Learning D&D - have questions!

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to Sign Up today.

maurice

Posting Machine
Oct 21, 2015
You can still play a samurai and various interpretations of a ninja or a Shaolin monk.

You can even play a version of TMNT who live in the sewers under Waterdeep!

Jehannum

TMMAC's Most Handsome Artist
Jan 26, 2016
My kids are 12 and 8, and I recently bought the 5e starter set (pictured above) to give them an activity that isn't electronic or sports. So far, so good. Before this, I hadn't played since the 1980s. Millennials have jumped all over D&D in the past couple of years, and it's far nerdier now than it was then. When I was a kid, it was just another boy thing to do, like playing football and riding bikes. We'd often do all 3 in a single Sunday.

My general advice is to not worry too much about the rules. Use the pre-generated characters that came in the box. That will take them up to level 5. Just focus on telling an improvisational story based on the broad outline in the Lost Mines module. The goal of the game is to tell a fun and interactive story, not to "win" and certainly not to kill everything you see. What else do you want to know?
It was always nerdy you just didn't realise at the time how nerdy you and your friends were :D

Warhammer was a tabletop game, D&D was significantly deeper and was generally played away from other people (besides your group)

pretjah

Scintillating
Jan 27, 2020
i play (haven't in months) and am hoping to get a few online games going soon on roll

if you ever have any more questions let me know

Jehannum

Jan 26, 2016
wow this guy I was chatting to mentioned his D&D books and I asked if there were any good D&D games, now he's going all out to try and make me sign up and play Gemstone IV, an entirely text based game. He won't stop, this is getting beyond nerdy, he's linking me videos, guides, sign up pages, stories of his adventures and is still going :D

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cWsaAETt4dM&t=1s

I tried right at the start to tell him none of us would play a game like this but he's insistent it's the most immersive D&D experience available if only I'd give it a chance.

Jehannum

Jan 26, 2016
  • you add sounds and highlight words that are important to you as a player, it's a fully customizable playing expeiance, that makes it 100's of times better than a preprogrammed visual game, al I can say is, you have to turst me on the beauty GS4 can offer you
  • or your borther
  • he'll make friends and still be in his room, but his mind will roam all over Elanthia
  • so m ight you
this guy mang....