List the gyms youve trained at.....

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to Sign Up today.

La Paix

Fuck this place
First 100
Jan 14, 2015
And your opinion on them. I bet everyone has had some really good and bad experiences so lets hear them.

For myself it wasn't until 2003 that I finally have the balance of time and money to be able to join an actual MMA gym and try to make it a priority. Seeing as it was my first time I was really looking to find a place where they had people of all size and levels and I really wanted to feel like I was apart of a team once I got into it. Obviously the priory is training but I was hoping to be able to also find some people who followed combat sports as it seemed there were so few. I found a gym in Surrey BC called Suitella and they were at a good location for me with decent prices so I signed up. Not going to get into a long story but after about 8 weeks or so it just didn't feel like a good fit. There was no team feeling whatsoever, during warm up some guys would be participating while another small group would be lightly rolling/stretching in the ring and another few guys on the bike or treadmill or something. Once the warm up was complete the other guys would come and join the group for the lesson part and then off to rolling or sparring depending on the day. I was surprised how many guys seemed to get an attitude like I didn't belong there when Id get submitted or just gas out early on. TBH there was some serious douche bags there who had no intention of spreading any sort of knowledge to the guys they trained with. It seemed they'd rather just inflate their ego by tapping the green guy or if I could get a smaller guy in trouble he was quick to tell me if he was my size it would be different, very strange culture IMO. I think the guy who lead the BJJ class was named Len and I thought he was pretty good, maybe it was just because I had nothing to compare to to but he was pretty much the only reason I stayed for a while. Having said that some of the guys there would beak him once and a while for reasons I didn't know, maybe there was some sort of history. Regardless as a whole I was extremely underwhelmed and dropped the classes after 6 months or so as I decided to move to Kelowna.

The next gym I went to was Toshidos in Kelowna, what a difference. I don't know if it was due to it being in a smaller but the way things worked there was a night and day compared to Surrey. I found it to have a good group of guys who were more than willing to help out and everyone was on the same page when it was warm ups, drills, rolling or sparring. It had the feeling that the majority of the people there checked their ego at the door and showed some respect to all that came in and tried it out. Dave Lea is the head trainer there and at the time his striking coach was Vince Ross who would just crank AC/DC every session. This was probably in 2004 and guys like Rory Mcdonald, Gary Wright and Tim Jenson were kicking ass at KOTC and it was cool to go see them fight in Vernon, pretty sure that the Toshidos team was undefeated there at the time. I really cant say enough good things about that place and I really wish I stayed with it much much more than I have up to this point. Between working out of town all the time and having two kids it seemed like Id go for 4-6 months then stop, a year later do the same and repeat that cycle. As of late last year my work schedule has changed so I'm home much more and have started to make time to get back into it. Actually it was on the UG that I got inspired by Rick Storm. The thread was something like favorite moments and I posted Randy knocking Tim down in a gif. Rick posted that it was that moment which inspired him to get back into the gym which in turn inspired me to do the same, I sent him a pm letting him know. Just today I've contacted Dave again looking to book some private lessons for striking as my time at home doesn't line up too well. I've been trying to get back to a routine for the afternoon BJJ classes since late summer but fell off over the holidays so in a weeks time I'm going to get back at it.

ECC170

Monster's 11,ATM 2,Parlay Challenge,Hero GP Champ
Pro Fighter
Jan 23, 2015
Went out to miletich when i waz 20 not fun lol..ATT coconut creek few times when i was promoting kimbo vs tank...Gracie Barra in tampa..Rob Kahns a beast BJJ blackbelt and was first of 5 at time Americans to get his blackbelt under Royce..Buddy clinton was 1 of the original 5 also..

Γαλάνης

The Wallabee Champ
First 100
Jan 18, 2015
Unfortunately where I live there are no famous gyms within a 90 min drive, but I did take a seminar at Gabriel Gonzaga's gym Team Link. That one is about 30 mins from me or less, but I wouldn't call super well known outside of hardcore fans.

Gonzaga was the nicest guy I have met in the sport. The dude was just down to earth and friendly as hell. It was also the first time I'd met/been taught by a high level fighter (first time was 2008, about a year after he KO'd Mirko) so I was pretty nervous about it. I was 18 at the time and knew basically zero about grappling, but was learning a little at my cousin's gym while going there to train in boxing.

