Lifestyle Losers are more likely to believe in conspiracy theories, study finds

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to Sign Up today.

La Paix

Fuck this place
First 100
Jan 14, 2015

Man holding an anti-Obama "birther" conspiracy sign at a Tea Party protest at the Minnesota capitol in 2010. (Photo credit: Fibonacci Blue/Flickr)

New research helps to explain why the belief in election fraud is common in the United States, even though research has failed to find convincing evidence that it is a problem.

The study, published in the scientific journal Political Research Quarterly, found evidence that conspiratorial thinking and motivated partisan reasoning both have a strong influence on the belief in election-related conspiracy theories.

“My coauthor, Joseph Parent, came to me with the idea of studying conspiracy theories,” said Joseph E. Uscinski of the University of Miami. “When we got into it, there had been little systematic analysis of why people believed conspiracy theories, and what the consequences of those beliefs were. I have remained interested in the topic because it is a fun one to study most importantly, but also because it is so relevant to our current politics.”

The researchers used a survey of 1,230 Americans, conducted before and after the 2012 presidential election, to examine why some people believed widespread fraud had swung the outcome.

Before the election, 62 percent of the participants said they believed that if their preferred candidate lost, voter fraud would be involved. But that percentage dropped down to 39 percent after the election. The drop was largely correlated with partisanship.

Because Obama won, Democrats were less likely to believe in fraud while Republicans became more likely to believe that dirty tricks were involved.

“Conspiracy theories are for losers,” Uscinski told PsyPost. “People who are on the outside, people who lost, people who lack control, tend to believe in conspiracy theories.”

“We see this play out in our national debates: when Bush was president, Democrats were the ones propagating the conspiracy theories. They put forward theories about 9/11, war for oil, Halliburton, Cheney, Blackwater, etc. When Obama came to office, those theories became socially and politically inert. The prominent conspiracy theories came from Republicans and were about Obama faking his birth certificate, killing the kids at Sandy Hook, Benghazi, etc.”

“Now that Trump is president, the popular conspiracy theories come from Democrats and focus on Trump and Russia,” Uscinski said. “Conspiracy theories follow the ebb and flow of power and losers tend to propagate them the most.”

But partisanship wasn’t the only driving force behind election-related conspiracy theories. The researchers also found that conspiratorial predispositions strongly predicted the belief that if one’s preferred candidate were to lose, fraud would be involved. People with conspiratorial predispositions agreed with statements such as “Much of our lives are being controlled by plots hatched in secret places.”

“The people who believe in conspiracy theories tend to do so because of an underlying disposition towards seeing events and circumstances as the product of conspiracies,” Uscinski explained to PsyPost. “This is why some people (and we all have a friend like this) believe in almost every conspiracy theory out there, and some people reject most conspiracy theories out of hand. It isn’t really evidence that drives people to believe in conspiracy theories, it’s their own biased interpretations of evidence.”

The study found no partisan differences when it came to conspiratorial predispositions, suggesting Democrats and Republicans have an equal number of conspiracists among their ranks.

The study, “The Effect of Conspiratorial Thinking and Motivated Reasoning on Belief in Election Fraud“, was also co-authored by Jack Edelson, Alexander Alduncin, Christopher Krewson, and James A. Sieja.

Losers are more likely to believe in conspiracy theories, study finds

Enock-O-Lypse Now! @Saint Enock

I'd tag more but they'll expose themselves soon enough.

La Paix

Fuck this place
First 100
Jan 14, 2015
Guess I'm a loser..... oh well

Gulf of Tonkin, I'll leave it at that
In the absence of independent journalism, the Gulf of Tonkin Resolution — the closest thing there ever was to a declaration of war against North Vietnam — sailed through Congress on Aug. 7. (Two courageous senators, Wayne Morse of Oregon and Ernest Gruening of Alaska, provided the only “no” votes.) The resolution authorized the president “to take all necessary measures to repel any armed attack against the forces of the United States and to prevent further aggression.”

The rest is tragic history.

Nearly three decades later, during the Gulf War, columnist Sydney Schanberg warned journalists not to forget “our unquestioning chorus of agreeability when Lyndon Johnson bamboozled us with his fabrication of the Gulf of Tonkin incident.”

Schanberg blamed not only the press but also “the apparent amnesia of the wider American public.”

And he added: “We Americans are the ultimate innocents. We are forever desperate to believe that this time the government is telling us the truth.”

30-Year Anniversary: Tonkin Gulf Lie Launched Vietnam War

This here...

the apparent amnesia of the wider American public

Enock-O-Lypse Now!

Underneath Denver International Airport
Jun 19, 2016
Lol @ this ridiculous study in a blatant attempt by the establishment to make conspiracy theorists look like losers.

Listen, the bottom line is that every single citizen should be in the pursuit of truth.

When truth seekers are labeled conspiracy theorists and losers you should be alarmed...

There have been to many discrepancies time and time again to trust these life long politicians who "play the game" to get elected but once in office they say fuck the voters and start taking orders from their Corporate bosses who have funded their campaigns to get hem in office.

Also calling me a Loser?

Really?

I'm like Charlie sheen, only thing I know how to do is Win!

Need proof? Just ask @Song2 aka Enock 4 Mod ...

I'm a winner and I'm goin take all you losers with me to the top of Truth Mountain where we all will bring the true Age of Enlightenment to reality!!!!

