VID LIVE NOW: JRE MMA Show Ep. 12 w/ Ben Askren

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to Sign Up today.

Silverball

Feb 24, 2015
• The podcast starts with Askren attempting to explain what happened when he left Bellator and failed to reach an agreement with the UFC. Ben mentions that one of the contracts he was offered required him to take a fight in the WSOF, but that he would be still be under contract and compensated by the UFC. Sounds similar (sort of) to the deal that the UFC had with Cyborg when she was the Invicta champ.

• Ben claims the deal disappeared after he called Dana out on his claims that there was no program capable of effectively testing all UFC fighters for PEDs. Askren's response at the time was that USADA was capable of doing the job, which turned out to be somewhat prophetic. Ben tried to describe his relationship with Dana, the nature of which was the main obstacle keeping him from competing in the UFC, but Joe interrupts by proclaiming that he likes Dana and that the Dana he knows is a cool guy.

• Ben tries to discuss last weekend's Bellator card, in particular, the Lima vs Rory fight, but it becomes apparent that Joe hasn't seen any of the fights. So instead, Joe tries to bring Askren's various points back to what happened in the Stipe vs Ngannou fight, or some other recent UFC event. As distracting as that might seem, Ben was still able to make a lot of good points about training, grappling, and weight cutting.

• The podcast veers away from MMA pretty immediately, and delves into the usual JRE fair, like the moon landing (fake or real?), 9/11, Sandy Hook, Operation Northwoods, "Icarus", and Dunbar's Number, then circles back to wrestling and MMA at the end.

Overall it was an entertaining podcast.

Last edited:

ejlarson

I like chicken
Jul 4, 2015
• The podcast starts with Askren attempting to explain what happened when he left Bellator and failed to reach an agreement with the UFC. Ben mentions that one of the contracts he was offered required him to take a fight in the WSOF, but that he would be still be under contract and compensated by the UFC. Sounds similar (sort of) to the deal that the UFC had with Cyborg when she was the Invicta champ.

• Ben claims the deal disappeared after he called Dana out on his claims that there was no program capable of effectively testing all UFC fighters for PEDs. Askren's response at the time was that USADA was capable of doing the job, which turned out to be somewhat prophetic. Ben tried to describe his relationship with Dana, the nature of which was the main obstacle keeping him from competing in the UFC, but Joe interrupts by proclaiming that he likes Dana and that the Dana he knows is a cool guy.

• Ben tries to discuss last weekend's Bellator card, in particular, the Lima vs Rory fight, but it becomes apparent that Joe hasn't seen any of the fights. So instead, Joe tries to bring Askren's various points back to what happened in the Stipe vs Ngannou fight, or some other recent UFC event. As distracting as that might seem, Ben was still able to make a lot of good points about training, grappling, and weight cutting.

• The podcast veers away from MMA pretty immediately, and delves into the usual JRE fair, like the moon landing (fake or real?), 9/11, Sandy Hook, Operation Northwoods, "Icarus", and Dunbar's Number, then circles back to wrestling and MMA at the end.

Overall it was an entertaining podcast.

Did he talk about being disappointed about not getting in the UFC because he repeatedly attacked his potential new employer verbally and on social media? Over and over and over again?

Onetrickpony

Stay gold
Nov 21, 2016
Did he talk about being disappointed about not getting in the UFC because he repeatedly attacked his potential new employer verbally and on social media? Over and over and over again?
From what he said that was after they fucked him over.

Wild

Zi Nazi
Admin
Dec 31, 2014
Ben was great. Entire thing flowed for 2 hours and was super entertaining.

My back & forth...

Ben: I dont take any supplements. None, zero. Not even protein. Because I became this anti-PED crusader, I wouldn't take anything because if these idiots taint it, I look like an asshole.

Joe: Did you make sure you were eating the right amount of vegetables, leafy greens and getting the proper nutrients?

Ben: Nah, I just ate some food and went and scrapped.

