Lifestyle Let's talk stocks!

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to Sign Up today.

b00ts

pews&vrooms
Amateur Fighter
Oct 21, 2015
Stock thread.....go

I have 1000 shares in $IMNP right now, just refining a penny stock strategy I have. Not expecting to make much since it's more of an experiment.

Watching for Ruger ($RGR) to drop after all of the panic buying in firearms. I have it realistically valued at roughly $32/share and it's at $49.75/share... at the time of writing it's severely overbought. Trends show it coming down, so once it goes lower than $32, I'll look for a good margin of safety and watch for early signs of a bounce back up from overselling and buy in. Ride that roller coaster up until the early sell signs show when it's overbought again and dip out.

If my strategy works out, I'll post up some watch lists about once a week or so with a brief description on why I'd buy if I was rich. As it stands, I can't juggle more than one stock...currently. Made a goal for me to hit and, hopefully, will be able to trade the bigger stocks in a few years.

Here's a chart on $RGR. I think it'll continue a downtrend to the correct value. Whether it'll continue that downtrend to where I'd like to buy it is TBD.

Last edited:

Hauler

Been fallin so long it's like gravitys gone
Feb 3, 2016
I bought in to EMES back in June. I'm up 172% as of right now. It's at $20.40, and I have a target of $50. Once these fracking-related companies start turning a profit I think there is going to be a lot of money to be made.

Hauler

Feb 3, 2016
2 others I have my eye on but I haven't bought in to yet...

CRR - $15.96
SND - $18.11

Hauler

Feb 3, 2016
Stock thread.....go

I have 1000 shares in $IMNP right now, just refining a penny stock strategy I have. Not expecting to make much since it's more of an experiment.

Watching for Ruger ($RGR) to drop after all of the panic buying in firearms. I have it realistically valued at roughly $32/share and it's at $49.75/share... at the time of writing it's severely overbought. Trends show it coming down, so once it goes lower than $32, I'll look for a good margin of safety and watch for early signs of a bounce back up from overselling and buy in. Ride that roller coaster up until the early sell signs show when it's overbought again and dip out.

If my strategy works out, I'll post up some watch lists about once a week or so with a brief description on why I'd buy if I was rich. As it stands, I can't juggle more than one stock...currently. Made a goal for me to hit and, hopefully, will be able to trade the bigger stocks in a few years.

Here's a chart on $RGR. I think it'll continue a downtrend to the correct value. Whether it'll continue that downtrend to where I'd like to buy it is TBD.

I bought in to Smith & Wesson (now American Outdoor Brands) back in early November '16 when it had a large sell off from $28 to $21. That move hasn't paid off yet. It rebounded shortly after its fall, but I didn't sell and that rebound is starting to look like a dead cat bounce. Currently trading at $19.30

b00ts

pews&vrooms
Amateur Fighter
Oct 21, 2015
I bought in to Smith & Wesson (now American Outdoor Brands) back in early November '16 when it had a large sell off from $28 to $21. That move hasn't paid off yet. It rebounded shortly after its fall, but I didn't sell and that rebound is starting to look like a dead cat bounce. Currently trading at $19.30
A quick calculation and I value them at around $70/share...just looking at the numbers. Looking at the chart, I'm not seeing a buy signal yet. Going to dig into their management tonight and keep this one on watch.

Wild

Zi Nazi
Admin
Dec 31, 2014
Thoughts on CHK? One I'm thinking of buying into. Got destroyed under the Obama administration.

Like LOCK and TWTR (Twitter) as well. Would like to see them take about a 20% bounce though, before buying in.

b00ts

pews&vrooms
Amateur Fighter
Oct 21, 2015
Thoughts on CHK? One I'm thinking of buying into. Got destroyed under the Obama administration.

Like LOCK and TWTR (Twitter) as well. Would like to see them take about a 20% bounce though, before buying in.
Chesapeake Energy? -24% equity growth. That's where I stop looking at them and move on to the next.

b00ts

pews&vrooms
Amateur Fighter
Oct 21, 2015
Hauler @Alco Hauler Reading the annual report and really liking the way the CEO comes across. Put them on my watch list. As soon as my indicators give a hint, I'll buy in. I know it sucks that you got in at $21, but this stock is severely undervalued.

Hauler

Feb 3, 2016
Hauler @Alco Hauler Reading the annual report and really liking the way the CEO comes across. Put them on my watch list. As soon as my indicators give a hint, I'll buy in. I know it sucks that you got in at $21, but this stock is severely undervalued.
I don't do the diligence that I should so I deserve it. If it drops too much further I will buy more and average down.

