Look at my wood (woodworking) part deux

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to Sign Up today.

Simpleman

First 100
First 100
Jan 15, 2015
Rate my Wood Simpleman @Simpleman, I'm tearing down an old house -- is it worth salvaging the 100year old wood?

Thats great stuff! You could build floors, counter tops, tables, mantles.... its getting harder to find wood like that. Especially: dry, no rot, relatively straight and little knots. Do not throw that out. You could also go on woodworking sites (even reddit) to sell it.

Simpleman

First 100
First 100
Jan 15, 2015
Theres also a guy on here (in this thread and I forget his name) who owns a lumber yard. He could even point you in a better direction. And IF you want to make a few pieces look older: soak steel wool in vinegar overnight and brush it on after...instant aging.

Enock-O-Lypse Now!

Underneath Denver International Airport
Jun 19, 2016
Simpleman @Simpleman

Awesome! Thanks for the input Simpleman, I’m pretty clueless when it comes to wood so it’s nice to get some insight from an expert like you.

Appreciate the post!

Rambo John J

Eats things that would make a Billy Goat Puke
First 100
Jan 17, 2015
thanks for the knowledge
Thats great stuff! You could build floors, counter tops, tables, mantles.... its getting harder to find wood like that. Especially: dry, no rot, relatively straight and little knots. Do not throw that out. You could also go on woodworking sites (even reddit) to sell it.

SuperPig

Enjoy yourselves
Aug 7, 2015
Theres also a guy on here (in this thread and I forget his name) who owns a lumber yard. He could even point you in a better direction. And IF you want to make a few pieces look older: soak steel wool in vinegar overnight and brush it on after...instant aging.
That would be L @Cunt

Simpleman

First 100
First 100
Jan 15, 2015

Ever seen a screw like this, on right? Rebuilding that table is abit harder than I thought.

Simpleman

First 100
First 100
Jan 15, 2015
Still a ways to go but making some gains. Had to get a photo coph of the board from kinkos. It will have a lot of poly on the top to protect it. Stripped and stained. Just need to assemble and add a few more “pieces”

Simpleman

First 100
First 100
Jan 15, 2015
Still a ways to go but making some gains. Had to get a photo coph of the board from kinkos. It will have a lot of poly on the top to protect it. Stripped and stained. Just need to assemble and add a few more “pieces”
Fyi kinkos considers this copyrighted material and wont help. Its 4 sheets of 11x17 paper that had to be cut to fit. Spray adhesive is unforgiving too.

SuperPig

Enjoy yourselves
Aug 7, 2015
Fyi kinkos considers this copyrighted material and wont help. Its 4 sheets of 11x17 paper that had to be cut to fit. Spray adhesive is unforgiving too.
I was just about to ask how annoying it was for you to get that printed considering they're not allowed by policy to print anything that isn't fully owned by you.

Limpy

Banned
Oct 20, 2015
Quite often I’ll order in new woods from all over the world and whenever I have time I’ll work with it to see how it machines, cross cuts, sands, finishes, etc to help with selling the item. Last week I brought in brownheart and Granadillo. I decided to plane some of it, cut it and glue it together then sand it to 800 grit. I’m pretty happy with the results. Both are hard as hell but they finish really great.

SuperPig

Enjoy yourselves
Aug 7, 2015
Quite often I’ll order in new woods from all over the world and whenever I have time I’ll work with it to see how it machines, cross cuts, sands, finishes, etc to help with selling the item. Last week I brought in brownheart and Granadillo. I decided to plane some of it, cut it and glue it together then sand it to 800 grit. I’m pretty happy with the results. Both are hard as hell but they finish really great.

Planer or jointer, which should I buy first?

Limpy

Banned
Oct 20, 2015
Planer or jointer, which should I buy first?
Planer for sure. A jointer is great but we hardly use the one we have. If you really get into wood working you can save what your planer costs in a matter of years by buying rough stock wood rather than finished dressed boards. To give you an idea, I sell 1x6 maple for $5.99 per foot so an 8 foot board costs $48 plus tax. I sell rough maple boards for $4.99 per board foot (kinda like square foot). A six inch board, eight feet long would be four board feet and would cost $20 plus tax. It’s less than half the cost.

Depending who you talk to you could argue that a jointer should be used before planing a board anyways. To me, planers are a necessity for what we do and a jointer is not. Jointers flatten boards and straighten edges. I own a great table saw and a Festool tracksaw which IMO makes a jointer almost pointless. Not everyone can afford that and I sell those items so I got promotional discounts. I could never afford to buy 90% of what we have.

Now I’m blabbering.

I’d recommend a planer. Simpleman @Simpleman what’s your opinion?

