Sports Kobe just died!

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to Sign Up today.

Papi Chingon

Domesticated Hombre
Oct 19, 2015
I read that this was the copter that crashed and it was his. I could surely be wrong.
He didnt own a helicopter. Im guessing if he did want to buy one, he'd probably opt for a newer model, not a 1991, and have no problem paying more than $500k (shit, his main house is $20m+, his "I'm sorry for cheating" ring to his wife was $4m, and I'm guessing he has cars worth more than $500k).

"Bryant's use of private helicopters became well known over the years, as he used them to beat Los Angeles traffic and even help teammates get to doctor appointments.

Bryant's helicopter, a Sikorsky S-76B built in 1991, was previously owned by the state of Illinois, according to records from the Federal Aviation Administration and the helicopter database Helis. The state flew the helicopter from 2007 to 2015, when it was put up for sale. It was not immediately clear who owned the helicopter before 2007.

In 2015, the helicopter was purchased from the state by a person named Jim Bagge, an executive at a company called Island Express Holding Corp., for $515,161, the Daily Beast reported.

Island Express has remained the owner and operator of the helicopter since 2015. It was not immediately clear whether Bryant leased the helicopter full time or chartered it as needed. It was also not clear whether Island Express provided a pilot or whether Bryant hired one separately."

Rambo John J

Eats things that would make a Billy Goat Puke
First 100
Jan 17, 2015
He didnt own a helicopter. Im guessing if he did want to buy one, he'd probably opt for a newer model, not a 1991, and have no problem paying more than $500k (shit, his main house is $20m+, his "I'm sorry for cheating" ring to his wife was $4m, and I'm guessing he has cars worth more than $500k).

"Bryant's use of private helicopters became well known over the years, as he used them to beat Los Angeles traffic and even help teammates get to doctor appointments.

Bryant's helicopter, a Sikorsky S-76B built in 1991, was previously owned by the state of Illinois, according to records from the Federal Aviation Administration and the helicopter database Helis. The state flew the helicopter from 2007 to 2015, when it was put up for sale. It was not immediately clear who owned the helicopter before 2007.

In 2015, the helicopter was purchased from the state by a person named Jim Bagge, an executive at a company called Island Express Holding Corp., for $515,161, the Daily Beast reported.

Island Express has remained the owner and operator of the helicopter since 2015. It was not immediately clear whether Bryant leased the helicopter full time or chartered it as needed. It was also not clear whether Island Express provided a pilot or whether Bryant hired one separately."
damn that is a bit of a cautionary tale
newer and with less mileage is probably preferable I would think...could be wrong

Papi Chingon

Domesticated Hombre
Oct 19, 2015
damn that is a bit of a cautionary tale
newer and with less mileage is probably preferable I would think...could be wrong
Everything at this point is pointing towards pilot error, not mechanical failure. I was just pointing out that with the vast wealth he had, should he come to a point where he wanted to own a helicopter, he'd make a different choice. Aircraft ownership is extremely expensive, so just about everyone choosing to lease, joint lease, or charter over actually owning outright. Even mayweather when he "owned" 2 g550's was actually doing joint leases (think timeshare). His new g6 is likely the same.

Rambo John J

Eats things that would make a Billy Goat Puke
First 100
Jan 17, 2015
Everything at this point is pointing towards pilot error, not mechanical failure. I was just pointing out that with the vast wealth he had, should he come to a point where he wanted to own a helicopter, he'd make a different choice. Aircraft ownership is extremely expensive, so just about everyone choosing to lease, joint lease, or charter over actually owning outright. Even mayweather when he "owned" 2 g550's was actually doing joint leases (think timeshare). His new g6 is likely the same.
Ya
I work for a guy that has a smaller? Jet...heard it fire up but not sure what it compares to
Have no idea what that runs em

1991 Heli seems like an old one to me, but maybe that doesn't matter as you say...bummer

B.D.

Nov 8, 2018
Okay, look, I get it... He was a big star, and commiefornia is a state full of star-fuckers with misplaced feelings of hero worship for someone they've never fucking met. But for love of Crom... An entire hour-long newscast with nothing but Bryant? He ain't gettin' any deader, folks. Just gimme my weather, at least, ya twats.

