Lawler vs Askren - What's the feeling around here?

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to Sign Up today.

sgotwalks

First 100
First 100
Jan 16, 2015
I'm really intrigued by this fight for all of the obvious reasons. My feeling is that Robbie is going to land some bricks and put an end to the hype before if really takes off. I like both of these dudes a lot, and it's too bad Ben's not fighting someone I disliked more so I could really pull for him, but in this instance I'm gonna have to hollar Lawler's name at my screen on the 3rd of March (I think that's the date).

What's the consensus around Here?

sgotwalks

First 100
First 100
Jan 16, 2015
What did the yam say to the potato and the egg?

You two will make great salads some day!

Enock-O-Lypse Now!

Underneath Denver International Airport
Jun 19, 2016
Robbie always had that wrestling background - will be weird to see Ben take Robbie to wrestlefuck USA but it’s a real possibility in this fight.

I’m pretty much indifferent in this fight - Robbie’s an old school guy who’s put in work - a real warrior so I’d love to see him win but Ben has also put in work and Dana / UFC blackballed him for so long that I’d actually like to see him have success in the UFC.

No pick for me ...but will be an interesting fun fight.

P.S: I’m all aboard Bens Conspiracy that Dana helped set this fight up thinking Robbie had the best chance taking out Ben before he gains any momentum.

Disciplined Galt

Disciplina et Frugalis
First 100
Jan 15, 2015
Robbie always had that wrestling background - will be weird to see Ben take Robbie to wrestlefuck USA but it’s a real possibility in this fight.

I’m pretty much indifferent in this fight - Robbie’s an old school guy who’s put in work - a real warrior so I’d love to see him win but Ben has also put in work and Dana / UFC blackballed him for so long that I’d actually like to see him have success in the UFC.

No pick for me ...but will be an interesting fun fight.

P.S: I’m all aboard Bens Conspiracy that Dana helped set this fight up thinking Robbie had the best chance taking out Ben before he gains any momentum.
I second this.

JerryCranberry

Jan 22, 2019
I feel like I should pick Robbie but Askren has me convinced he's going to win this. If he wins it will be very impressive. If not...well god damn he's talked a lot of shit over the years.

Rambo John J

Eats things that would make a Billy Goat Puke
First 100
Jan 17, 2015
my gut says robbie
but Ben smothered every body so far
fight starts on the feet

Filthy

Iowa Wrestling Champion
Jun 28, 2016
my gut says robbie
but Ben smothered every body so far
fight starts on the feet
Robbie is fighting for is ranking.
Ben is fighting for his legacy. I'll take Ben.

but it's a hell of a fight to take, coming from a long lay-off.

SongExotic2

ATM 3 CHAMPION OF THE WORLD. #FREECAIN
First 100
Jan 16, 2015
Honestly. I think the UFC is pulling some shady Jake shields shit here. They hope Robbie knocks been clean out then they will bury him on prelims and send him away as a discredited other org champ.

If he wins they will give him an instant shot, sell it as the greatest fight of all time.

Been needs a fukn win here

Filthy

Iowa Wrestling Champion
Jun 28, 2016
I love watching Robbie fight, but I don't need to see him get hit in the head any more.
I hope he turns off Ben's lights, or Ben drags him him down and drowns him.

ShatsBassoon

Throwing bombs & banging moms
First 100
Jan 14, 2015
I think after all the gritty fights Lawlers been in he just doesnt have much fight left.
Askren by one sided mauling.

maurice

Posting Machine
Oct 21, 2015
I'm a big fan of both guys, so I'll be sad either way. Robbie has good wrestling, but a lot of that is standups after he's been taken down by guys who are not as good as Ben. OTOH, every round starts standing, and Robbie can completely change the complexion of the fight with one strike.