SuperPig

Enjoy yourselves
Aug 7, 2015
Planer for sure. A jointer is great but we hardly use the one we have. If you really get into wood working you can save what your planer costs in a matter of years by buying rough stock wood rather than finished dressed boards. To give you an idea, I sell 1x6 maple for $5.99 per foot so an 8 foot board costs $48 plus tax. I sell rough maple boards for $4.99 per board foot (kinda like square foot). A six inch board, eight feet long would be four board feet and would cost $20 plus tax. It’s less than half the cost.

Depending who you talk to you could argue that a jointer should be used before planing a board anyways. To me, planers are a necessity for what we do and a jointer is not. Jointers flatten boards and straighten edges. I own a great table saw and a Festool tracksaw which IMO makes a jointer almost pointless. Not everyone can afford that and I sell those items so I got promotional discounts. I could never afford to buy 90% of what we have.

Now I’m blabbering.

I’d recommend a planer. Simpleman @Simpleman what’s your opinion?
The reason i ask is because there's no way I'm paying for a planer big enough to handle the slabs that I'll need to plane so I'll still have to use a jig and a router to smooth out a lot of the things we're milling.

But damnit if it wouldn't be great for the day to day (errrr weekend to weekend) needs.

Limpy

Banned
Oct 20, 2015
The reason i ask is because there's no way I'm paying for a planer big enough to handle the slabs that I'll need to plane so I'll still have to use a jig and a router to smooth out a lot of the things we're milling.

But damnit if it wouldn't be great for the day to day (errrr weekend to weekend) needs.
Ya for sure. What are you planning on building?

SuperPig

Enjoy yourselves
Aug 7, 2015
Ya for sure. What are you planning on building?
Who knows? Tables, desks, whatever seems fun at the time based on the wood that we have ready.

Definitely just a hobby for me but one that can be silly expensive as you know.

My buddy is slowly but surely trying to start a little side business with it and I'm helping with labor and a little initial funding. This way it doesn't cripple either of our pockets and I don't have to deal with all of the headache. Basically I'm just getting to play with cool toys that I buy and then leave.

Limpy

Banned
Oct 20, 2015
Who knows? Tables, desks, whatever seems fun at the time based on the wood that we have ready.

Definitely just a hobby for me but one that can be silly expensive as you know.

My buddy is slowly but surely trying to start a little side business with it and I'm helping with labor and a little initial funding. This way it doesn't cripple either of our pockets and I don't have to deal with all of the headache. Basically I'm just getting to play with cool toys that I buy and then leave.
That’s awesome. Woodworking is one of the coolest things to do. You’ll fuck up terribly at something but it can always be corrected.

Mess with epoxy and wood sometime. It fun as hell and it’s endless what you can do with it.

I’m sure you’re aware of it and how it helps fill voids in tables, river tables, etc.

I recommend Ecopoxy. Best product I’ve found and they have a lot of dyes, metal flakes, and glow in the dark epoxy.

Not sure where you can find it in your area.

Grateful Dude

TMMAC Addict
May 30, 2016
L @A cat

I have a question regarding danish oil:

So, I've been jerking off consistently with danish oil for the past couple weeks. I was going for that "natural, hand-rubbed" look. The can says "guaranteed not to peel or crack", but I've been shedding a lot of skin lately since I started doing this. I didn't do any sanding between coats, but I did go through quite a few pads of 0000 steel wool at first.

Any idea what I'm doing wrong?

:D

(I have an actual serious post to make, hang on a sec I got side tracked with this lol)

SuperPig

Enjoy yourselves
Aug 7, 2015
That’s awesome. Woodworking is one of the coolest things to do. You’ll fuck up terribly at something but it can always be corrected.

Mess with epoxy and wood sometime. It fun as hell and it’s endless what you can do with it.

I’m sure you’re aware of it and how it helps fill voids in tables, river tables, etc.

I recommend Ecopoxy. Best product I’ve found and they have a lot of dyes, metal flakes, and glow in the dark epoxy.

Not sure where you can find it in your area.
That's mainly going to be what I'm doing because I love working with fiberglass and epoxy in general so we're milling slabs, curing, and then we're going to fuck some things up and hope that I can at least salvage it with epoxy haha .

Limpy

Banned
Oct 20, 2015

This is a walnut Island top we did. We had to make the moulding for the front and try not to burn it when we routered it.

Turned out good. We oiled the top and took it to be sprayed with lacquer then delivered to the customer. This is just after it was wiped down after oiling.

I should take pictures of all of the raw wood we have in the store. There’s some really weird shit we’ve collected. There’s about 150 live edge slabs as well.

My job is actually to sell doors and mouldings, that pays the bills and being a wood nerd keeps me interested. Selling doors is fucking boring.