Lorenz Larkin: It’s stupid to fight in the UFC just to say ‘I’m a UFC fighter’

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to Sign Up today.

Wild

Zi Nazi
Admin
Dec 31, 2014

UFC welterweight contender, Lorenz Larkin talks about his current free agency experience, plans to go with most lucrative offer

UFC welterweight crowd pleaser, Lorenz Larkin last fought three months ago against Neil Magny at UFC 202. The final fight on his contract would end with “The Monsoon” stopping Magny via TKO in the first round. Prior to the bout, Larkin and UFC brass would enter contract re-signing negotiation, but the numbers on the table equated to what the California native considered a “slap in the face.”

On Monday’s edition of The MMA Hour (quote transcription courtesy of MMA Fighting), Larkin spoke in detail about the conversation that took place at the bargaining table.

“I just thought the offer they threw at me was kind of a slap in the face and I didn’t want to…

Larkin: It’s stupid to be in the UFC just to say ‘I’m a UFC fighter’

sparkuri

Pulse On The Finger Of The Community
First 100
Jan 16, 2015
Dana: " These fighters are crazy. They want Conor Mcgregor money, but are unwilling to promote themselves in a similar manner. It's ******* insane."

Larkin: He said "who are you kidding, where are you gonna go? Bellasnore and fight Kimbo Jr.? If you really wanna be a true UFC fighter and fight the best in the world 3,4 times a year, you'll take Pete Spratt money and you'll like it."

Clappin'Daddys

Posting Machine
Sep 9, 2015
Larkin has a decent head on his shoulders. Simply " being in the UFC" is overrated.

U gotta follow the money while you can. Mma is a young mans sport. No time to waste

Silverball

Feb 24, 2015
The real pay in the UFC (for fighters not named Conor McGregor) comes with title shots and best case scenario - winning a belt. The problem with that is there is no real logic from a sporting standpoint on how those decisions are made by the UFC. So you have guys like TJ Dillashaw who is the #1 ranked contender at 135 signing a 8 fight contract, then watching the #9 ranked guy get a shot ahead of him because he looks better on a poster. TJ could roll the dice and wait for the winner, but it also turns out that he's not paid enough by the company to take any time off, and even if he did there's no guarantee that he'd get the next crack at the belt. Frankie Edgar, if he decides to drop down, has just as good a chance at getting that shot as Dillashaw does.