Larkin talks DJ, 'complete 180' difference between UFC and Bellator

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to Sign Up today.

Wild

Zi Nazi
Admin
Dec 31, 2014

Larkin, a top-tier welterweight, signed with Bellator after a frustrating free agency period in which he was left twisting for months by his old employer. But Larkin says a change of scenery has made all the difference.

“It’s a complete 180,” Larkin told MMA Fighting on Thursday. “I have a one-on-one with [Bellator CEO] Scott [Coker], he calls me if he needs anything or vice versa. Its just a complete 180. I’m pretty sure in this fight, I got marketed more than in my whole career. And it’s disheartening to say that, but it’s true. I’ve never seen so much of me out there.”

Larkin, for his part, said he never experienced a situation in the UFC like the one Johnson described, in which UFC president Dana White allegedly threatened to drop the flyweight division entirely. But he says Johnson’s words pass the truth test.

“I’m pretty sure other fighters got that (treated like Johnson),” Larkin said. “With me, I never had a one-on-one with UFC as far as talking to them and things like about my career or contract or anything like that. He wouldn’t lie. It would be a dumb decision to make some stuff up like that so I’m pretty sure there’s truth to that story.”

Larkin earned himself a nice raise and more prominent promotion because he went out and won four of his last five fights heading into his free agency period, upping his worth out on the market. He can empathize with Johnson, who’s not a free agent, and feels the champ did what he needed in order to have his case heard.

“I’ve been asked, should more fighters test free agency?” Larkin said. “As long as you know what your worth is. At the end of the day, it is a business and if you know what you’re worth and you know you’re valuable to somebody, then you can test free agency because as long as you know and it’s out there, then somebody can pick you up.

“It’s the same thing with Demetrious,” Larkin continued. “He knows he’s valuable, you know what I mean? It sucks, because he’s my favorite fighter. In MMA right now, he is my favorite fighter. To me he is the most, pound-for-pound, best fighter out there. And he doesn’t get paid like it. It didn’t surprise me when he didn’t get pay-per-view points. It’s ridiculous.”

Larkin talks DJ, 'complete 180' difference between UFC and Bellator

GSPTrainingInAPool

Man on the silver mountain
Dec 1, 2015
Talks about knowing what you're worth... that is a really touchy subject for DJ. He could considered the best P4P fighter but since he fights in such an unexciting division does it really matter? To the UFC it seems he is less valuable than a top 10 middle weight. What valuation could be possibly get from Bellator?

TheEmperorRises

Right click hospital, left click cemetery
Dec 4, 2015
Talks about knowing what you're worth... that is a really touchy subject for DJ. He could considered the best P4P fighter but since he fights in such an unexciting division does it really matter? To the UFC it seems he is less valuable than a top 10 middle weight. What valuation could be possibly get from Bellator?
The UFC will never let him out of his contract to see. An undefeated fighter with a boring style is the top draw in boxing. If DJ wasn't so nice, he could be in MMA as well. Bellator would market the hell out of him.

GSPTrainingInAPool

Dec 1, 2015
The UFC will never let him out of his contract to see. An undefeated fighter with a boring style is the top draw in boxing. If DJ wasn't so nice, he could be in MMA as well. Bellator would market the hell out of him.
Boxing =/= MMA. Very different fans. I haven't watch more than 5 rounds of boxing total, I'm gonna go out on a limb and say that's a pretty big chunk of MMA fans as well

TheEmperorRises

Right click hospital, left click cemetery
Dec 4, 2015
Boxing =/= MMA. Very different fans. I haven't watch more than 5 rounds of boxing total, I'm gonna go out on a limb and say that's a pretty big chunk of MMA fans as well
Maybe, but you can't deny DJ's record. He's just not been marketed right, at all.

I'd have sat down with him early on and explain that his nickname is holding him back. No one imagines the greatest fighter in mixed martial arts today and pictures this-

His f'n initials are DJ. He should have pulled a Rory McDonald and switched that up. Go by "DJ Lethal" or something. He could just grab a microphone and say "Look at my record. NO ONE can beat me".

Scott Coker would build a division for him. Dana White was asked months and months ago who the next GSP was, or who the next Anderson Silva. Prime oppurtunity to hype DJ. He name drops PVZ and Sage Northcutt instead. Derp.

Last edited:

GSPTrainingInAPool

Dec 1, 2015
Maybe, but you can't deny DJ's record. He's just not been marketed right, at all.

I'd have sat down with him early on and explain that his nickname is holding him back. No one imagines the greatest fighter in mixed martial arts today and pictures this-

His f'n initials are DJ. He should have pulled a Rory McDonald and switched that up. Go by "DJ Lethal" or something. He could just grab a microphone and say "Look at my record. NO ONE can beat me".

Scott Coker would build a division for him. Dana White was asked months and months ago who the next GSP was, or who the next Anderson Silva. Prime oppurtunity to hype DJ. He name drops PVZ and Sage Northcutt instead. Derp.
I agree that he hasn't been promoted correctly. But I also don't think a fighter that small could be a huge superstar like Chuck, Andy, Brock et al.

Could SERIOUSLY just be his nick name though

ShakaSway

The Unintentional Voice of Reason
Oct 18, 2015
Its a very interesting topic, forgive my inevitable rambling here, but DJ can be argued for in the p4p topic. However, his personality is not as big as his talent. And in all of sports thats a very big deal, unfortunate as it may be.

Especially now, where your mouth is where your money is. MMA, in the UFC at the very least, wants its fighters to promote themselves, rather than the other way around. When you look at Pride, they provided the theatrics and the whistles,fighters did their part through talent. Fedor, Nogs, Shogun, sure the list is longer.

UFC on the other hand loved a Brock, a Chuck, Conor, Ronda, all of that. They had their gems like GSP, Machida and Anderson when he wasn't calling people playboy. It brought class to the sport. But as time went, and to the UFC's allowance, it has devolved into this entertainment pro wrestling esque promo show. Not saying Conor or anyone is untalented, rather they get focus for reciting promos. Their impatience in promoting respectful quiet people comes from wanting "a" draw. Thats why we get Sage and PVZ's presented as second comings. Why hasn't our Strawweight champion gotten pushed? Exactly.

DJ falls under that boat as well. Just aint talking a big game, showing us the big game. But they dont give two shits about that, they give two shits about the hype that brings money. They want the cause, not the effect. Its a shame, however maybe not for long with Bellator classing this shit up somehow. Go figure the company that actually cross promoted with TNA is getting the dignity going again.

TLDR is understandable gents