Loaded Carries/Farmers Walks?

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to Sign Up today.

Combo

Jan 22, 2017
Two questions..

1) When it comes to frequency, what is the recommended amount in a week? Three times, tops?

2) I use them as "finishers" when I train arms, back & when I do a conditioning circuit. Any of the more knowledgeable posters on here got any reasons why I should do them on different days (leg day etc)?

Thanks.

Pitbull9

Daddy
Jan 28, 2015
Nice! What's your routine with them then?
I will sometimes superset the farmers walk with a sled run with maybe 1-2 45lb plates. Then I will use this log we have there and start to squat from one side to the other. For endurance I will do a lot of sets in a row and then rest for maybe 1-2 minutes and hit it again. My goal is just to be athletic, mobile, increase my stamina, and work on my cardiovascular health things like that. I don't do too much because my main goal is bodybuilding so most of the time that is how I train.

Combo

Jan 22, 2017
I will sometimes superset the farmers walk with a sled run with maybe 1-2 45lb plates. Then I will use this log we have there and start to squat from one side to the other. For endurance I will do a lot of sets in a row and then rest for maybe 1-2 minutes and hit it again. My goal is just to be athletic, mobile, increase my stamina, and work on my cardiovascular health things like that. I don't do too much because my main goal is bodybuilding so most of the time that is how I train.
Cool. I'm in the same boat as you.

I do strictly bodybuilding 4-5 times a week and then (today, actually, and every Saturday) I do a 'Conditioning" workout (I used to do TONS of Met-Con stuff before switching to BB workouts, but I miss the physical conditioning and the mental toughness that these workouts can give me) just to keep me fit and also to keep that feeling (physical/mental) still fresh.

Cycling Sprints, Rowing Intervals, Dead-Lifts, Lifting and then Farmers Walks or static holds for time to really boost that grip endurance.

Wish my gym had a sled (or a prowler)! They look awesome.

But yeah, FW's are brilliant for conditioning (IMO) even when done with a light weight but for time.

Pitbull9

Daddy
Jan 28, 2015
Cool. I'm in the same boat as you.

I do strictly bodybuilding 4-5 times a week and then (today, actually, and every Saturday) I do a 'Conditioning" workout (I used to do TONS of Met-Con stuff before switching to BB workouts, but I miss the physical conditioning and the mental toughness that these workouts can give me) just to keep me fit and also to keep that feeling (physical/mental) still fresh.

Cycling Sprints, Rowing Intervals, Dead-Lifts, Lifting and then Farmers Walks or static holds for time to really boost that grip endurance.

Wish my gym had a sled (or a prowler)! They look awesome.

But yeah, FW's are brilliant for conditioning (IMO) even when done with a light weight but for time.
Yup for sure. Have you done a bodybuilding show? If not are you interested in doing one?

Combo

Jan 22, 2017
Yup for sure. Have you done a bodybuilding show? If not are you interested in doing one?
Ha! I'm a ways off ever doing a show, my routine needed changing as I was getting injured too much and was burnt out.

The volume of Met-Con training really ruined me. So, no, I'm nowhere NEAR a BB show level. Just needed a change of pace & volume.

Have you ever done a show?

Pitbull9

Daddy
Jan 28, 2015
Ha! I'm a ways off ever doing a show, my routine needed changing as I was getting injured too much and was burnt out.

The volume of Met-Con training really ruined me. So, no, I'm nowhere NEAR a BB show level. Just needed a change of pace & volume.

Have you ever done a show?
Yeah. Here is my most recent pics from my show last April. I have another show in June where I plan to be much better.