'King Mo' Lawal doesn't see Bellator 142 tourney as big deal: 'It's just two fights'

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to Sign Up today.

Wild

Zi Nazi
Admin
Dec 31, 2014

Muhammed Lawal said he doesn’t view Bellator 142’s one-night light heavyweight tournament as the daunting task others have built it up to be.

The four-man tournament will see Lawal (15-4 MMA, 7-3 BMMA), Linton Vassell (15-4 MMA, 4-1 BMMA), Emmanuel Newton (25-8-1 MMA, 8-2 BMMA) and Phil Davis (13-3 MMA, 0-0 BMMA) compete for the right to be called No. 1 contender in the 205-pound weight class.

The winner will have to emerge victorious in two contests on a single night to make that happen.

Multiple fights on one night were common practice in the early years of the sport. But since sanctioning has become stricter and fighter safety a more prominent concern, the tournament format has fizzled out of top-tier organizations.

The Sept. 19 “Dynamite” event will change that, however. Bellator 142 takes place at SAP Center in San Jose, Calif., and airs on Spike TV following prelims on MMAjunkie.

Although Lawal hasn’t been forced to endure multiple contests in a night since he started his MMA career in 2008, he’s well conditioned to such circumstances after years of amateur wrestling where he competed as many as five times at an event.

Lawal said that because of that experience the prospect of two fights is hardly intimidating.

“People make a big deal about it, but it’s just two fights; that’s all it is, two fights in one night ain’t nothing to worry about,” Lawal told MMAjunkie. “In wrestling I did five matches in one day, so it’s whatever. I’m preparing for whatever happens and I’m going to go out there and dominate.”

LINK: ‘King Mo’ Lawal doesn’t see Bellator 142 tourney as big deal: ‘It’s just two fights’ | MMAjunkie

Emmery Myers

I put the warrior in social justice warrior
Aug 7, 2015
I applaud them for trying to do something different with a talented but uninteresting lhw division. But i still think Newton beats Davis and then Mo in typical Newton fashion.

lookoutawhale

Mammal of the Sea
Jan 20, 2015
I will say i am a big fan of Mo. I love his pride like umbrella girl entrances and his intelligent interviews regarding the fight game.

I felt like he came in too overconfident in some of his past fights like he felt he could win easily from just raw talent. I hope hes learned from his mistakes and comes in grounded so he can do well.

Emmery Myers

I put the warrior in social justice warrior
Aug 7, 2015
The demarcation line in Mos career is his knee injury and staph infection that almost ended his career. He's never been the same

SuperPig

Enjoy yourselves
Aug 7, 2015
If mo wins it's because he laid on his opponents and avoided fighting
Exactly. If he wins it's because it's easy for him to snuggie his way through two fights. If he stands with anyone other than Phil Davis there's a good chance that they'll knock him out.

I never got the praise for the guy. Great college wrestler who came in super cocky and mostly beat up nobodies or vets in Japan and then gets popped for roids.

Maybe I'm just bitter that he was able to blanket his way to a W against Mousasi while having his face battered from the bottom.

Wild

Zi Nazi
Admin
Dec 31, 2014
I applaud them for trying to do something different with a talented but uninteresting lhw division. But i still think Newton beats Davis and then Mo in typical Newton fashion.
I think Newton somehow wins this as well. It wont be pretty, but he seems to get it done.

Clappin'Daddys

Posting Machine
Sep 9, 2015
Very interested in this card. It just sucks that The ac hampered the lhw tounry.... it would have been great if they gave at least two 3 rounders... shit, in boxing, they fight for 36 minutes... two 3 roundFights are 30 minutes.. couldnt bellator have pled its case?

All in all, im much more excited for the title fight.. im rooting for liam to take tito out. Im also happyy to see thomson fighting again.. hope he can make a run in bellatorr.

jason73

Yuri Bezmenov was right
First 100
Jan 15, 2015
king mo tries to shoulder roll but doesnt try to actually box.floyd and james toney can shoulder roll like a motherfucker because the rest of their boxing game is tight.they make it look easy

SuperPig

Enjoy yourselves
Aug 7, 2015
I really like Phil but he's just not an exciting fighter. I'd love to see him get the title though.

OhWhopDaChamp

TMMAC Addict
Apr 20, 2015
Phil's body is rock hard tho he's not that tall when you're wearing cha cha heels. Kept my hands to myself.