Sex Chicken

Exotic Dancer
Sep 8, 2015
I think it’s the perfect test to see where Askren fits into the UFC talent pool. There is not a more consistent performer than Lawler. I almost feel like out of anyone he is the best guy to do mma math with. He has fought everybody, and always performs, without deviating too much from his game plan.

That said I think Lawler puts him to sleep. Lawler is an Iowa guy, his wrestling pedigree is a lot higher than people give him credit for. Askren is a level higher but Lawler has the TDD to make Askren pay when he inevitably tries to close the distance for a takedown.

I think Askren gets lit up on the feet and ends up having to go for a desperation takedown. I’m calling Lawler 2nd rd KO by Travis Browne elbows.

Rambo John J

Eats things that would make a Billy Goat Puke
First 100
Jan 17, 2015
I think it’s the perfect test to see where Askren fits into the UFC talent pool. There is not a more consistent performer than Lawler. I almost feel like out of anyone he is the best guy to do mma math with.

That said I think Lawler puts him to sleep. Lawler is an Iowa guy, his wrestling pedigree is a lot higher than people give him credit for. Askren is a level higher but Lawler has the TDD to make Askren pay when he inevitably tries to close the distance for a takedown.

I’m calling Lawler 2nd rd KO by Travis Browne elbows.

that is a good prediction
they will surely spend time in that position

aghof

an person
Apr 15, 2015
I almost always want Robbie to win (think maybe I slightly favored Nick when they fought 8 trillion years ago), but after all this time and buildup and the entertainment and intrigue he's brought to the division (and respect for the indefatigable advocacy of CRE @CRE), I really want Ben to make a great showing.

As far as prediction I'm leaning maybe 70/30 in favor of Robbie shrugging off a TD and landing a bomb followed by a few more for the stoppage, like he did to Koscheck or else getting the decision via Askren looking like Johny Hendricks with his head buried struggling for the TD, over a Shields-like smothering and possible sub.

D241

Banned
Jan 14, 2015
I think it’s the perfect test to see where Askren fits into the UFC talent pool. There is not a more consistent performer than Lawler. I almost feel like out of anyone he is the best guy to do mma math with. He has fought everybody, and always performs, without deviating too much from his game plan.

I think Askren gets lit up on the feet and ends up having to go for a desperation takedown. I’m calling Lawler 2nd rd KO by Travis Browne elbows.

Ben Askren already beat Robbie Lawler

These two actually faced off in high school wrestling.

Now am I going to compare what happened in high school wrestling versus everything that's happened since? Not really, but kind of.

What I mean is from the very beginning, Askren was the better combat athlete of these two. This took place in the wrestling realm, and Askren won. Since then, Askren has ONLY improved his wrestling by leaps and bounds making it to the 2008 olympic team. 2008 olympic team > Iowa state wrestling.

Where Robbie was training striking, Askren has only improved his wrestling which was already better. If Robbie had put in 75% of the time training on tdd as Askren has put in time using his wrestling to win fights, I might look at this fight differently but I can't b/c I know that's not the case.

I prefer the winner wins by finish more than anything, regardless who gets the finish, but if I'm a betting man, my money is on Askren.

SongExotic2

ATM 3 CHAMPION OF THE WORLD. #FREECAIN
First 100
Jan 16, 2015
Honestly. I think the UFC is pulling some shady Jake shields shit here. They hope Robbie knocks been clean out then they will bury him on prelims and send him away as a discredited other org champ.

If he wins they will give him an instant shot, sell it as the greatest fight of all time.

Been needs a fukn win here
Well, dipshit, looks like you forgot that Ben and made of wood are training buddies and won't fight, idiot

jason73

Yuri Bezmenov was right
First 100
Jan 15, 2015
i hope robbie smashes ben asschin before he can take him down and dry hump him without causing any damage for the rest of the fight

GO BIG RED!!!

last 100
Oct 17, 2015
i dont know who will win but im absolutely stoked for this fight. ben is gonna get chin checked for sure and thats something ive been wanting to see.