General Let's talk trucks

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to Sign Up today.

Rambo John J

Eats things that would make a Billy Goat Puke
First 100
Jan 17, 2015
BeardOfKnowledge @JakePaulsBeard
why the hell did toyota delete the trans cooler on the tundra '19 '20 '21?
That doesn't seem cool to me

Thinking of adding one to a '21 I'm purchasing...mostly factory parts except for an aftermarket performance cooler

I know that Trans is a friggin beast but I don't want it to fail before the truck hits old age if I keep it that long.

Just kidding, I know it isn't your question to answer...any thoughts on the topic though?

I see that they added it back on the '22s but I am not getting the first year of a new engine especially a twin turbo

BeardOfKnowledge

The Most Consistent Motherfucker You Know
Jul 22, 2015
BeardOfKnowledge @JakePaulsBeard
why the hell did toyota delete the trans cooler on the tundra '19 '20 '21?
That doesn't seem cool to me

Thinking of adding one to a '21 I'm purchasing...mostly factory parts except for an aftermarket performance cooler

I know that Trans is a friggin beast but I don't want it to fail before the truck hits old age if I keep it that long.

Just kidding, I know it isn't your question to answer...any thoughts on the topic though?

I see that they added it back on the '22s but I am not getting the first year of a new engine especially a twin turbo
I didn't think they had. It's never been an issue.

Rambo John J

First 100
Jan 17, 2015
I didn't think they had. It's never been an issue.
Yep, they took it away...it got a heat exchanger that uses hot coolant from the engine to try and cool the trans fluid.
I do understand it hasn't shown to be an issue yet, but then again most '19s probably haven't even hit 100K yet so it may show to be a problem down the line...or not.

I know a guy that has had the warning light a bunch of times (302 degrees F) come on for his trans while doing below recommendation towing on an incline. Some people report pretty high temps(they are tapping into the computer to monitor), not sure if it will be damaging long term or not.

I don't tow heavy much but I am thinking of throwing one on if I get the '21 long bed...costs $802 for the kit and I think I can install myself.

I just kinda want to be safe if I decide to keep the truck for the long term...I dunno.

Gas is still reasonable here(3.50 USD/G) so I'm not scared of that thirsty V8 yet...of course that could change.

BeardOfKnowledge

The Most Consistent Motherfucker You Know
Jul 22, 2015
Yep, they took it away...it got a heat exchanger that uses hot coolant from the engine to try and cool the trans fluid.
I do understand it hasn't shown to be an issue yet, but then again most '19s probably haven't even hit 100K yet so it may show to be a problem down the line...or not.

I know a guy that has had the warning light a bunch of times (302 degrees F) come on for his trans while doing below recommendation towing on an incline. Some people report pretty high temps(they are tapping into the computer to monitor), not sure if it will be damaging long term or not.

I don't tow heavy much but I am thinking of throwing one on if I get the '21 long bed...costs $802 for the kit and I think I can install myself.

I just kinda want to be safe if I decide to keep the truck for the long term...I dunno.

Gas is still reasonable here(3.50 USD/G) so I'm not scared of that thirsty V8 yet...of course that could change.
Are you sure they got rid of it across all models?

Rambo John J

First 100
Jan 17, 2015
Are you sure they got rid of it across all models?
Yes, they were advertising a trans cooler during '19 and '20 but it wasn't actually there, they took the name trans cooler off of the factory window sticker for '21 finally.
The truck forums have a lot of discussion about it, even toyota mechanics(allegedly) commenting on it. Almost 100% sure they took it off of all models.

I got under a few '21s (even TRD PRO and basically all types of models) and where there used to be a thermostat/pump with hardline going out to a small trans cooler radiator in front there was only a lil puck looking thing and no lines going anywhere.
I have been looking at Cert Pre owned '18s and before and they all have thermostat/pump with hardline and a cooler in front.
Totally different set up under there for cooling the trans, most of the rest of the workings look exactly the same on that generation of tundra.

Like you said it hasn't shown to be a common problem...yet.

I would just feel better keeping that temp in the low 200s if possible, the cost is small for the potential benefit of a costly repair at a couple hundred thousand miles...at least that is my thinking.

I'm also a guy that is looking for a new truck due to his old truck's transmission failure lol.

Maybe they know that most people don't tow anymore so it won't hit high temps?

Qat

QoQ
Nov 3, 2015
So, not strictly a truck question, but what do you guys think of mild hybrids? Yay or nay and why?