:tearsofjoy:

Silverball

Feb 24, 2015
Ben Askren Discusses VADA and Dana White's Stance on Expanded Drug Testing
By Mike Chiappetta
Aug 31, 2012

Earlier this summer, the Bellator welterweight champion was actually the first mixed martial artist to sign up with the Voluntary Anti-Doping Association, an independent organization aimed at combating performance-enhancing drugs in combat sports.

Askren did so in the wake of a public back-and-forth with UFC president Dana White. At the time, White had suggested that the prospect of randomly drug-testing his fighters was impossible, a notion that Askren dismissed, calling it, "a bold-faced lie."

The statement got the attention of VADA, which invited him to join their program.

"I don't like all the cheating that's going in mixed martial arts," Askren told MMA Fighting. "I don't know what percentage of high-level fighters do it but I think it would be a significant amount. And if there's anything I can do to help that number go down, then I'm going to try to do it because it's not fair that I'm fighting clean and I don't know what my opponents have in their system."

Askren -- a former freestyle wrestling Olympian -- noted that the U.S. Anti-Doping Agency is charged with testing all of the nation's Olympians; during the recent Summer Games alone, that amounted to 531, a number far larger than Zuffa's roster of approximately 375.

At the time, White responded to Askren's tweet with an insult.

View: https://twitter.com/danawhite/status/191913305932181505

"Dana insulted me because he couldn't deny the facts of the situation," he said. "That's what happened. It would be very simple for him to put a testing program in place that would keep his guys in some kind of check."

Read More: MMA Fighting

Wild

Zi Nazi
Admin
Dec 31, 2014
Ben Askren Discusses VADA and Dana White's Stance on Expanded Drug Testing
By Mike Chiappetta
Aug 31, 2012

Earlier this summer, the Bellator welterweight champion was actually the first mixed martial artist to sign up with the Voluntary Anti-Doping Association, an independent organization aimed at combating performance-enhancing drugs in combat sports.

Askren did so in the wake of a public back-and-forth with UFC president Dana White. At the time, White had suggested that the prospect of randomly drug-testing his fighters was impossible, a notion that Askren dismissed, calling it, "a bold-faced lie."

The statement got the attention of VADA, which invited him to join their program.

"I don't like all the cheating that's going in mixed martial arts," Askren told MMA Fighting. "I don't know what percentage of high-level fighters do it but I think it would be a significant amount. And if there's anything I can do to help that number go down, then I'm going to try to do it because it's not fair that I'm fighting clean and I don't know what my opponents have in their system."

Askren -- a former freestyle wrestling Olympian -- noted that the U.S. Anti-Doping Agency is charged with testing all of the nation's Olympians; during the recent Summer Games alone, that amounted to 531, a number far larger than Zuffa's roster of approximately 375.

At the time, White responded to Askren's tweet with an insult.

View: https://twitter.com/danawhite/status/191913305932181505

"Dana insulted me because he couldn't deny the facts of the situation," he said. "That's what happened. It would be very simple for him to put a testing program in place that would keep his guys in some kind of check."

Read More: MMA Fighting
Ben was right.

MovinOn

Canis lupus familiaris
Jan 3, 2018
Ben's now retired at 33. Anyone think there's any hope in hell that he gets a call from the UFC over the next year or two despite the bad blood? Remember, Dana and Tito feuded publicly but Tito still fought in the UFC. Dana found a way to co-exist. But, in reality, Tito had a bigger following than Askren. If Ben isn't going to put enough butts in the seats, there's really no major payoff for the UFC. Like most hardcore fans, I'd love to see Askren vs. GSP, but if the UFC can make GSP vs. Conor instead, it's a no-brainer which one is going to be signed and promoted.

tang

top korean roofer
Oct 21, 2015
Ben seems like a pretty smart dude. I just love how he didn't tuck tail against Dana just to be signed with the UFC. Even if he never fought in the UFC, I (and most hardcores) have a pretty good idea how he'd have done, probably be around top 3 ww all time.

He's also like that guy around the neighborhood who you might not know personally but you've heard of him many times cuz his mom always brags to your mom about how her son is a state champ wrestler.