I liked the thought process behind the name change on their non-firearm related items. I think that's a smart move and opens up success for future sales.

b00ts

pews&vrooms
Amateur Fighter
Oct 21, 2015
I don't do the diligence that I should so I deserve it. If it drops too much further I will buy more and average down.

I liked the thought process behind the name change on their non-firearm related items. I think that's a smart move and opens up success for future sales.
Even if I dial back their growth potential 3%, still showing $42/share value.

Combo

Jan 22, 2017
Difference between a stock and share is?

How do you guys buy them? Like, where do you buy them from? And how well are you doing or have done in the game?

b00ts

pews&vrooms
Amateur Fighter
Oct 21, 2015
Difference between a stock and share is?

How do you guys buy them? Like, where do you buy them from? And how well are you doing or have done in the game?
These days, stocks and shares are interchangeable. You're saying you own a piece of a company. You can buy ownership in a company through a brokerage... TD Ameritrade, E-Trade, Charles Schwab, etc. Some banks have brokerages as well. I'm just starting the actual trading. I had a friend that did really well in penny stocks that taught me a few things. Between him and a few books, I've come up with my own strategy that I'm now trying out. Because I'm not moving a lot of volume and money, I use the Robinhood app to trade because it has no commission fees. Once I know that I can consistently use my strategy to profit and I have some capital built up, I'll look at moving to TD Ameritrade. Reason being is that Robinhood doesn't allow you to short-sale, you can only trade use US-listed stocks, you can't set up multiple sale orders for one company, you can't trade OTC, and a few other negatives, but it's great for what it does.

b00ts

pews&vrooms
Amateur Fighter
Oct 21, 2015
And yes....this all day lol. The friend I learned from got me interested, but this movie got me hype and I started reading and learning on my own.

We have a thread at the other forum that shall not be named where a lot of guys smarter than I am in this have posted.

Combo

Jan 22, 2017
These days, stocks and shares are interchangeable. You're saying you own a piece of a company. You can buy ownership in a company through a brokerage... TD Ameritrade, E-Trade, Charles Schwab, etc. Some banks have brokerages as well. I'm just starting the actual trading. I had a friend that did really well in penny stocks that taught me a few things. Between him and a few books, I've come up with my own strategy that I'm now trying out. Because I'm not moving a lot of volume and money, I use the Robinhood app to trade because it has no commission fees. Once I know that I can consistently use my strategy to profit and I have some capital built up, I'll look at moving to TD Ameritrade. Reason being is that Robinhood doesn't allow you to short-sale, you can only trade use US-listed stocks, you can't set up multiple sale orders for one company, you can't trade OTC, and a few other negatives, but it's great for what it does.
Thanks for the reply! ;-)

So what companies/sectors do you own stocks in? And what books are you reading?

b00ts

pews&vrooms
Amateur Fighter
Oct 21, 2015
Thanks for the reply! ;-)

So what companies/sectors do you own stocks in? And what books are you reading?
I go for sectors I know and companies that are undervalued. Always look to buy quality for a discount. I have a couple auto parts companies on watch, trucking companies, truck part manufacturers, recreational vehicle companies, and firearms/outdoor companies. I have shares in IMNP, which is a BioMed company. Completely out of my comfort zone, but I have a hunch on them. I put companies on my watch list that meet my criteria and wait for an attractive price to buy in. I read a Buffet quote and like to try and keep it close... "Long ago, Ben Graham taught me that 'Price is what you pay; value is what you get.' Whether we're talking about socks or stocks, I like buying quality merchandise when it is marked down." -Warren Buffet

Books I like are "One Up On Wallstreet" by Peter Lynch, "Tao of Charlie Munger" by David Clark (Collection of quotes from Berckshire & Hathaway's Vice Chairman, Charlie Munger...their share price is $240k/share right now), "Rule #1" by Phil Town, and I'm reading a book on technical analysis by Martin Pring currently. I've also read "Buffet: The Making of an American Capitalist" by Roger Lowenstein and "The Essays of Warren Buffet" put together by Lawrence A. Cunnigham.

Combo

Jan 22, 2017
I go for sectors I know and companies that are undervalued. Always look to buy quality for a discount. I have a couple auto parts companies on watch, trucking companies, truck part manufacturers, recreational vehicle companies, and firearms/outdoor companies. I have shares in IMNP, which is a BioMed company. Completely out of my comfort zone, but I have a hunch on them. I put companies on my watch list that meet my criteria and wait for an attractive price to buy in. I read a Buffet quote and like to try and keep it close... "Long ago, Ben Graham taught me that 'Price is what you pay; value is what you get.' Whether we're talking about socks or stocks, I like buying quality merchandise when it is marked down." -Warren Buffet

Books I like are "One Up On Wallstreet" by Peter Lynch, "Tao of Charlie Munger" by David Clark (Collection of quotes from Berckshire & Hathaway's Vice Chairman, Charlie Munger...their share price is $240k/share right now), "Rule #1" by Phil Town, and I'm reading a book on technical analysis by Martin Pring currently. I've also read "Buffet: The Making of an American Capitalist" by Roger Lowenstein and "The Essays of Warren Buffet" put together by Lawrence A. Cunnigham.
Awesome stuff, man! Thank you. I'll try and grab those books off of Amazon.

