Look at my wood (woodworking) part deux

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to Sign Up today.

Simpleman

First 100
First 100
Jan 15, 2015
You sell any of this Simpleman @Simpleman
Would you make a custom job?
I have never done one so probably depends on the project and time frame. Honestly I just tinker with things that amuse me or want to see if I can do. What is your idea? Sorry for late response I dont log in for weeks at a time sometimes. Got a few projects right now. Table can only be touched every 24 hours. Acrylic is being done 12-36 oz at a time. Painfully slow. Planer sometime this week.
892F6D62-9881-411F-8BE1-39CAFB72D17C.png

Simpleman

First 100
First 100
Jan 15, 2015
@Lars Soros I have always wanted to take some classes at Woodcraft or Rockler but their hours never work for me and something always comes up. Do you work at as builder or craftsman?

M

member 1013

@Lars Soros I have always wanted to take some classes at Woodcraft or Rockler but their hours never work for me and something always comes up. Do you work at as builder or craftsman?
I’m an executive for a fairly large developer now but i am a carpenter and a joiner by trade. In my 20s I built high end custom houses, from the footing up. Everything except electrical, HVAC, plumbing, drywall taping and paint. Sold the company and went corporate, miss it everyday.

Simpleman

First 100
First 100
Jan 15, 2015
I’m an executive for a fairly large developer now but i am a carpenter and a joiner by trade. In my 20s I built high end custom houses, from the footing up. Everything except electrical, HVAC, plumbing, drywall taping and paint. Sold the company and went corporate, miss it everyday.
Very jealous of the knowledge you have undoubtably collected. I am going to try and do a total gut job on our master bath this winter. I will most likely have a pro install the pan for the shower (6’ x 6’), put in the cubby for the shampoos and move the controls. Last owner was a “plumber” and jacked some stuff up beyond comprehension (used caulk instead of grout on shower seat wall).

Simpleman

First 100
First 100
Jan 15, 2015
If you see anything that i post that can be done better or easier please feel free to point it out. No one improves doing the same thing the same way everytime.

Grateful Dude

TMMAC Addict
May 30, 2016
i worked for the family business for about 6 years installing flooring (mostly tile and hardwood), so you and I have pretty much the exact same skillz and knowledge ?

It was actually kind of fun though when working with the custom home builders. They usually did something quality and interesting, and it was a good feeling to see the finished product. Changing out cheap carpet in some shithole house wasn’t very exciting.

M

member 1013

i worked for the family business for about 6 years installing flooring (mostly tile and hardwood), so you and I have pretty much the exact same skillz and knowledge ?

It was actually kind of fun though when working with the custom home builders. They usually did something quality and interesting, and it was a good feeling to see the finished product. Changing out cheap carpet in some shithole house wasn’t very exciting.
I took four geology electives in university so we are basically the same person bruv

ThatOneDude

Commander in @Chief, Dick Army
First 100
Jan 14, 2015
Thanks for selling us that company, it was life changing.

Simpleman

First 100
First 100
Jan 15, 2015
You ever do something and realize wayyy too late in the game; what the hell did I get myself into? Thats this damn project. I have completed others since I started this but damn I cant wait for this to be over! Maybe this weekend. Dont play with epoxy or pecky cypress!
727B5CB7-6201-40A4-AB3C-BB4CE45E8B7E.png

Filthy

Iowa Wrestling Champion
Jun 28, 2016
View attachment 16099
Built this a few months ago. All PT 2x4s and 1x4s with a stain sealer.
I built the same thing in (maybe) 7th or 8th grade, out of 2X4s. sanded and stained, they looked really nice and lasted forever. You definitely used nicer lumber :)

any thoughts/ideas on getting a lasting 'purple' finish in purpleheart? I've got a nice little end table that's cut and scraped, ready to be finished and assembled...but I let it sit a couple years and purple is oxidizing.

Filthy

Iowa Wrestling Champion
Jun 28, 2016
BTW - anyone with a recommendation on a wood moisture meter? prices from$20->$500, lots of options

i'm not laying floor or making heirloom furniture, but it would be handy for cabinet making and for the Lichtenstein burning.

Hauler

Been fallin so long it's like gravitys gone
Feb 3, 2016
Made a set of stairs today...

YP stringers and risers (being painted)
Bottom curved rise with birch ply
Red oak treads.

20201125_225429.jpg

Hauler

Been fallin so long it's like gravitys gone
Feb 3, 2016
Didn't really make anything here, but I def see a dog in the wood here.

20201122_103219.jpg