General Let's talk trucks

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to Sign Up today.

BeardOfKnowledge

The Most Consistent Motherfucker You Know
Jul 22, 2015
They're nice trucks it was the older generation that had the wiring & frame problems. Pre 2012 I think.
As I said, the whole thing was much ado about nothing. I've worked on Toyotas off and on since 2002, it was a media narrative pushed primarily by other failing manufacturers. GM is the major cuplrit in Canada as the union that represents their workers is also the union that represents the Canadian media. You'll also notice most of Toyota's bad press started right around the time that North American governments began to have financial stakes in their competitors.

Splinty

Shake 'em off
Admin
Dec 31, 2014
I'm sure they tow nice but they can eat a bag of dicks with their soy coated wires and rusty ass frames.

And their locking rear diffs!!

Oh wait. :(

I gave the tundras a hard look. I own a 4Runner and it's excellent and there's nothing else like it.
The 4runner suffers the lack of modern transmission. That should be remedied ASAP but Toyota doesn't need to because they can't keep them on the lots. And we bought one so it's not like it stopped us anyway. But it's a negative. It's a body on frame mid size SUV and manufacturers should make more of those. It's great and reliable. It's old school in the right ways. And like the Tacoma it's something special in its class that no one else has done as well, or even at all.

But that's not true for the tundra. The tundra commands a high price in a very competitive market. And I admit the TRD version with some of the best paint colors in the industry is a really attractive looking truck. plus the full roll down rear window is cool. And I'm sure the engine is Toyota reliable. And that's where the positives end. The truck commands a high cost but lacks a significant number of options and features that all of the competitors have now at the same price point.

Tundra needs a revision starting with a locking rear diff and a modern transmission. Add in some options to justify the price point. It's no wonder it's dropped so far in sales compared to the big three that are in an active truck war for almost a decade.

ShatsBassoon

Throwing bombs & banging moms
First 100
Jan 14, 2015
As I said, the whole thing was much ado about nothing. I've worked on Toyotas off and on since 2002, it was a media narrative pushed primarily by other failing manufacturers. GM is the major cuplrit in Canada as the union that represents their workers is also the union that represents the Canadian media. You'll also notice most of Toyota's bad press started right around the time that North American governments began to have financial stakes in their competitors.
Chevy/gm lives in a glass house

Splinty

Shake 'em off
Admin
Dec 31, 2014
Oh. You're one of those.

And comically terrible mileage.
And poor highway experience due to ancient transmission and steering feel.
And antiquated interior. Which even then would be fine in a cool way if the infotainment stuff and other modern options weren't equally ancient.

But yeah the "we use our brakes and call it an lsd" mumbo jumbo was disappointing. So a locking rear diff, while selling an overlander community experience would be nice and honest.

Positives are reliability, looks of the highest model, and that back seat room is awesome. And yeah. From there it's like purchasing a new truck from 2005.

Splinty

Shake 'em off
Admin
Dec 31, 2014
Remember that country song where the girl digs his Toyota?

Neither do I!

Tundra's have a big community following. If you own one the overland guys will meet up with you plan trips do meet ups etc
It's kind of like the Jeep community. And I get that's cool. Suddenly the truck is more than just a truck.

But day-to-day usage just about any of the big three have superlatives over the Tundra depending on what you're trying to do whether that be towing, off-roading, carrying work payloads, or just buying a landman luxury truck.

Splinty

Shake 'em off
Admin
Dec 31, 2014
My corolla got all the bitches. It was “champagne” in colour with a beige interior. Fuckin clams loved it.
Son, I remember that car.
Pioneer CD player with the detachable face. Two Kicker 10s rattling the trunk from an off brand chinese amp.
No women rode in your car son. Not once. Not ever. Turn your visor around, it looks stupid.

M

member 1013

Pioneer CD player with the detachable face. Two Kicker 10s rattling the trunk from an off brand chinese amp.
No women rode in your car son. Not once. Not ever. Turn your visor around, it looks stupid.
Fuck you dad, it was an Alpine CD player! Do you even love me?

BeardOfKnowledge

The Most Consistent Motherfucker You Know
Jul 22, 2015
And comically terrible mileage.
And poor highway experience due to ancient transmission and steering feel.
And antiquated interior. Which even then would be fine in a cool way if the infotainment stuff and other modern options weren't equally ancient.

But yeah the "we use our brakes and call it an lsd" mumbo jumbo was disappointing. So a locking rear diff, while selling an overlander community experience would be nice and honest.

Positives are reliability, looks of the highest model, and that back seat room is awesome. And yeah. From there it's like purchasing a new truck from 2005.
Don't take this the wrong way, but you're asking why someone who's selling steak isn't instead selling you sizzle.

ShatsBassoon

Throwing bombs & banging moms
First 100
Jan 14, 2015
Business in the front, party in the back.