I was worried when he died it'd be wall-to-wall kobe Bryant, but I don't need an in-depth interview with his distraught 4th grade teacher. I need to know if the cheenee outbreak monkeys are coming in to Ontario international when I'm due to go to DMV in Rancho Cucamonga for my non-immigrant fucking driver's license.

Christ.

BeardOfKnowledge

The Most Consistent Motherfucker You Know
Jul 22, 2015
Most smart rich people don't even own those cars. They do long term rentals. Exotic cars are absolute money pits.

Malakas

Jan 25, 2020
VFR conditions due to the fog -

Damn....Held up for 15 minutes ..did he run out of fuel or did he lose awareness of where he was in the fog?
If you watch the flight path it shows it climbing and then it seems like it fell quickly. I know nothing about this stuff though , just what I have seen regarding Kobe's flight.

Enock-O-Lypse Now!

Underneath Denver International Airport
Jun 19, 2016
If you watch the flight path it shows it climbing and then it seems like it fell quickly. I know nothing about this stuff though , just what I have seen regarding Kobe's flight.
I was thinking they ran out of fuel since they were held up for at least 15 minutes ...plus there were witnesses who couldn’t see the chopper but heard sputtering prior to the crash .....

But then listening to the control tower And before they went down Dispatch was having a hard time getting reception from the pilot due to radio issues or to low of Altitude ....pilot could have got discombobulated in the dense fog and ran into the hill.

Papi Chingon

Domesticated Hombre
Oct 19, 2015
I was thinking they ran out of fuel since they were held up for at least 15 minutes ...plus there were witnesses who couldn’t see the chopper but heard sputtering prior to the crash .....

But then listening to the control tower And before they went down Dispatch was having a hard time getting reception from the pilot due to radio issues or to low of Altitude ....pilot could have got discombobulated in the dense fog and ran into the hill.
If you look up the helicopter specs it has a range of almost 500 miles with a cruising speed of 155mph. The helicopter still needed to fly him back. Distance from santa ana to sherman oaks is 50 miles. Yeah they did a few laps waiting for the fog to hopefully burn off, but they were way short on total distance traveled. No way it ran out of fuel. Unfortunately with no black boxes the definitive cause won't be known for months.

Filthy

Iowa Wrestling Champion
Jun 28, 2016

helicopters rely on the density of the air to generate lift. In the canyons in SoCal, you get really weird layer inversions that change the amount of lift you get. So he could have been dropping at given rate and mistakenly thought he'd have enough distance to generate the lift needed to get over the hill, or turn out.

At 160 MPH and 1500 ft, you're at a height of less than 1 Fuck Up.
Good pilots always fly 3 Fuck Ups high.

Papi Chingon

Domesticated Hombre
Oct 19, 2015
helicopters rely on the density of the air to generate lift. In the canyons in SoCal, you get really weird layer inversions that change the amount of lift you get. So he could have been dropping at given rate and mistakenly thought he'd have enough distance to generate the lift needed to get over the hill, or turn out.

At 160 MPH and 1500 ft, you're at a height of less than 1 Fuck Up.
Good pilots always fly 3 Fuck Ups high.
I doubt in fog that dense the pilot would have been at cruising speed. Having said that, it's a helicopter, and when those things crash, they fucking crash. The pilot allegedly had over 1,200 hours experience flying that model alone, and was certified for all the technology it had to offer, including the technology that allows the aircraft to fly blind. Last time the flight tower attempted to communicate with him was to tell him he was flying too low for one of those technologies to work (the one that alerts him to distance between other aircrafts in the air). It is speculated that he never received transmission of that call. I doubt the radio tower had any other readings on his other equipment specific to that particular aircraft. I am just parroting what I heard on the radio today, so I can't say whether any of this is accurate.

Certainly when flying blind it's best to be 3 Fuck Ups high as you pointed out, but helicopters aren't like planes, so a cruising altitude/ceiling is fairly low to begin with due to air density. Take into account air/helicopter/plane traffic surrounding LA (both commercial and personal), aND I'd bet special permissions would need to be granted if a change like that was needed since it would not be in the itinerary submitted to the flight tower. Having said all that, if it was indeed flying too low to begin with and just flew into the side of a hill, everything I am mentioning would be moot.