Longo: Weidman will go as one of the all-time greats

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to Sign Up today.

Bluesville

First 100
First 100
Jan 17, 2015
Possibly. I think he's just as likely to be one of the sports biggest "what if's" because of his injuries.

Wild

Zi Nazi
Admin
Dec 31, 2014
I don't really understand why he's not promoted more by the UFC, and more popular with brands like Longo mentioned (Wheaties for example). He is the "All-American" type and could be a huge star if promoted properly (and he promotes himself properly as well).

dacofty

Yea..Ok..Whatever
First 100
Jan 15, 2015
Because I dont think he really marches to their drum, I mean he is the champion but doesn't seem like on that will go along with their corruption. I think he put a wrench into their glorious Silva legacy with the back to back wins. Either way he will be a great one if he stays health.

jason73

Yuri Bezmenov was right
First 100
Jan 15, 2015
im not sure if he will go down as one of the greatest of all time.he will go down as the guy who beat the best twice no doubt but he has to defend the belt a few more times before this is even considered.

SickEye

"Sim sala bim bamba sala do saladim"
First 100
Jan 15, 2015
Him and Cain with those damn injuries...

It's hard to tell with Weidman right now how he will go down in history. His wins over Silva and Machida are a damn good start.

ThatOneDude

Commander in @Chief, Dick Army
First 100
Jan 14, 2015
SickEye;n16118 said:

It's hard to tell with Weidman right now how he will go down in history. His wins over Silva and Machida are a damn good start.
Yea I agree. I really hope he doesn't go the Cain route of constantly injured, then we will never know just how good he really is.

Wild

Zi Nazi
Admin
Dec 31, 2014
If Weidman could fight 2-3 times a year for the next 5 years, he very well could be one of the greats, because I don't see anyone beating him at 185. Dude needs to remain healthy though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jan 20, 2015
SickEye;n16118 said:

This.. To many injuries = wasted prime years. he also atleast needs like 8-9 or 10 title defenses but his not getting any younger and add that with all his injuries..

Tiiimmmaaayyy

First 100 ish
Jan 19, 2015
He is a great fighter, but I'm not very quick let people into the All Time Greats discussion. I think he has a lot left to prove. I haven't started drinking his KoolAid yet. One of these days I will have to get on board because he keeps proving me wrong and winning. I knew he wouldn't get passed Munoz, Silva, and Machida. Shows what I know. The injuries do seem to be problematic for him. I heard a couple of times on JRE that his knees are terribly fucked up. He can't touch his feet to his ass or something like that. For a young guy with 12 fights he seems to have a lot of wear and tear. I hope that he is able to stay healthy so we really get to see if he's able to get on that list. I think there are still some good fights for him. Rockhold, Jacare, maybe even Gastelum after he moves up.

Wild

Zi Nazi
Admin
Dec 31, 2014
^^^ He has had some shoulder and elbow problems in the past as well. Years and years on the wrestling mat. I hope that he can train intelligently and get thru 7-8 title defenses, because I don't see anyone beating him. Too big, long reach, fights at great range, and good wrestling & BJJ. Animal.

Jan 20, 2015
I Wild Each It;n16219 said:
How old is Chris? Like 32 or 33?
His 30 and turns 31 on june 17th this year. He needs to start fighting 3 times a year if he wants to give himself a chance at the GOAT discussion. wasting prime years is A crime in itself.

Georges left the sport 32 years old and Fedor should have left at the same time but left 35 and took 3 unnecessary losses and 3 wins. but at the age of 33 fedor was undefeated for 10 years.

I think Jones has 4 and half prime years left in him.. Anderson was out of his prime since the vitor fight but survived on fighting weak comepetition since he ran into weidman.

Jan 18, 2015
I re-watched both his fights against Silva, and he was pretty awesome. I wanted to re-watch the Machida fight but couldn't find it. Will search harder later.
I think he will be up for GOAT discussion, but he is not be as flashy and some say he is not as well promoted by the UFC.
He's got many fights to go, which will be exciting, esp Vitor.

Wild

Zi Nazi
Admin
Dec 31, 2014
Pitbulltodd;n17111 said:
too soon to tell
Hey welcome to the site brother. Check out the Site Feedback and Help forum...tons of threads there that should help you navigate the place. Free apps are Tapatalk and ForumRunner for IPhone and Android. PM me or any Mod/Admin if you need anything.