Look at my wood (woodworking) part deux

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to Sign Up today.

Hauler

Been fallin so long it's like gravitys gone
Feb 3, 2016
Made a cedar door for the screened in porch. About to stain it.

Just in case a female happens to drive up Hauler Mountain, I'm working with my shirt off. I wouldn't want her to miss out on the full "Notebook" moment.

20210619_170054.jpg

ThatOneDude

Commander in @Chief, Dick Army
First 100
Jan 14, 2015

Just in case a female happens to drive up Hauler Mountain, I'm working with my shirt off. I wouldn't want her to miss out on the full "Notebook" moment.

View attachment 39160
What'd that run you, like $60 at Tractor Supply?

Hauler

Feb 3, 2016
What'd that run you, like $60 at Tractor Supply?
Haha.
Free.

I have a customer that insists on 8x10x8' solid cedar mantles. So I buy 10x10 as they are more readily available. The off-fall nets me a 2x10x8' which is what I built this from.

ShatsBassoon

Throwing bombs & banging moms
First 100
Jan 14, 2015
So we're clear, the door looks absolutely great, wouldn't be my choice of stain but each to their own.

Hauler

Feb 3, 2016
So we're clear, the door looks absolutely great, wouldn't be my choice of stain but each to their own.
Yeah. The stain ended up way darker than I wanted. Fuck it. I'll do a new one in 2 or 3 years.

ShatsBassoon

Throwing bombs & banging moms
First 100
Jan 14, 2015
All cedar. Ripped from 2 different boards. Alternated dark and light on the bottom panel because I got bored.
Cedar is usually great at taking stain consistently throughout. Not often you get the nice flame look between grains that take more stain than the other, which pine/spruce is notorious for.

Good call on alternating boards, great look and contrast

Hauler

Feb 3, 2016
Cedar is usually great at taking stain consistently throughout. Not often you get the nice flame look between grains that take more stain than the other, which pine/spruce is notorious for.

Good call on alternating boards, great look and contrast
Thanks.
It looks better now. Pic was taken when it was still wet/blotchy. But I do still wish I'd gone lighter on the color. The rest of the porch is painted though - so the door will stand out for sure. Will post a pic when I get it hung.

Hauler

Feb 3, 2016

View attachment 39160
Forgot to post the installed pic.
20211018_182859.jpg

Next up. Re-doing this shitty deck.

Hauler

Feb 3, 2016
You gonna use Ipe
HELL.
NO.

I actually have the opportunity to buy a bunch of that material for about $0.20 on the dollar but I'm not going to do it. Stuff is a pain in the ass to work with - plus you still have to maintain it. I'm going composite.

The wife wants a mini-shed to hide the garbage cans. I might make that out of Ipe. Maybe.

Rambo John J

Eats things that would make a Billy Goat Puke
First 100
Jan 17, 2015
HELL.
NO.

I actually have the opportunity to buy a bunch of that material for about $0.20 on the dollar but I'm not going to do it. Stuff is a pain in the ass to work with - plus you still have to maintain it. I'm going composite.

The wife wants a mini-shed to hide the garbage cans. I might make that out of Ipe. Maybe.
$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

M

member 1013

HELL.
NO.

I honestly have never had a problem working with Ipe.

i hate composite decking

Hauler

Feb 3, 2016

i hate composite decking
It's just so damn hard. Rough on tools. Can't drive a nail through it so everything has to either be grooved (hidden fastener - deckboards) or pre-drilled.

It is a pretty wood though.

Shit is so dense it sinks. LMAO.

M

member 1013

It's just so damn hard. Rough on tools. Can't drive a nail through it so everything has to either be grooved (hidden fastener - deckboards) or pre-drilled.

It is a pretty wood though.

Shit is so dense it sinks. LMAO.
It has the same fire rating as steel.

none of those things bother me. I guess I’m weird.

Hauler

Feb 3, 2016

i hate composite decking
I don't love composite - but it's come a long way in the last 10 years or so.

Refinishing a deck every other year is no-bueno. I'm done with that shit.