General Let's talk trucks

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to Sign Up today.

Grateful Dude

TMMAC Addict
May 30, 2016
NOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

YAAAAAAYYYYYYY!!!!!!!!!!!

It was actually the first one I asked about price, but Apparently the KO2s were going to take weeks to get in, guy said they’re having a hard time getting them in common sizes.

what’s you’re gripe about the OC AT3? I’ve read good things but never had them, allegedly a lot better than the AT2s - but I dunno. And I’m not actually sure they’re going to be able to get them quickly, so I may be changing my choice tomorrow when I find out. Falken Wildpeaks and Notto Ridge Grapplers were also options.

Grateful Dude

TMMAC Addict
May 30, 2016
They aren't assuming you keep your truck aligned. Duratracs on the other hand feather while you drive the truck out of the shop.
My business partner just got a new truck with Duratracs and they are louder than anything I’ve ever had. Can feel it too on the road, not bad but a bit. They’ve been working well off-road though

BeardOfKnowledge

The Most Consistent Motherfucker You Know
Jul 22, 2015
what’s you’re gripe about the OC AT3?
Nothing specifically, I'm just giving you shit. The OC AT's were horrifically bad tires. The AT2's were supposed to be a "huge" improvement over the AT's and they were, but they were still fraught with problems. The AT3's might have finally fixed things, but based on past performance I have my doubts.

BeardOfKnowledge

Jul 22, 2015
My business partner just got a new truck with Duratracs and they are louder than anything I’ve ever had. Can feel it too on the road, not bad but a bit. They’ve been working well off-road though
What I tell people is if you're like 75/25 on road/off road you wnat KO2's. If you're 25/75 on road/off road then it's worth looking at Duratracs. A KO2 is a road tire that holds it own off road, a Duratrac is a mud tire.

Rambo John J

Eats things that would make a Billy Goat Puke
First 100
Jan 17, 2015
I didn't even know that existed until just now.
I have seen a few odd versions from the late 70s thru the 80s or so
Crazy camper vehicles and all types of great concepts...some of the vintage models were pretty entertaining and ambitious

check out this 81 dually thing, so much going on
1634092765910.png

Grateful Dude

TMMAC Addict
May 30, 2016
Nothing specifically, I'm just giving you shit. The OC AT's were horrifically bad tires. The AT2's were supposed to be a "huge" improvement over the AT's and they were, but they were still fraught with problems. The AT3's might have finally fixed things, but based on past performance I have my doubts.
I didn’t spend hours researching or anything, but I didn’t find a single bad review on them. Never had toyo tires though so I dunno.

I’m limping on one of my tires right, and there are several tires I like well enough, so it may come down to what I can actually get sooner than later. Been driving off road every day for a project we have going on, and I feel like this one tire has about had enough. The rest are low on tread, but one has some damage so I want to just get it done.

the front bilsteins are also out of stock, so should also find out in the next day or so how long that’s going to take. Apparently the new mode has five settings - I thought it was just four.

direct quote from the guy at the truck store:
“Shipping has been all fucked up for parts and tires”. lol

BeardOfKnowledge

Jul 22, 2015
That sucks. Any idea when it will actually get in?
Vaguely. On Saturday I was informed it was at the depot which is about 4-5 hours away. It will depend on where in the shipping cue it is. Anywhere from 2-7 days, but I'm being optimistic and hoping I'll see it by this weekend.

Hauler

Been fallin so long it's like gravitys gone
Feb 3, 2016
They aren't assuming you keep your truck aligned. Duratracs on the other hand feather while you drive the truck out of the shop.
What's this mean? Feather?

Was thinking of putting Duratracs on tge wife's Jeep.

Rambo John J

First 100
Jan 17, 2015
Found a 4x4 2021 tacoma xtra cab with the 3.5
pretty bare bones...I can get it for 29k or just a bit under 29

BeardOfKnowledge @JakePaulsBeard how is that engine in your opinion?

