General LMAO@Djokovic

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to Sign Up today.

John Lee Pettimore

Further south than you
May 18, 2021
Eh Bud, were you just on the phone or there, eh?
Oh the phone, obviously. I have no interest in kicking down doors or running into burning buildings. :smile:

It's a very real thing that if you get into a head on collision and you're not wearing a seatbelt, you're a good chance to end up in the front seat of the other car. If anyone's occupying that seat, you'll kill them.

??

Filthy

Iowa Wrestling Champion
Jun 28, 2016
Ever dealt with the aftermath of a head-on collision where one of the people involved wasn't wearing a seatbelt?

Know what happens to people who aren't strapped to their seat?

??
yes.

yes.

i'm sorry you don't understand that the mandate is more about revenue than it is about safety.

John Lee Pettimore

Further south than you
May 18, 2021
yes.

yes.

i'm sorry you don't understand that the mandate is more about revenue than it is about safety.
It is a real source of revenue, sure.

The reason why seatbelts are mandated for all occupants of all vehicles is not to raise money for the state. It's a matter of public safety. No seatbelts, and only one thing happens to the road toll of deaths and injuries. Same reason we have punishments for excessive speed and for drink driving, and for driving a vehicle that has not been recently addressed and cleared as roadworthy. A seatbelt ticket is a fine because what's the alternative? Loss of license? Impound the vehicle? Time in custody, or doing community service?

Personally, I think that speeding and parking tickets and fines should be tied to income. But that's neither here nor there.

??

BeardOfKnowledge

The Most Consistent Motherfucker You Know
Jul 22, 2015
yes.

yes.

They're going through the process of spamming photo radar speed traps in school zones here. We need to keep the kids safe you know. Number of kids hit by cars in school zones in as long as anyone can remember? Zero. Do the cameras shut off when school's are closed? No, of course they don't you big silly.

Filthy

Iowa Wrestling Champion
Jun 28, 2016
It is a real source of revenue, sure.

The reason why seatbelts are mandated for all occupants of all vehicles is not to raise money for the state. It's a matter of public safety. No seatbelts, and only one thing happens to the road toll of deaths and injuries. Same reason we have punishments for excessive speed and for drink driving, and for driving a vehicle that has not been recently addressed and cleared as roadworthy. A seatbelt ticket is a fine because what's the alternative? Loss of license? Impound the vehicle? Time in custody, or doing community service?

Personally, I think that speeding and parking tickets and fines should be tied to income. But that's neither here nor there.

??
you've confused the justification for the reason.

Filthy

Iowa Wrestling Champion
Jun 28, 2016
They're going through the process of spamming photo radar speed traps in school zones here. We need to keep the kids safe you know. Number of kids hit by cars in school zones in as long as anyone can remember? Zero. Do the cameras shut off when school's are closed? No, of course they don't you big silly.
they also shorten yellow-light times in photo intersections.

photo intersections lead to an increase in collisions.

Last edited:

John Lee Pettimore

Further south than you
May 18, 2021
you've confused the justification for the reason.
Well, that's a bit nebulous really isn't it. I mean, we could argue much the same about drunk driving or speeding.

There's an interesting view that bike helmets make cyclists less safe, which appears counterproductive but I remember years ago hearing a pretty convincing argument about it.

??

Filthy

Iowa Wrestling Champion
Jun 28, 2016
Well, that's a bit nebulous really isn't it. I mean, we could argue much the same about drunk driving or speeding.

There's an interesting view that bike helmets make cyclists less safe, which appears counterproductive but I remember years ago hearing a pretty convincing argument about it.

??
data supports it.

John Lee Pettimore

Further south than you
May 18, 2021
John Lee Pettimore @John Lee Pettimore

excess speed or drunk driving increase the risk to others, seatbelts do not.
But that's not true, is it. People who aren't wearing seatbelts oftentimes become missiles in serious crashes. If one person in the car is not wearing a seatbelt and the car gets into a serious crash, everyone else in the car is at higher risk of death or serious injury by having that person randomly catapulted around the interior of the vehicle.

??

BeardOfKnowledge

The Most Consistent Motherfucker You Know
Jul 22, 2015
John Lee Pettimore @John Lee Pettimore

excess speed or drunk driving increase the risk to others, seatbelts do not.
I'm not entirely sure speed does. I always thought that to be the case, but when I was discussing it with someone they pointed out that Germany has a lower road fatality rate than North America even though they have the autobahn. I'm not completely dismissing it, as obviously an inexperienced driver at a high rate of speed, or a high rate of speed in an area with careless pedestrians is going to be an issue, I'm just observing that there are a lot of moving parts to the term "excess speed" If memory serves most high speed accidents usually involve intoxication.