Let's talk about the 2nd Round of Tate vs. McMann

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to Sign Up today.
Jan 19, 2015
I had McMann winning that round. For nearly 3:40 or so she was being the more Effective Fighter. Was that Guillotine attempt really that effective? I thought it was locked in at first, then McMann broke the grip and rode out the rest of the round while Meisha tried to lock it up again. That was for like only a minute though. Does a decent guillotine attempt really cancel out all the Effective Striking McMann did for most of that round? What say you?

Shy Guy

Clowns to the left of me, jokers to the right...
First 100
Jan 14, 2015
TwentyNineTwentyEight;n12554 said:
I had McMann winning that round. For nearly 3:40 or so she was being the more Effective Fighter. Was that Guillotine attempt really that effective? I thought it was locked in at first, then McMann broke the grip and rode out the rest of the round while Meisha tried to lock it up again. That was for like only a minute though. Does a decent guillotine attempt really cancel out all the Effective Striking McMann did for most of that round? What say you?

It reminded me of round 4 of Gus vs. Jones. Gus was winning the round until the final minute where Jones landed the spinning elbow. Somehow that one strike nullified all of the offense Gus did for the prior 4 minutes.

Much like Diaz, I don't understand MMA scoring.

dacofty

Yea..Ok..Whatever
First 100
Jan 15, 2015
Oh believe me McMann won that fight but due to the Tate/Rousey history the UFC wants that match up so im pretty sure that's why it ended like it did. The Judging has gotten so bad lately that the corruption is shining thru.

Greek777

Posting Machine
First 100
Jan 18, 2015
It's tough to say, but what happens in the last 2 minutes of a fight always seems to leave more of an impression on the judges than the beginning of the round. I gotta watch this fight again. I thought Tate took a very close decision 2-1 but the 2nd round is definitely the key here.

Jan 19, 2015
I can appreciate the fact that in Judging MMA, they're supposed to weigh Effective Striking and Effective Grappling equally and I realize McMann didn't drop or dominate Tate for the 3:43 she had the fight standing. But, I really didn't think that Guillotine attempt was all that after the 1st initial grip break. McMann was on her side and had Tate in a half guard position. Tate went for a guillotine from the half guard position and it just looked like McMann was just riding out the time till the horn came. I mean, it was a good way to make it a fight after a 1st RND that could've been a 10-8 rnd for McMann, but, McMann really landed some decent, hard shots to Tate. I've done years of striking and grappling and when I weighed in the entire round, I still thought McMann did enough to win the round. Not a blowout, but, I still feel McMann was the more Effective fighter in the 2nd. /End Rant. Thanks for listening/posting.

seekntruth

#keepladyhands
First 100
Jan 18, 2015
I remember thinking at the end of rd 2 that Mcmann won it in my eyes, but because Tate ended the round in a dominate position that was what the judges will score and Tate was probably going to get that benefit on the cards....I felt Tate dominated round three as much as Mcmann dominated round one. I also felt the final tally was going to come down to how the judges saw rd two......figuring Tate would get the nod.

Rico_Cutler

First 100
First 100
Jan 18, 2015
Mcmann was saved by the bell that 2nd round. I thought Tate def deserved that round and the decision. You have lost the round when it ends with you nearly being finished. The 3rd round could have been scored a 10-8 for Tate.

Jan 19, 2015
My only thing is that Half Guard is only considered Semi Dominant in MMA Scoring. I realize that Tate had a great attempt early on, but, for the last 40-60 seconds Tate was trying to get another grip which failed and attempted to finish again from half guard, which is possible, but, hard against a Wrestler with no neck. It obviously makes no difference now, but, when dealing with a similar situation, I would like consistency in the scoring of such instances.

ECC170

Monster's 11,ATM 2,Parlay Challenge,Hero GP Champ
Pro Fighter
Jan 23, 2015
I thought sara controlled most of the rd..most judges seem to have short term memories.in my judging experience i like to make short side notes for each fighter as they happen and that helped me reflect bk on the the round as a whole..jmo

Jan 19, 2015
There is one HUGE difference in rounds 1 & 3 in giving a 10-8 score and that is DAMAGE. McMann had Effective Striking, scored a KnockDown and secured a dominant position while still landing Effective strikes till she had to fend off the a half secured reverse triangle for a short amount of time. Meisha had a great dominant 3rd round, but she didn't score a knockdown and really didn't do any damage. She had dominant position for all of the round and had some GnP to go with a Kimura attempt, but, I thought McMann did way more Damage in the 1st than Meisha did in the 3rd. Thanks for the different point of views.

Pitbull9

Daddy
Jan 28, 2015
EIther way both girls looked awesome at different parts of the fight. Saras striking looked amazing and her power is crazy. She will be champ soon i think, but needs to work on getting off her back.

Shy Guy

Clowns to the left of me, jokers to the right...
First 100
Jan 14, 2015
Pitbull3744;12795 said:
EIther way both girls looked awesome at different parts of the fight. Saras striking looked amazing and her power is crazy. She will be champ soon i think, but needs to work on getting off her back.
Glad to see you over here.

Both girls impressed me. McMann has some heavy hands and her boxing has improved big time.

Miesha is tough and has crazy heart.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Star-Lord

Saving the Universe one Fight at a Time
Amateur Fighter
Jan 23, 2015
TwentyNineTwentyEight;n12554 said:
I agree with you, plus judges fucked me on winning a parlay with that fight haha.