feb 17, 2023
Kevin Lee, also known as the 'Motown Phenom', has signed an exclusive deal with the UFC after being released more than a year ago. Lee hinted at a reunion with the promotion earlier this week when he posted photos with UFC President Dana White and Chief Business Officer Hunter Campbell. The date for his return has not been reported, but Lee expects it to happen in the Spring, and he has settled on welterweight as his weight class. In his previous stint with the UFC, Lee went 11-7 in 18 fights, including a loss to Tony Ferguson in a bid for the interim UFC lightweight championship. After losing to Charles Oliveira and Daniel Rodriguez, Lee was released by the UFC and fought once under the Eagle FC banner before being cleared to pursue other opportunities.