But he was a great dude, went into a lot of detail even for a newbie like me and made sure everyone got taught personally and got to learn directly from him. He focused on a couple judo throws, mainly ouchi gari, as well as transitions/passing from guard and side control. He was also the strongest human being I have ever met. Massive hands and his grip is unbelievable.

ECC, when you went to Miletich's, did they just throw you to the wolves in sparring pretty much right away? I have heard so many insane stories about the beatings given and taken in that gym. I know the culture is completely different and they were trying to weed out people I guess, but man sometimes the shit I've heard about is brutal.

Also, I'm so glad I never went to a gym like the one mentioned above (Suitella). BUT, I do feel like MMA back in 2003 and even some places now, things could be a lot different. I know there are a few boxing gyms around here that don't give a shit and are basically just going to let you go in and get wrecked immediately even if you are a complete beginner. It's fucked up IMO.. I'm just glad I never had to deal with it, but I never was training super serious like a fighter would or anything, so who am I to talk haha..

ECC170

Pro Fighter
Jan 23, 2015
I wont lie i,took some beatings sparring there...spencer,and jens liver shots SUCKED..i did solid grappling..yes its VERY intense watching jens and fisher spar was better than most fights ive seen...i held myown but i did indeed get no special treatment..jaggers, Actually lived out there forv2 months with jens helping him with his wrestling for the first faber fight...a lil known fact was jens in a BEAST at call of duty on pc lol my team which was Wolf Pack was a affiliate of miletich so they also came to muncie...afterr work ill tell yall bout a funny robbie story i got...and btw hughes was def top 3 strongest humans ive ever encountered. There was no test for the weak in that gym u get hurt shake it off and keep going...sitting out wasnt a option

Shy Guy

Clowns to the left of me, jokers to the right...
First 100
Jan 14, 2015
I haven't trained at any famous gyms. There are no big gyms in Pittsburgh at all. My regular gym is PTT MMA out of Pittsburgh which is an Erik Paulson CSW affiliate. I have trained out of Alliance Jiu Jitsu out of Minneapolis and some BJJ and Judo gyms around Pittsburgh.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

La Paix

Fuck this place
First 100
Jan 14, 2015
Anybody ever train at Gibsos MMA I Port Moody BC? Heard it was great years ago and a pretty tough atmosphere. I think Rampage went there to train for Machida.

La Paix

Fuck this place
First 100
Jan 14, 2015
​Galanis

That awesome about your experience with Gonzaga. I know you're a huge fan of Mirko and thought you'd try to poison Gabe for what he did

:chairshot:

:wall:

ECC170

Pro Fighter
Jan 23, 2015
BirdWatcher;n8099 said:
Anybody ever train at Gibsos MMA I Port Moody BC? Heard it was great years ago and a pretty tough atmosphere. I think Rampage went there to train for Machida.
I have a friend named Ryan Diaz who is on his team...if you havent seen Ryan Diaz vs Nam phan in kotc i HIGHLY advise you do..Ryan throws SICK elbow combos as is they wete his hands..VERY good fight..back n forth war...tovtop it off hes a unreal guy who helped me make weight and replenish myself during my worst cut...cut 31 pounds in 4 days...no excuse i neglected my body when i found out my mom was sick...but neways yes ive heard gibsons mma is wonderful

Γαλάνης

The Wallabee Champ
First 100
Jan 18, 2015
BirdWatcher;n8102 said:
​Galanis

That awesome about your experience with Gonzaga. I know you're a huge fan of Mirko and thought you'd try to poison Gabe for what he did
Haha I know, right? However, Gabe lives about 15 mins from me, and has long been involved in the local MMA community. Not just teaching at his school, but training fighters, going to events, etc. I used to be part of an ammy and pro MMA promotion in Massachusetts that my cousin owned. At one point, we were probably one of the largest in New England. Gabe was basically at every show we did since his fighters competed (and usually dominated) on our shows.

Like I said, there is not a nicer guy I've ever met in the sport. First time I met him he was coming off the loss to Randy and every person that kept coming up to him to shake his hand or get a pic kept talking about how amazing his KO of Mirko was. I wonder if that ever gets old?

I'm actually really bummed they are rematching. Fighter wise, Mirko ranks way above Gabe for me as far as an all time favorite. But I never, ever root against him, he is just like I said such a great fucking dude and has always had exciting fights. He's never even won a decision, every victory he has is by finish. IMO he had all the tools to be champ and if Randy didn't fluke headbutt him on the takedown, destroying his face, I think he would've ended up champion that night.

