Like Maia, but I think/hope Masvidal will win

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to Sign Up today.

Ghost Bro

Wololo ~Leave no turn unstoned
Nov 13, 2015
Then people can get used to a Cuban champ and Yoel Romero can finally get his title shot!!

Regardless, I think Maia should have waited, as he also has earned a title shot and Masvidal can tune him up easily if he's not careful.

Joemacka

Bisping is GOAT
Oct 19, 2015
Masvidal is gonna slap Maia around the octagon. Maia is gonna be back flopping after a minute into the fight.

Hwoarang

TMMAC Addict
Oct 22, 2015
I don't like this fight. Love both these fighters and I have no idea which way it'll go but I imagine one of them is getting humiliated.
If Maia can't get it to the ground he's going to look like an amateur as he looks hopeless and gets picked apart. Or he does manage to get it to the ground where he's going to dispatch of Masvidal so easy and make him look terrible.
Hopefully I'm wrong and they put on some fireworks.

SuperPig

Enjoy yourselves
Aug 7, 2015
I'm the opposite. I like Jorge but I really hope that Maia works him over and is finally given his shot at the belt.

I also still kind of hold it against Masvidal that he would just go on autopilot in so many fights instead of actually attacking and finishing like he is capable of doing.

Robbie Hart

All Biden Voters Are Mindless Sheep
Feb 13, 2015
Raging al already beat masvidal down and he would ko Maia (as much as I like Demian)........he deserves a title fight at 170.

Last edited:
M

member 603

Here's another example of the UFC being way past due with title shots.... Maia has been on a tear and deserves a title fight, and Jorge is on a decent run too. I get that they needed to run back that Wonderboy/Woodley draw, but this fight should be a title fight.

At the end of the day, I'm picking Maia to win. In my opinion, whoever wins we know will get the next crack at the title, but the loser should fight the loser of the next WW title fight with the winner there getting the title shot. Neither Maia or Jorge should drop low in the rankings with a loss.

Ghost Bro

Wololo ~Leave no turn unstoned
Nov 13, 2015
Here's another example of the UFC being way past due with title shots.... Maia has been on a tear and deserves a title fight, and Jorge is on a decent run too. I get that they needed to run back that Wonderboy/Woodley draw, but this fight should be a title fight.

At the end of the day, I'm picking Maia to win. In my opinion, whoever wins we know will get the next crack at the title, but the loser should fight the loser of the next WW title fight with the winner there getting the title shot. Neither Maia or Jorge should drop low in the rankings with a loss.
Agreed, I selfishly want to see Masvidal win because it would be more entertaining really. I love Maia's style, its reminiscent of UFC1, he wins fights without even throwing a punch..which is why sadly I don't think the UFC would market him as much, would give him tougher fights/ less respect..its been so hard him getting a shot so far it seems like they'd take it away the first decision he'd get....and this is what this fight might be, a decision win for either would be just as terrible tbh might kill both of their momentum in getting a shot...

Rambo John J

Eats things that would make a Billy Goat Puke
First 100
Jan 17, 2015
I'm the opposite. I like Jorge but I really hope that Maia works him over and is finally given his shot at the belt.

I also still kind of hold it against Masvidal that he would just go on autopilot in so many fights instead of actually attacking and finishing like he is capable of doing.
He has floyd may weather mode....where he is light years ahead of the opponent and coasts on instinct and skill...except MMA is only 3 rounds and Judges don't know jack so it hurts Jorge sometimes in bad decisions

He has turned the corner now and realizes he needs finishes and he also bets large sums on himself to win so that must factor into him just taking the W...His paydays are increased immediately when he wins a decision....Al Laquinta fight was total BS and he probably barely broke even after losing the bet on himself....Yet on Cowboy Fight he probably made 3 figures on Bets alone

Maia is really amazing but if he can't find the mat, it can be a tough/quick night...Jorge owns the standing portion of every fight he is in.

LurkenLikaGherkin

First 100
First 100
Jan 16, 2015
Size diff has probably been underemphasized in coverage of this one. Maia should be (and looks to be, in the faceoff) significantly bigger than Jorge. That matters in this match-up, since wrestling is going to happen, barring an early flash KO.

Rambo John J

First 100
Jan 17, 2015
Size diff has probably been underemphasized in coverage of this one. Maia should be (and looks to be, in the faceoff) significantly bigger than Jorge. That matters in this match-up, since wrestling is going to happen, barring an early flash KO.
Jorge doesn't go down too easily...and he tends to let opponents taste his fast hands and change their mind quickly...pretty nasty in scrambles also.

I do think Size could be a problem if Maia gets on top or back...he just has so many tricks and so much skill in most ground positions.

LurkenLikaGherkin

First 100
First 100
Jan 16, 2015
Jorge doesn't go down too easily...and he tends to let opponents taste his fast hands and change their mind quickly...pretty nasty in scrambles also.

I do think Size could be a problem if Maia gets on top or back...he just has so many tricks and so much skill in most ground positions.
Si, this is what Jorge thinks it's going to be like. It's so tough to tell how the standing/ground grappling is going to go until you actually see two guys match-up live, because it's all about who is a step ahead. Like, would you have foreseen Maia smoking Gunnar as bad as he did? I didn't. The skill-sets seemed fairly offsetting. But Maia was that step ahead. And then being bigger/stronger makes any timing advantage bigger. If you're a trained grappler, I'm sure you have experienced this many times. It's hard to predict what one guy will be able to do against another, timing-wise, until you actually see them in real time.

Rambo John J

First 100
Jan 17, 2015
Si, this is what Jorge thinks it's going to be like. It's so tough to tell how the standing/ground grappling is going to go until you actually see two guys match-up live, because it's all about who is a step ahead. Like, would you have foreseen Maia smoking Gunnar as bad as he did? I didn't. The skill-sets seemed fairly offsetting. But Maia was that step ahead. And then being bigger/stronger makes any timing advantage bigger. If you're a trained grappler, I'm sure you have experienced this many times. It's hard to predict what one guy will be able to do against another, timing-wise, until you actually see them in real time.
Yep, we will know early how the distance and fight plays out....and I barely grapple...all my training has been striking