*inserts 2pacs Hail Marry song into thread while grabbing his nuts in distain.

SongExotic2

ATM 3 CHAMPION OF THE WORLD. #FREECAIN
First 100
Jan 16, 2015
Lol @ this ridiculous study in a blatant attempt by the establishment to make conspiracy theorists look like losers.

Listen, the bottom line is that every single citizen should be in the pursuit of truth.

When truth seekers are labeled conspiracy theorists and losers you should be alarmed...

There have been to many discrepancies time and time again to trust these life long politicians who "play the game" to get elected but once in office they say fuck the voters and start taking orders from their Corporate bosses who have funded their campaigns to get hem in office.

Also calling me a Loser?

Really?

I'm a winner and I'm goin take all you losers with me to the top of Truth Mountain where we all will bring the true Age of Enlightenment to reality!!!!

La Paix

Fuck this place
First 100
Jan 14, 2015

Also calling me a Loser?

Really?

You had me up until you mentioned Song2.

If you promise to stop posting negativity about GSP I'll give you a clean slate.

SongExotic2

ATM 3 CHAMPION OF THE WORLD. #FREECAIN
First 100
Jan 16, 2015
You had me up until you mentioned Song2.

If you promise to stop posting negativity about GSP I'll give you a clean slate.
He edited his post and won't mention me again.

If you know what I mean

tang

top korean roofer
Oct 21, 2015
Im a total loser cuz I believe 2 out of 4 planes were fake during 9-11 attacks and that leaves me to believe even the 2 planes that hit the towers were also staged. And building 7 collapsing on its own and was part of some inside job is a total loser theory.

Believing WMD's in Iraq were fake was total loser theory, they really had that shit!

HEATH VON DOOM

Remember the 5th of November
Oct 21, 2015
Just like no one wanted to believe Trump when he said he was wiretapped.

Keep believing the bullshit you are fed by the media sheeples.

Hwoarang

TMMAC Addict
Oct 22, 2015
How come it's always the contestants with the sob stories that get through the rounds on American idol?

Filthy

Iowa Wrestling Champion
Jun 28, 2016

Man holding an anti-Obama "birther" conspiracy sign at a Tea Party protest at the Minnesota capitol in 2010. (Photo credit: Fibonacci Blue/Flickr)

New research helps to explain why the belief in election fraud is common in the United States, even though research has failed to find convincing evidence that it is a problem.

The study, published in the scientific journal Political Research Quarterly, found evidence that conspiratorial thinking and motivated partisan reasoning both have a strong influence on the belief in election-related conspiracy theories.

“My coauthor, Joseph Parent, came to me with the idea of studying conspiracy theories,” said Joseph E. Uscinski of the University of Miami. “When we got into it, there had been little systematic analysis of why people believed conspiracy theories, and what the consequences of those beliefs were. I have remained interested in the topic because it is a fun one to study most importantly, but also because it is so relevant to our current politics.”

The researchers used a survey of 1,230 Americans, conducted before and after the 2012 presidential election, to examine why some people believed widespread fraud had swung the outcome.

Before the election, 62 percent of the participants said they believed that if their preferred candidate lost, voter fraud would be involved. But that percentage dropped down to 39 percent after the election. The drop was largely correlated with partisanship.

Because Obama won, Democrats were less likely to believe in fraud while Republicans became more likely to believe that dirty tricks were involved.

“Conspiracy theories are for losers,” Uscinski told PsyPost. “People who are on the outside, people who lost, people who lack control, tend to believe in conspiracy theories.”

“We see this play out in our national debates: when Bush was president, Democrats were the ones propagating the conspiracy theories. They put forward theories about 9/11, war for oil, Halliburton, Cheney, Blackwater, etc. When Obama came to office, those theories became socially and politically inert. The prominent conspiracy theories came from Republicans and were about Obama faking his birth certificate, killing the kids at Sandy Hook, Benghazi, etc.”

“Now that Trump is president, the popular conspiracy theories come from Democrats and focus on Trump and Russia,” Uscinski said. “Conspiracy theories follow the ebb and flow of power and losers tend to propagate them the most.”

But partisanship wasn’t the only driving force behind election-related conspiracy theories. The researchers also found that conspiratorial predispositions strongly predicted the belief that if one’s preferred candidate were to lose, fraud would be involved. People with conspiratorial predispositions agreed with statements such as “Much of our lives are being controlled by plots hatched in secret places.”

“The people who believe in conspiracy theories tend to do so because of an underlying disposition towards seeing events and circumstances as the product of conspiracies,” Uscinski explained to PsyPost. “This is why some people (and we all have a friend like this) believe in almost every conspiracy theory out there, and some people reject most conspiracy theories out of hand. It isn’t really evidence that drives people to believe in conspiracy theories, it’s their own biased interpretations of evidence.”

The study found no partisan differences when it came to conspiratorial predispositions, suggesting Democrats and Republicans have an equal number of conspiracists among their ranks.

The study, “The Effect of Conspiratorial Thinking and Motivated Reasoning on Belief in Election Fraud“, was also co-authored by Jack Edelson, Alexander Alduncin, Christopher Krewson, and James A. Sieja.

Losers are more likely to believe in conspiracy theories, study finds

Enock-O-Lypse Now! @Saint Enock

I'd tag more but they'll expose themselves soon enough.

that's what they want you to believe!