I only tow my light trailer with it...830lbs empty and I only load it to about 2800lbs total trailer weight

I have a big old ford for heavy trailers

my precious ranger 4.o is in need of a new tranny and I can't get it fixed until december

Rambo John J

First 100
Jan 17, 2015
I'm not a fan, personally. It makes it's peak torque at like 4000 rpm. My personal opinion is the engine isn't a good match for the vehicle.
Thanks for the input

Can you expand on any other reasons why it isn't a good match?

I test drove a couple and it isn't gonna get up to 4000 unless you use the "manual shift"/S part of the automatic transmission

Did seem a bit odd to me, but I haven't driven many Automatic trucks so I don't have much to compare to.

Biden Gas has me considering the strongish V6 over the V8(tundra)

And also I noticed this Tacoma doesn't actually have a steel floor for the truck bed anymore...is that common or just 3rd gen no frills tacoma stuff? They polymer/plastic did seem very strong but I am just used to metal bed under the liner

Last edited:

BeardOfKnowledge

Jul 22, 2015
Can you expand on any other reasons why it isn't a good match?
High revving engines like to be wound out. That's why you'll traditionally find them in performance oriented cars. In a heavier vehicle (like a full frame truck) you want your torque to be down low to get that object into motion. 280hp at 6k doesn't help you much because you're never going to hit 6 grand. If you can, find a 2015 or earlier with the 4 liter and drive it, and note any differences in driveability you notice.

Rambo John J

First 100
Jan 17, 2015
High revving engines like to be wound out. That's why you'll traditionally find them in performance oriented cars. In a heavier vehicle (like a full frame truck) you want your torque to be down low to get that object into motion. 280hp at 6k doesn't help you much because you're never going to hit 6 grand. If you can, find a 2015 or earlier with the 4 liter and drive it, and note any differences in driveability you notice.
Gotcha, thanks...that is about what it felt like...it is kinda set up wrong to use that power eh

Problem is those 2015s cost the same price and have no warranty, I have driven plenty of those(only manuals tho)
Will try an automatic tomorrow to feel the difference

BeardOfKnowledge

Jul 22, 2015
Gotcha, thanks...that is about what it felt like...it is kinda set up wrong to use that power eh

Problem is those 2015s cost the same price and have no warranty, I have driven plenty of those(only manuals tho)
Will try an automatic tomorrow to feel the difference
I mean, I'm certainly not going to tell people what level of risk they should be taking, but I just got rid of my 08, and the only reason was that where I live they get very carried away with road salt. It had about 150k miles on it and ran like a top, unfortunately around these parts rust is gonna getcha. If not for that, I'd still be driving it around.

Rambo John J

First 100
Jan 17, 2015
I mean, I'm certainly not going to tell people what level of risk they should be taking, but I just got rid of my 08, and the only reason was that where I live they get very carried away with road salt. It had about 150k miles on it and ran like a top, unfortunately around these parts rust is gonna getcha. If not for that, I'd still be driving it around.
Cool, I would never hold anybody responsible for a vehicle decision I pull the trigger on...but I do need one asap

Those are some good years, I used to have one that I regret selling also
Salt can be a bummer, lucky we don't use it much here

I assume you got another truck, a Rivian?

BeardOfKnowledge

Jul 22, 2015
Cool, I would never hold anybody responsible for a vehicle decision I pull the trigger on...but I do need one asap

Those are some good years, I used to have one that I regret selling also
Salt can be a bummer, lucky we don't use it much here

I assume you got another truck, a Rivian?
No, sir. Did the math and don't really need a truck anymore, and have access to one if I do. Got myself Subaru WRX.

Splinty

Shake 'em off
Admin
Dec 31, 2014
Other than the ugly front end it appears to be a strong performer.
Should have a frunk that opens the grill like the electric f-150 too but that's a minor complaint.

Excellent off-road, adaptable suspension for on road, nicer interior than other trucks, thoughtful overlanding additions, better payload capacity than a lot of competition, and sits at a popular size between the tacoma and tundra.

It's gonna sell like hot cakes and the R1S will probably sell even better

1635340551242.png

Splinty

Shake 'em off
Admin
Dec 31, 2014
A better electric front end

1635340615660.png

As you can see by this small woman in the frunk the rivian requires lifting up and over to use

1635340661778.png