General learn how to play guitar with me!

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to Sign Up today.

Passive Jay

Not Worthy
Oct 21, 2015
I recently picked up a guitar and decided to learn to play. Since I am an admitted attention whore I figured I would start a youtube series to keep track of my progress. It is called Rocking for cheap and it shows how you can learn to play guitar for not much money.

Rambo John J

Eats things that would make a Billy Goat Puke
First 100
Jan 17, 2015
I recently picked up a guitar and decided to learn to play. Since I am an admitted attention whore I figured I would start a youtube series to keep track of my progress. It is called Rocking for cheap and it shows how you can learn to play guitar for not much money.

ur one of my favorite attention whores

Grateful Dude

TMMAC Addict
May 30, 2016
is it better to learn acoustic first?

Grateful Dude @GratefulGiarc
Personally, I prefer acoustic and that is all I've ever owned (although I have been eyeing an electric lately). It comes down to personal preference, and one should choose based on what they're wanting to play. Just wanting to sit around and jam by the campfire with your buds, get an acoustic. If you want to play heavy metal with loads of distortion, get an electric and some pedals. Playing electric can get more complex as there are all kinds of amps/electronics/pedals that you can get into - there are literally thousands of gear combinations you can use to create your sound. So in that sense, an acoustic is simpler (and cheaper if you don't go too crazy). The string tension is a lot lighter on an electric, so they feel easier to play which might be enticing to someone just getting started.

Hard to say which is "better" first, but I think it just depends on what you want to do with it. I play mostly country/folk/bluegrass kind of stuff, with some finger-picking blues on the side - so an acoustic has always been right for me. Lately I've been wanting to get a Telecaster so I can get that chicken-picking country twang down. One of these days....

Hauler

Been fallin so long it's like gravitys gone
Feb 3, 2016
Knocking on Heavens Door (Dylan) chords:
G D Am
G D C
10x

Wagon Wheel (OCMS) chords:
G D Em C
G D C
10x

What I Got (Sublime) chords:
D G
50x

b00ts

pews&vrooms
Amateur Fighter
Oct 21, 2015
Bumping to see if anyone else is learning. I realize this is a PJ thread and I feel like he's posted 50 "learning guitar/bass" threads over the years.

I've been just messing about with learning a few songs, the Em penta, I-V-vi-IV progression in different keys, etc. Just the basics.

SongExotic2

ATM 3 CHAMPION OF THE WORLD. #FREECAIN
First 100
Jan 16, 2015
Bumping to see if anyone else is learning. I realize this is a PJ thread and I feel like he's posted 50 "learning guitar/bass" threads over the years.

I've been just messing about with learning a few songs, the Em penta, I-V-vi-IV progression in different keys, etc. Just the basics.
He probably sold that guitar, that someone gifted him, for weed.

BeardOfKnowledge

The Most Consistent Motherfucker You Know
Jul 22, 2015

Picked it up about a year ago. I think I'm horrible, Mrs Beard says she thinks I'm pretty good.

b00ts

pews&vrooms
Amateur Fighter
Oct 21, 2015
Picked it up about a year ago. I think I'm horrible, Mrs Beard says she thinks I'm pretty good.
You can literally take that I-V-vi-VI and practice out some strumming patterns in whatever key you want and anyone who doesn’t actually play will think you’re a rhythm god

BeardOfKnowledge

The Most Consistent Motherfucker You Know
Jul 22, 2015
You can literally take that I-V-vi-VI and practice out some strumming patterns in whatever key you want and anyone who doesn’t actually play will think you’re a rhythm god
I got a F ender Play subscription when they were running a Black Friday sale. Personally, I've found it to be worthwhile. At the beginning of Covid they gave out a fuck ton of free subscriptions to people.

Hauler

Been fallin so long it's like gravitys gone
Feb 3, 2016

I've been playing for 30 years and I haven't got a clue what you are going on about. Haha.