Knight went from ‘fighting for fun’ to ‘I had to fight to get the money’

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to Sign Up today.

Wild

Zi Nazi
Admin
Dec 31, 2014

In a recent interview with MMAfighting.com, Jason Knight opened up about his recent UFC release and how success led him to debt and took the fun out of fighting.

“I got caught up in the lifestyle,” Knight said. “I won four fights in a row in the UFC, I made several hundred thousand dollars. I went from making a hundred thousand dollars a fight and being able to live that lifestyle of having a hundred thousand dollars in my account to after the Ricardo Lamas fight I only had a $30,000 paycheck. I still tried to live the hundred thousand dollar lifestyle for a while like I had that money there.

“Next thing you know I started getting myself in debt and it went from I was fighting for fun to I had to fight to get the money. I had to get this money to get my life back straight, to get back on top. What I’m doing right now I’m pretty much completely out of debt and I’m getting my life to where I don’t have to worry about fighting to provide for my family and stuff. I’m providing for my family outside of that so I can get back to fighting for the love of the fight.”

Knight on UFC release: I went from ‘fighting for fun’ to ‘I had to fight to get the money’

Wild

Zi Nazi
Admin
Dec 31, 2014
Interesting because in the Q&A he did for us, after he had just signed with the UFC, I believe he said he was going to pay off his house with his first bonus check & he liked driving beat up trucks that he could work on. A pretty simple lifestyle. Sucks he got caught up in debt. Sounds like he’s getting his shit back together now though. Hope he gets back to kicking ass.

Rambo John J

Eats things that would make a Billy Goat Puke
First 100
Jan 17, 2015
Interesting because in the Q&A he did for us, after he had just signed with the UFC, I believe he said he was going to pay off his house with his first bonus check & he liked driving beat up trucks that he could work on. A pretty simple lifestyle. Sucks he got caught up in debt. Sounds like he’s getting his shit back together now though. Hope he gets back to kicking ass.
living above your means after getting a chunk of $$$$ is very very common
I did so myself, now I roll minimal expenses and be happy in the moment
you are not your possessions or your image...happiness is on the inside

one of the essential life lessons IMO

Robbie Hart

All Biden Voters Are Mindless Sheep
Feb 13, 2015
I think he’s a down to earth guy and always rooted for him to win