Pretty great to see how he came back after the UFC cut him and put together a really great streak, winning like 6 out of 8 fights for a while there. Was really bummed to see him get KO'd against Mitrione, who was extremely disrespectful to him.. talking shit, refusing the glove touch, then yelling at him while he was done and the fight was stopped. There is not a nicer guy in MMA and I doubt Gabe did a damn thing to antagonize Mitrione... For that I will never respect him. The way he stood over Gabe talking shit while he was KO'd was ridiculous. Fuck him. He will never beat an elite fighter or have a moment as important in MMA as Gabe did for KOing Mirko.

Γαλάνης

The Wallabee Champ
First 100
Jan 18, 2015
Also.. ECC, you got some real stories man. I'm gonna be doing articles for this site. Would you be down to do a short intreview? I'd love to get some of your war stories (in the ring and in training) up on here for people to read.. I think that would be dope.

Let me know what you think

ECC170

Pro Fighter
Jan 23, 2015
Sounds great brudda..got some funny stories too..

La Paix

Fuck this place
First 100
Jan 14, 2015
Galanis;n8449 said:
Haha I know, right? However, Gabe lives about 15 mins from me, and has long been involved in the local MMA community. Not just teaching at his school, but training fighters, going to events, etc. I used to be part of an ammy and pro MMA promotion in Massachusetts that my cousin owned. At one point, we were probably one of the largest in New England. Gabe was basically at every show we did since his fighters competed (and usually dominated) on our shows.

Like I said, there is not a nicer guy I've ever met in the sport. First time I met him he was coming off the loss to Randy and every person that kept coming up to him to shake his hand or get a pic kept talking about how amazing his KO of Mirko was. I wonder if that ever gets old?

I'm actually really bummed they are rematching. Fighter wise, Mirko ranks way above Gabe for me as far as an all time favorite. But I never, ever root against him, he is just like I said such a great fucking dude and has always had exciting fights. He's never even won a decision, every victory he has is by finish. IMO he had all the tools to be champ and if Randy didn't fluke headbutt him on the takedown, destroying his face, I think he would've ended up champion that night.

Pretty great to see how he came back after the UFC cut him and put together a really great streak, winning like 6 out of 8 fights for a while there. Was really bummed to see him get KO'd against Mitrione, who was extremely disrespectful to him.. talking shit, refusing the glove touch, then yelling at him while he was done and the fight was stopped. There is not a nicer guy in MMA and I doubt Gabe did a damn thing to antagonize Mitrione... For that I will never respect him. The way he stood over Gabe talking shit while he was KO'd was ridiculous. Fuck him. He will never beat an elite fighter or have a moment as important in MMA as Gabe did for KOing Mirko.

Very cool to hear Gabe is so involved. As far as his match with Randy there is no way that head butt was I mistake or fluke. Randy is as crafty as it gets and I bet its just an old trick that he was hoping would work out as good as it did. Check the gif, seeing him drive his shoulders and up down super hard in order to finish the slam with no intentions of adjusting his head. Good move tbh.

ECC170

Pro Fighter
Jan 23, 2015
Yes thats a classic technique ol wrestlers like..when taught to wrestle ur head is like a third arm..you can do a lot of controlling position with your head..also when when dumping ppl like randy you can position you shoulder to land in ones eye socket with all that Weight coming down in that concentrated surface are a you can cut somebody bad doing that.. Love me a good slam...one of most exciting things about our sport..Vulgar display of power

La Paix

Fuck this place
First 100
Jan 14, 2015
ECC170;n8466 said:
Yes thats a classic technique ol wtestlers like..when taught to wtestle ur head is like a third arm..you can do a lot of comtrolling positionwith your head..also when when dumping ppl like randy you and position you shoulder to land in ones eye sockets with all that . Weight coming down in that concentrated surface are you can cut somebody bad doing that.. Love me a good slam...one of most exciting things about our sport..Vulgar display of power

Agreed. Expect a thread titled "Slams (gifs/pics)" very soon.

ECC170

Pro Fighter
Jan 23, 2015
Awsome..wish i had every fight vid Ive been in..GUARANTEE ateast 50 slams...enough boasting..gerald harris has had some great ones...theres another good candidate to get on here..