SoupCan

how bout dat
First 100
Jan 18, 2015
Got a 2021 3500hd Denali, thing is mental but dogshit in the snow. 6.6 duramax Dualie, had something like 16000 on the trailer and barely noticed it tows the gooseneck really well.

To many creature comforts though, it shakes the seat in different spots when the parking sensors pick something up, it feels like butterflies tickling my anus

Rambo John J

First 100
Jan 17, 2015
Got a 2021 3500hd Denali, thing is mental but dogshit in the snow. 6.6 duramax Dualie, had something like 16000 on the trailer and barely noticed it tows the gooseneck really well.

To many creature comforts though, it shakes the seat in different spots when the parking sensors pick something up, it feels like butterflies tickling my anus
How is it shit in the snow?

The anus part sounds cool tho

Rambo John J

First 100
Jan 17, 2015
Just so you know, the way that article describes the system is factually incorrect.
I think they might be backing off on charging people who already have that feature, at least for those that can do it without the App, probably will stick it to the app remote start folks

And the Remote Start isn't advertised on factory sticker or by dealers(might be advertised on the 2022s tho)...the method to do it via key fob isn't in the manual, but I have seen it work

Last edited:

Qat

QoQ
Nov 3, 2015
What's a "mild" hybrid?
This was exactly my question.
I think that refers to vehicles that don’t have electric motors, but shut off the IC engine whenever it is not needed.
No that sounds like a start / stop system.

Mild hybrid in our neck of the woods are cars with normal engines and an additional electrical engine, but without a designated charging system - so no plug-in hybrid.
It generates charge on the road. Dunno if you use the term recuperation for that.
Those are low-voltage options (like 48v or so) that only support the normal engine.
What's your term for it?

Rambo John J

First 100
Jan 17, 2015
No that sounds like a start / stop system.

Mild hybrid in our neck of the woods are cars with normal engines and an additional electrical engine, but without a designated charging system - so no plug-in hybrid.
It generates charge on the road. Dunno if you use the term recuperation for that.
Those are low-voltage options (like 48v or so) that only support the normal engine.
What's your term for it?
No idea on the hybrids, I considered a truck with one. The 2022 Tundra has a hybrid option, but the first year of that type of thing isn't something I am interested in personally.

"Yes, the all-new Tundra will once again offer two powertrain options, but both involve a Ford EcoBoost-evoking "3.5-liter" twin-turbo V-6 at their heart. Standing alone, this 3,445cc six-banger produces 389 hp and 479 lb-ft of torque—that's 8 horses and 78 lb-ft more than the geriatric eight it replaces. By slipping an electric motor into the transmission bell housing between the flywheel and torque converter, those figures jump to 437 hp at 5,200 rpm and a class-walloping 583 lb-ft of torque at only 2,400 rpm. (Save the Googling—that's 13 more than the Ford-150's PowerBoost twin-turbo V-6 spools out and just 67 shy of the ridonk Ram 1500 TRX."

Last edited:

Qat

QoQ
Nov 3, 2015
No idea on the hybrids, I considered a truck with one. The 2022 Tundra has a hybrid option, but the first year of that type of thing isn't something I am interested in personally.

"Yes, the all-new Tundra will once again offer two powertrain options, but both involve a Ford EcoBoost-evoking "3.5-liter" twin-turbo V-6 at their heart. Standing alone, this 3,445cc six-banger produces 389 hp and 479 lb-ft of torque—that's 8 horses and 78 lb-ft more than the geriatric eight it replaces. By slipping an electric motor into the transmission bell housing between the flywheel and torque converter, those figures jump to 437 hp at 5,200 rpm and a class-walloping 583 lb-ft of torque at only 2,400 rpm. (Save the Googling—that's 13 more than the Ford-150's PowerBoost twin-turbo V-6 spools out and just 67 shy of the ridonk Ram 1500 TRX."
Yeah Toyota uses em a ton from small to big cars and since quite a couple of years already.

Qat

QoQ
Nov 3, 2015
Look bruv, you know I love ya, but this is a serious question. If ya clown me on that I'm gonna be big mad. And you don't want me big mad!!

Parents are looking to downsize on their vehicle, and are looking at those.
They don't have a charging option at home so a pure electric or plug - in hybrid makes no sense for now.

From what I can gather the mild hybrids actually do lower the fuel consumption in most cases, and people seem to like em. Only costs like 1k extra too.

But then again, you are adding another system to your car that can break.

kneeblock

Drapetomaniac
Apr 18, 2015

Rambo John J

First 100
Jan 17, 2015
Not sure the make/model but I think some people are paying monthly for heated seats.