Looking to buy a camera TME

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to Sign Up today.

La Paix

Fuck this place
First 100
Jan 14, 2015
Want to pick up a camera but something more than a point and shoot, I guess an SLR. Give me some tips and brands for something I can takenon a trip that's user friendly with just enough options to keep me busy. I think Team Bisping @Gilbosh should be able to help.

Team Bisping

TMMAC Addict
First 100
Jan 16, 2015
Hey man, there's some great priced SLR's out there nowadays...Both Nikon & Canon are quite similar with nicely specced entry cameras....

Here's a nice little article which can help you out. Best entry-level DSLR 2015: what to look for, which to buy | TechRadar

Another website for comprehensive reviews etc Digital Photography Review: Digital Photography Review

I used to own a Pentax k-30 which is a great camera but also very good to when out hiking etc as it was weatherproof, I even put it under a tap for 20 seconds to prove a point to one my mates...With Pentax you get much more bang for your buck, but they don't have a huge library of lenses you can buy similar to what Canon and Nikon have.

I've heard good things about the Nikon D3300 and Canon EOS 700d, and both have a nice price point as well, I'm a bit rusty when it comes to photography nowadays but i'll do my best to help. :)

La Paix

Fuck this place
First 100
Jan 14, 2015
Hey man, there's some great priced SLR's out there nowadays...Both Nikon & Canon are quite similar with nicely specced entry cameras....

Here's a nice little article which can help you out. Best entry-level DSLR 2015: what to look for, which to buy | TechRadar

Another website for comprehensive reviews etc Digital Photography Review: Digital Photography Review

I used to own a Pentax k-30 which is a great camera but also very good to when out hiking etc as it was weatherproof, I even put it under a tap for 20 seconds to prove a point to one my mates...With Pentax you get much more bang for your buck, but they don't have a huge library of lenses you can buy similar to what Canon and Nikon have.

I've heard good things about the Nikon D3300 and Canon EOS 700d, and both have a nice price point as well, I'm a bit rusty when it comes to photography nowadays but i'll do my best to help. :)
Thanks for the reply. I'll check out those links asap and post any more questions I have. Right I'm wondering if I even want or need to be able to change lenses. I tell myself I do but I just don't know if I'd actually want to carry around that much gesr while sight seeing and stuff. Maybe the Pentax would be the better option if they are priced better.

La Paix

Fuck this place
First 100
Jan 14, 2015
Team Bisping @Gilbosh could you tell what makes these three priced differences and what those lenses do? This is from Amazon.CA so Canadian prices.

La Paix

Fuck this place
First 100
Jan 14, 2015
Also Team Bisping @Gilbosh can you give me a break down on lenses? I'm seeing things like 18-55mm, WR, 50-200 and so on. What's a good pair of lenses? One for typical shots and another for zoom I assume?

Team Bisping

TMMAC Addict
First 100
Jan 16, 2015
In regards to the screenshot above, the 18-55mm is the everyday lens and is the safe option when out and about.

The WR means weather resistant, and if you go for the pentax, then you're need to pair the WR lens with the body....make sure when you get the camera, the lens is a WR as well. I've noticed a number a few retailers that sell a WR Camera like the above without the WR lens, which is very cheeky. But the options you've chosen above, are all good.

One thing is, do you believe you'll want to expand upon your collection of lens etc...will you become an enthusiast? if you're anything like me, when i start a hobby, i go 100% or nothing...it's terrible for my wallet.

If you think you'll want to build upon and maybe look at other lens etc...then with Pentax, the great thing is, you have a vast array of lens to choose from...because every lens built for Pentax K Mount which goes back to the 1960's I believe, will fit your camera...Which is amazing. BUT...there's a cost option, with Canon and Nikon...the amount of lens available and the prices are very favourable...also...with Canon and Nikon...because they can such a big market share...there are many other companies who make and sell lens for them at a very reasonable price....So it's worth thinking about how you wish your entry photography to pan out.

Team Bisping

TMMAC Addict
First 100
Jan 16, 2015
If you're just starting out having both the 18-55mm lens and the 50-200mm lens covers 95% of the shots you need them for. 18-55 for everyday, out and about shots...and 50-200mm is a great every lens with a large zoom which will most likely come in handy on your travels in the RV.

With the 18-55....you have the wide-angle option between the ranges of 18-35mm (great for landscape shots etc).....then the normal range of 35-55...With the 50-200 you have the telephoto range, for bringing objects closer to your view.

I'm a bit shit with the technical side of photography, but hope that hopes...