General Let's go Hippo Hunting!

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to Sign Up today.

ThatOneDude

Commander in @Chief, Dick Army
First 100
Jan 14, 2015
The hippos have escaped Escobar’s former ranch and moved into Colombia’s main river, the Magdelena. Spread over a growing area, nobody knows exactly how many there are—but estimates indicate there may be a total population between 80 and 100, says Jonathan Shurin, an ecologist with University of California San Diego who studies the animals.

Rambo John J

Eats things that would make a Billy Goat Puke
First 100
Jan 17, 2015
Are they good eatin?

" According to a 1962 article in The New Scientist, hippos have very little fat and a high yield of edible protein—roughly 1,200 pounds of meat from an average-sized hippo.

But about that porkiness: The terroir of your average African hippo is, of course, influenced by its grass-heavy diet, while those Colombian transplants are stuck with local roughage. (Coca leaves?) The grass leads to a flavor that many describe as unlike any other typical protein. Unless it's blasted with the high, wet heat of a pressure cooker, the meat is lean and tough. It's sometimes dried, salted, and added to a vegetable stew. The skin, which can grow up to two inches thick and exudes a red slime that acts as a natural sunblock, probably doesn't make a very good chicharrón."

"But hippos can be as deadly dead as they are alive. In 2011, 500 people in Zambia were infected with anthrax after eating tainted hippo meat. In 2004, four people in western Uganda died after eating a hippo that "died of a strange disease."

Papi Chingon

Domesticated Hombre
Oct 19, 2015
" According to a 1962 article in The New Scientist, hippos have very little fat and a high yield of edible protein—roughly 1,200 pounds of meat from an average-sized hippo.

But about that porkiness: The terroir of your average African hippo is, of course, influenced by its grass-heavy diet, while those Colombian transplants are stuck with local roughage. (Coca leaves?) The grass leads to a flavor that many describe as unlike any other typical protein. Unless it's blasted with the high, wet heat of a pressure cooker, the meat is lean and tough. It's sometimes dried, salted, and added to a vegetable stew. The skin, which can grow up to two inches thick and exudes a red slime that acts as a natural sunblock, probably doesn't make a very good chicharrón."

"But hippos can be as deadly dead as they are alive. In 2011, 500 people in Zambia were infected with anthrax after eating tainted hippo meat. In 2004, four people in western Uganda died after eating a hippo that "died of a strange disease."

Say no more I'm SOLD!!!! Might need a few new freezers. I've got meat tenderizers and pressure cookers. Slow cook over low heat and I'll do pulled hippo tacos. Anyone up for hippo backstrap? I am! Slice, dice, put in rice bitches.