General Look how perfectly I poached this egg

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to Sign Up today.

LeGarconDeCum

Dec 25, 2019

There's only two factors that matter when poaching eggs - egg freshness and water temperature.

If your eggs aren't fresh you're fighting an uphill battle but the workaround is to crack your eggs into a fine mesh sieve or tea strainer first. If the egg is fresh, barely any will pass through the sieve, whereas if it is less fresh some of the white will pass through. If you had put the less fresh egg into the water, those bits of white that pass through the sieve would separate from the main egg and make a mess everywhere.

The water should be as hot as you can get it before any bubbles start forming.

Vinegar is NOT necessary. Don't listen to vinegar shills.

Swirling the water to create a vortex is OPTIONAL. Swirling will create a more aesthetic egg, but won't affect overall quality.

Other than that it's fairly simple. Crack the egg into a cup or ramekin first so you can gently plop it into the water. I think about a 3 minute cooking time is right but ymmv.

The cling film method also works... if you're a huge pussy!

silentsinger

Momofuku
Jun 23, 2015
I cheat. I have an old fashioned egg poacher, I go fucking mental if I fuck it up in a saucepan.

La Paix

Fuck this place
First 100
Jan 14, 2015
You must swirl.
It takes no effort and makes a much better egg.
I've only poached a few times in my youth and had one of those things you put into the pot to hold up to five eggs. If I can nail down a solid eggs Benny my wife may stop yelling at me.

LeGarconDeCum

Dec 25, 2019

All gone

Now to get blackout drunk on natty ice and xbox my evening away

Hopefully this thread will help others achieve the perfect poached egg

#MAGA #TRUMP2020

Splinty

Shake 'em off
Admin
Dec 31, 2014
Taller than a door, can poach perfect eggs, in great shape ... He'd be the perfect alpha male if he didn't have such weird short fingers.