'King Mo' Lawal calls for Bellator fight with Fedor Emelianenko

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to Sign Up today.

Wild

Zi Nazi
Admin
Dec 31, 2014

After an impressive performance in the Rizin FF heavyweight tournament, Muhammed Lawal wants a shot at one of the sport’s all-time greats.

Lawal (19-4), who picked up three victories in two days to win the New Year’s Eve tournament in Japan, has now won seven straight fights since a controversial loss to Quinton “Rampage” Jacksonin 2014.

So what’s next for the former Bellator tournament winner and ex-Strikeforce champion? According to “King Mo,” he wants a shot at Fedor Emelianenko (35-4) – and he wants it in a Bellator cage (via Twitter):

View: https://twitter.com/KingMoFH/status/684218901983408128?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw

View: https://twitter.com/KingMoFH/status/684333049304211456?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw

LINK: 'King Mo' Lawal calls for Bellator fight with Fedor Emelianenko

teamquestnorth

Lindland never cheated
Jan 27, 2015
Didn't Mo just say a couple of days ago that he wasn't going to call out Fedor because he was a legend?

This fight never happens and it definitely won't be in a Bellator cage. I'll put $100 on that.

TheEmperorRises

Right click hospital, left click cemetery
Dec 4, 2015
Yes please. Especially if it's in Dallas- I'm close enough that I'd get to see it live. Watching Fedor fight live is something I never imagined I'd get to experience, so this would be fantastic if it pans out. I'm not holding my breathe though.

TheEmperorRises

Right click hospital, left click cemetery
Dec 4, 2015
Didn't Mo just say a couple of days ago that he wasn't going to call out Fedor because he was a legend?

This fight never happens and it definitely won't be in a Bellator cage. I'll put $100 on that.
This is less a call out and more asking nicely for a fight he wants. None of what he said was disrespectful to Fedor

stielar

Posting Machine
Dec 30, 2015

Why does that fight never happen? Bellator should be in a position to actually demand it happens. Maybe not for Fedor's second fight which will obviously take place in Japan. But, if they are to send Rizin their biggest draws on a regular basis, Rizin should do the same.

teamquestnorth

Lindland never cheated
Jan 27, 2015
Why does that fight never happen? Bellator should be in a position to actually demand it happens. Maybe not for Fedor's second fight which will obviously take place in Japan. But, if they are to send Rizin their biggest draws on a regular basis, Rizin should do the same.
Coker saw the effects first hand of what Having Fedor on a roster can do to an upstart promotion. He's a great fighter but no draw at all in NA and commands a huge purse.

stielar

Posting Machine
Dec 30, 2015
Coker saw the effects first hand of what Having Fedor on a roster can do to an upstart promotion. He's a great fighter but no draw at all in NA and commands a huge purse.
I disagree with almost everything you said. First of all, Bellator is not an upstart promotion. Unlike Strikefore it's been around for a long time and it's backed by Viacom. The "no draw at all" I disagree with as well. I don't have official numbers but the stadiums during his affliction and strikefore fights seemed packed.

His fight with singh might have done poorly in terms of tv ratings in the us but you have to consider
a) first and most importantly his irrelevant opponent
b) the minimal promotion this fight received in the us
c) how no one in the US had ever heard of rizin before
d) it was on a Sunday morning on new year's eve... seriously how many people look for mma fights on tv on a Sunday morning in new years eve in the US?

A fight between Emelianenko vs King Mo in the US for Bellator, the is promoted well by media and with a couple more interesting fights on the card would be a huge draw.

And last point: yes Fedor's Strikeforce run might have brought down the promotion, but you have to consider also the result of his fights. What if Emelianenko was more motivated and went on a 3-0 run in Strikeforce? Would it still have gone down after that?

teamquestnorth

Lindland never cheated
Jan 27, 2015
Fedor has never pulled more than 100k ppv buys and that was with one of the most stacked cards in MMA history. That in itself wouldn't be too big of a deal if he was making 100k a fight but he demands millions. Money that these promotions can't afford to pay in the long term for a minimal return.

Sure, Viacom could afford it but who wants to throw money away with no return?

Priziesthorse

TMMAC Addict
First 100
Jan 15, 2015
King Mo is the man. The term "world class" gets thrown around a lot but this man is a world class wrestler with serious athletic ability. It would be in Fedors best interests to take the fight in the Bellator cage. King Mo with wrestling shoes on is the GOAT. He won his first 4 fights in Sengoku, M-1 fight against Kerr, and 3 Rizin fights with wrestling shoes. teamquestnorth @ConorStoleMyHippoHopes if this fight gets made in Japan, bet your life savings on the King. Lindland cornered him in his first mma fight. Real recognize real.