Leon Edwards may give Jorge Masvidal title shot over Kamaru Usman

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to Sign Up today.

Wild

Zi Nazi
Admin
Dec 31, 2014
MMA: AUG 20 UFC 278

Leon Edwards is willing to give Jorge Masvidal the next title shot over Kamaru Usman should ‘Gamebred’ defeat Gilbert Burns next year.

The two have unfinished business from a viral backstage altercation in 2019 in which Masvidal hit Edwards in the face following the former’s knockout of Darren Till at UFC London.

Both men are open to a grudge match but Edwards says Masvidal has to get a win before he gets another crack at the welterweight championship. ‘Rocky’ is willing to fight his longtime UFC rival should defeated champ Kamaru Usman turn down a trilogy bout early next year.

“I would give him it before Usman,” Edwards, who knocked out Usman to claim the welterweight title, said during a recent appearance on the Spinnin Backfist podcast. “Let’s say he fights Burns in December, or in January, and he gets a good win. I would fight him in April in the UK… I would love for him to beat Burns, and then that would be a big fight.”

Edwards is on a ten-fight win streak and is currently #5 in the UFC men’s pound-for-pound rankings. His last-minute head-kick knockout of Kamaru Usman is considered one of the greatest upsets in UFC history.

UK champ Leon Edwards may give Jorge Masvidal title shot over Kamaru Usman

jason73

Yuri Bezmenov was right
First 100
Jan 15, 2015
that is the way it should be done . defend the title then give a rematch . usman should have to win a fight first then challenge for the title. automatic rematches ruin divisions for a year or more . guys like cain fight the same 2 guys for 5 years . same with stipe . guys like deivison and moreno rematch endlessly and the rest of the division has no path to the title . it is better to fight once and then defend than to constantly trade rematches back and forth

jimmy boogaloo

General Links/Your Account
Nov 15, 2017
Smart move for Leon. Easy title defense, plus good back story.
you could write a whole article expanding on this. why ignore those factors and take the toughest possible fight? now that you're earning points. surely you want at least 2 massive paydays.

for fighters who want to be undisputed best and then become champion, once your earning potential has sunk in, achieving glory and earning life-changing money no-doubt go in tandem. no way you're leaving this without the big house etc.

jimmy boogaloo

Nov 15, 2017
that is the way it should be done . defend the title then give a rematch . usman should have to win a fight first then challenge for the title. automatic rematches ruin divisions for a year or more . guys like cain fight the same 2 guys for 5 years . same with stipe . guys like deivison and moreno rematch endlessly and the rest of the division has no path to the title . it is better to fight once and then defend than to constantly trade rematches back and forth
I agree to the most part but in a shallow division without monstrous forgotten contenders (think babalu in 2002) the fig/morono rematches seemed to make sense

jimmy boogaloo

Nov 15, 2017
fuck it, just chuck them in there without Jorge winning another fight. he'd be a better preserved version that way as well. Worth thinking about as his career damage builds up.

jason73

Yuri Bezmenov was right
First 100
Jan 15, 2015
fuck it, just chuck them in there without Jorge winning another fight. he'd be a better preserved version that way as well. Worth thinking about as his career damage builds up.
masvidal wont be beating either of them . he is no more than a journeyman who had a couple good years a couple years ago . he is 51 fights in to his career and hasnt won since 2019. he is 5/5 in his last 10 with wins over fellow journeyman nate diaz ,ben askren ( punched out by jake paul ), darren till (who has won 1 fight since) the ghost of donald cerrone and jake ellenburger( on his way out the door) . masvidal has 10 losses in the ufc and 6 more from elsewhere . if it wasnt for the big knee on old man askren nobody would even be talking about him fighting the champ coming off 3 losses

Tiiimmmaaayyy

First 100 ish
Jan 19, 2015
masvidal wont be beating either of them . he is no more than a journeyman who had a couple good years a couple years ago . he is 51 fights in to his career and hasnt won since 2019. he is 5/5 in his last 10 with wins over fellow journeyman nate diaz ,ben askren ( punched out by jake paul ), darren till (who has won 1 fight since) the ghost of donald cerrone and jake ellenburger( on his way out the door) . masvidal has 10 losses in the ufc and 6 more from elsewhere . if it wasnt for the big knee on old man askren nobody would even be talking about him fighting the champ coming off 3 losses
I was always a fan of Masvidal, but i never considered him the top of the food chain.

MondoIDIOT

Better than you !
Mar 20, 2020
Scotty boy will get 3 pieced and soda again hahahaha

Remember when Jorge left him cut open rushing for the hospital after he Scotty tried to sucker punch him and it back fired haha

My god. Jorge will become champion only to lose the belt to Conor McGregor

Weird timeline we live in

Robbie Hart

All Biden Voters Are Mindless Sheep
Feb 13, 2015
Without putting together 6 paragraphs on why, I’ll just tell you:

Absolutely in favor of this decision

You win, you choose (Bishping was the worst violator)