General Let's talk trucks

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to Sign Up today.

Filthy

Iowa Wrestling Champion
Jun 28, 2016
i've been looking at Medium/Heavy Duty Trucks...Freightliner M2, International Terrastar, Volvo, etc. started out as research for my 'startup' - but now I'm looking at a chassis to build an RV on.

I'd love a MDT Volvo, but they don't really sell them in the US. Seems like the only option is a Class 8 rigid chassis...but that's not maneuverable enough.

anyone got opinions on DEF? heard it runs quieter and more efficiently, also heard it's a pain in the ass that reduces engine life.
best engine? MBE906, DT466, B6.7, L9...I think the last diesel I turned a wrench on was Grandpa'd D7 dozer, so I know nothing.

Also interested in any opinions or insights on handling/noise/etc that differentiates the platforms...

Hauler

Been fallin so long it's like gravitys gone
Feb 3, 2016
i've been looking at Medium/Heavy Duty Trucks...Freightliner M2, International Terrastar, Volvo, etc. started out as research for my 'startup' - but now I'm looking at a chassis to build an RV on.

I'd love a MDT Volvo, but they don't really sell them in the US. Seems like the only option is a Class 8 rigid chassis...but that's not maneuverable enough.

anyone got opinions on DEF? heard it runs quieter and more efficiently, also heard it's a pain in the ass that reduces engine life.
best engine? MBE906, DT466, B6.7, L9...I think the last diesel I turned a wrench on was Grandpa'd D7 dozer, so I know nothing.

Also interested in any opinions or insights on handling/noise/etc that differentiates the platforms...

Stay away from the 2010-13 models if you go DEF. Took them a bit to figure it out - engines crapping out. Especially International. They really shit the bed on their initial DEF design.

It's fixed now, so if you go International be sure to go (I think) 2015 or later. I'm sure there are some articles out there.

Freightliner M2 is a solid platform.

MondoIDIOT

Better than you !
Mar 20, 2020
Lots of TINY men in this thread !

If you own a truck for anything other then work you are an over aggressive clown

ESPECIALLY if you 'jack it' up 3 inches

You probably tailgate everyone because you feel bad ass in your big truck but would pussy out immediately if challenged back

I guarantee it .

Filthy

Iowa Wrestling Champion
Jun 28, 2016
Stay away from the 2010-13 models if you go DEF. Took them a bit to figure it out - engines crapping out. Especially International. They really shit the bed on their initial DEF design.

It's fixed now, so if you go International be sure to go (I think) 2015 or later. I'm sure there are some articles out there.

Freightliner M2 is a solid platform.
SuperCritical Info, thanks.

My budget puts me right in the 2005-2015 range of trucks. I like FL's platforms, even the FL70 is doable. Big thing for me is to get an extended cab, like a Hotshot chassis. I have 3 kids, and when they ride in the 'house' of an RV, it's terrifying. Those things are made out of fiberglass and just enough steel to hold the walls up.

I've heard that empty trucks ride real rough, so it's important to have a 'house' weight that's in the sweet spot of the suspension.

Any idea how far back the rear axle should be...on the van chassis they bolt on frame extenders, so the rear wheels are basically under the center of the 'house'. Would it be better to have the rear axle as far rear-ward as possible?

Hauler

Been fallin so long it's like gravitys gone
Feb 3, 2016
Any idea how far back the rear axle should be...on the van chassis they bolt on frame extenders, so the rear wheels are basically under the center of the 'house'. Would it be better to have the rear axle as far rear-ward as possible?
Sorry - Can't help you there.

Splinty

Shake 'em off
Admin
Dec 31, 2014
I hate the way they have the center screen just duct taped in place like a redneck with an ipad.
I'm neutral on it now. I still don't like it but I'm giving in and every car manufacturer seems to be doing it.

I hope that means easier and better infotainment updates

SuperPig

Enjoy yourselves
Aug 7, 2015
I'm neutral on it now. I still don't like it but I'm giving in and every car manufacturer seems to be doing it.

I hope that means easier and better infotainment updates
I don't mind the screens when they're actually integrated into the dash but it seems like half the industry makes great interiors and then they get to that part and forget everything they know about aesthetics.

BeardOfKnowledge

The Most Consistent Motherfucker You Know
Jul 22, 2015
I don't mind the screens when they're actually integrated into the dash but it seems like half the industry makes great interiors and then they get to that part and forget everything they know about aesthetics.
Consumer demand dictates aesthetician design. Cars were better off without screens but somewhere along the way we became tech virtue signallers who demand as many screens as possible. Bigger the better

Rambo John J

Eats things that would make a Billy Goat Puke
First 100
Jan 17, 2015
Standard screen is 8 inch.
Do you by chance know when toyota first put in a screen?
I am looking at trucks every week...haven't pinned down when the screens arrived.
I would prefer pre screen vehicles.

BeardOfKnowledge

The Most Consistent Motherfucker You Know
Jul 22, 2015
Cool
Thanks

I think I drove one of those flush in the dash models for work for a few years
Wouldn't surprise me. They've been pretty common across manufacturers for some time now. It's only recently that they've gone the direction of very obviously sticking out of the dash.

Rambo John J

Eats things that would make a Billy Goat Puke
First 100
Jan 17, 2015
Wouldn't surprise me. They've been pretty common across manufacturers for some time now. It's only recently that they've gone the direction of very obviously sticking out of the dash.
Ya, those are a bit much even for those who want that

I would prefer no screen at all

Screens are distracting