Khabib Never Thought Ferguson Was Elite

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to Sign Up today.

BeardOfKnowledge

The Most Consistent Motherfucker You Know
Jul 22, 2015
Khabib: "You can not be elite at 37"

Also Khabib: "The only fight I want is against 39 year old GSP (who won a title at 36)."

M

member 3289

Ferguson was so incredibly overrated for such a long time (until he got exposed against Gaethje and Oliveira).

Good fighter. Just never great.

M

member 3289

Khabib is right in that Ferg has never been elite. But the reasoning is wrong.

It has nothing to do with Tony's age. It has everything to do with his mediocre TDD, a complete inability to get up from guard, and a tendency to block punches with his face.

Sheepdog

Protecting America from excessive stool loitering
Dec 1, 2015
Khabib is right in that Ferg has never been elite. But the reasoning is wrong.

It has nothing to do with Tony's age. It has everything to do with his mediocre TDD, a complete inability to get up from guard, and a tendency to block punches with his face.
Eh, Khabib also said he always thought Tony was never elite and pointed to his wins since 2016(beginning when Tony was 33) being meaningless.

I took it as 'Tony has always sucked and is shot on top of it now' rather than Khabib saying Tony only sucked because he was shot.

TheFifthScallop

Who am I kidding? I’m a whore.
Amateur Fighter
Nov 15, 2015
Ferguson has more impressive wins. Just saying.

Edit: After further review, I retract my statement.

Last edited:

Greenbean

Posting Machine
Nov 14, 2015
I'd put him in the same category as nate diaz. Durable, can take an ass whooping, and might even break a fighters will because of it, but nowhere near elite. Ridiculous looking style too.

kneeblock

Drapetomaniac
Apr 18, 2015
Tony is the kind of fighter who probably would've been awesome if he'd started at 23 or 24. His only downfall is that he fell in love with gimmicky striking and gimmicky grappling. That stuff will get you to a title fight, but you probably won't win it against truly great competition with sound fundamentals. Weird striking plus 10th Planet BJJ and only fair to middling wrestling just doesn't cut it in your 30s.