I adore Buffet, I really do. Just a really smart man. A highly functioning human being.

I've got a bunch of his books and I always go back to them even for non-business advice. It'll be a sad day when he goes.

Even the companies he goes for (Gillette, Coca Cola, American Express etc) I'd imagine they'd be pretty fool-proof for a newbie, right?

b00ts

pews&vrooms
Amateur Fighter
Oct 21, 2015
Awesome stuff, man! Thank you. I'll try and grab those books off of Amazon.

I adore Buffet, I really do. Just a really smart man. A highly functioning human being.

I've got a bunch of his books and I always go back to them even for non-business advice. It'll be a sad day when he goes.

Even the companies he goes for (Gillette, Coca Cola, American Express etc) I'd imagine they'd be pretty fool-proof for a newbie, right?
Those companies have, what he calls, a great moat. Meaning their brand name and trade secrets give them a bit of protection from companies looking to take them out. The key is buying at an attractive price. He says it best...Rule 1 of investing is "Don't lose money" and Rule 2 is "Don't forget Rule 1". He is an incredible person. He says somewhere that accumulating capital was just a scorecard to him, showing that he beat everyone else. It's why he donated so much to various organizations later in life and after Susy died.

I suggest learning all you can and then paper trading for a few months. Paper trading is just simulated money. Like right now, I still have some paper trading going on with a modified strategy I'm trying.

b00ts

pews&vrooms
Amateur Fighter
Oct 21, 2015
My 401k is up 14% for the year. I'm pretty stoked.
I reallocated mine and it's up around 21%. I'm about to roll some out to an IRA so that I can invest a little more on my own without worrying about the tax penalty for taking it out.

Combo

Jan 22, 2017
Those companies have, what he calls, a great moat. Meaning their brand name and trade secrets give them a bit of protection from companies looking to take them out. The key is buying at an attractive price. He says it best...Rule 1 of investing is "Don't lose money" and Rule 2 is "Don't forget Rule 1". He is an incredible person. He says somewhere that accumulating capital was just a scorecard to him, showing that he beat everyone else. It's why he donated so much to various organizations later in life and after Susy died.

I suggest learning all you can and then paper trading for a few months. Paper trading is just simulated money. Like right now, I still have some paper trading going on with a modified strategy I'm trying.
I agree. They're the first companies I'd personally go for.

Also, over here in the UK, there's a few brands that have a big presence here that I'd buy. Like Nestle/Cadburys etc.

I mean, the man has something like SEVENTY BILLION yet still lives in the same house he bought in the 50's! He could buy a freaking country if he wanted to, but he has show INCREDIBLE restraint with that sort of money. Amazing really.

Let's try and keep this thread going as it has got potential to be awesome!

b00ts

pews&vrooms
Amateur Fighter
Oct 21, 2015
I agree. They're the first companies I'd personally go for.

Also, over here in the UK, there's a few brands that have a big presence here that I'd buy. Like Nestle/Cadburys etc.

I mean, the man has something like SEVENTY BILLION yet still lives in the same house he bought in the 50's! He could buy a freaking country if he wanted to, but he has show INCREDIBLE restraint with that sort of money. Amazing really.

Let's try and keep this thread going as it has got potential to be awesome!
I see you watched the documentary lol

b00ts

pews&vrooms
Amateur Fighter
Oct 21, 2015
Btw, any good sites you'd recommend for paper trading at all?
I use TD Ameritrade's thinkorswim platform. I'm used to it and comfortable, so I think when I roll my money to an IRA to start serious trading, it'll definitely be with them.

Like I said in the OP, once I can consistently call stocks to watch that will net a profit, I'll start putting up watchlists and reasons to buy. I'll try to cover all sectors because we all don't like or know the same things. Basically anything that can pass the "test" and I'll just post what industry, so someone interested can check it out without having to go through all of the symbols to get a company profile.

jasonhightower

"You're not even training are you Frenchy?"
Jan 2, 2017
In for later. I do dabble a little in the market. A couple weeks ago I grabbed some TWMJF as they ramp up for Canada's legal weed market. Up 22.5% since I bought it.

Also keeping an eye on GBLX.

I can invest in sectors in my 401(k) and have a hefty portion in Biotechnology and Gold, which have fared well so far.