Luke Rockhold doesn't 'feel threatened' by 'lost puppy' Chris Weidman

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to Sign Up today.
P

Punch

Chris Weidman was fiery at the "Unstoppable" press conference before UFC 196 in Las Vegas. He came at Luke Rockhold verbally and asserted himself in the war of words.

It was a different Weidman than fans are used to seeing. The cool, calm demeanor was replaced by ire. The former middleweight champ is hell bent on getting his title back, after falling to Rockhold by fourth-round TKO at UFC 194 in December. Weidman said he had a broken foot and was far from 100 percent in that fight.

The two will meet again in the main event of UFC 199 on June 4 in Los Angeles. Rockhold is not sure all the anger will be a positive thing for his foe.

"He doesn't look like himself," Rockhold said at the EA Sports UFC 2 launch party in Las Vegas. "I don't know. We'll see if this emotion helps him. To my knowledge, emotion doesn't help you fight. So he better check himself otherwise this fight is gonna be over a lot sooner than he expects -- maybe even than I expect. I don't feel threatened by Chris. I really don't see what he's going to bring to the table that's going to blow me away, anything different. Because of a broken foot? C'mon."

Rockhold said Weidman was an "emotional freakin' little girl" at the "Unstoppable" press conference. The champ said he had a hard time even getting a word in against the fuming Weidman.

"Obviously not having the belt has gotten to him and he's just making up a lot of things in his head seemingly," Rockhold said. "I don't know where he's coming from, but he's just really emotional. Maybe he's on his period or something. I don't know."

Weidman's foot was broken in two places six weeks out of the first fight with Rockhold. He also needed surgery to remove bone spurs from his elbow right after the bout. Rockhold had some issues of his own. The American Kickboxing Academy product had staph infection leading into UFC 194 and said he was on antibiotics during fight week. Rockhold said he didn't feel like himself nor did he produce the kind of output he usually does.

"What is it gonna change when he comes back with a healthy foot?" Rockhold said. "His most effective thing in the whole fight was kicks. And he was kicking with both foot. Having a healthy foot is not going to help be a better boxer. It's not gonna help being a better grappler."

LINK to full article: Luke Rockhold doesn't 'feel threatened' by 'lost puppy' Chris Weidman

La Paix

Fuck this place
First 100
Jan 14, 2015
I rewatched that fight last night and I agree with Luke. Chris won the first but it seemed like Luke decided to do more of a feel out plan, never was in real danger of took big damage just rilled with Chris and neutralized and defended a bit.

Se omd round was Lukes. Lots of kicks landed and the ones that were blocked must've still done good damage. When it went to the ground Luke was much more offensive than round one and showed he could win there as well as the feet.

Round three, spinning shit. Wtf was Chris thinking? Was this a hail marry, desperation, confused.... No idea what made him think it was a good idea but Luke made him pay for that shit, I can't believe Herb didn't stop it then.

Round four was just a matter of time.

I'll be putting money on Luke AGAIN for this fight.

P

Punch

I rewatched that fight last night and I agree with Luke. Chris won the first but it seemed like Luke decided to do more of a feel out plan, never was in real danger of took big damage just rilled with Chris and neutralized and defended a bit.

Se omd round was Lukes. Lots of kicks landed and the ones that were blocked must've still done good damage. When it went to the ground Luke was much more offensive than round one and showed he could win there as well as the feet.

Round three, spinning shit. Wtf was Chris thinking? Was this a hail marry, desperation, confused.... No idea what made him think it was a good idea but Luke made him pay for that shit, I can't believe Herb didn't stop it then.

I picked Weidman to win based off of his past performances, and while he looked off that night (alleged broken foot) I stated that it looked like Luke "big brothered" him. Sometimes the little brother wins, but not nearly as often. I think Luke takes it again.

P

Punch

I hope Weidman smashes this dude.
He might, but i'd place Luke as the favorite after that last performance. It'd be a good trilogy if Weidman did. I'm not a huge fan of Luke's personality, but he's turned into a really damn good mma practitioner.

Last edited by a moderator:

La Paix

Fuck this place
First 100
Jan 14, 2015
He might, but i'd place Luke as the favorite after that last performance. It's be a good trilogy if Weidman did. I'm not a huge fan of Luke's personality, but he's turned into a really damn good mma practitioner.
That trilogy would be awesome, now I'm not so concerned if somehow Weidman got the win.

Atto

Chinese Virus
Feb 11, 2016

I have never seen a worse spinning kick in my life ..

Andrewsimar Palhardass

Women, dinosaurs, and the violence of the octagon.
Jan 8, 2016
I could see this going both ways, but I do think that Weidman is a bit broken with all of the garbage he has spewed since losing.

On a side note- I have been a massive Luke Rockhold fan ever since he was on Embedded for UFC 194 and the episode began with him showing the cameras a bong that he built in high school shop. He won an art contest with it and nobody knew it was just a bong. From then on, I have been and will always be in his corner.

La Paix

Fuck this place
First 100
Jan 14, 2015
I have never seen a worse spinning kick in my life ..

It was bad but I do think some people put way to much emphasis on it when reasoning for Chris losing.

There wasn't to much boxing on display from either, minimal combinations if any. The kicks exchanged were the good shots landing and Likes were by far the crisper more powerful ones delivered.

So many were counting on Weidmans wrestling and ground game to be the difference in the fight but Luke showed much better skills overall on the mat.

Andrewsimar Palhardass

Women, dinosaurs, and the violence of the octagon.
Jan 8, 2016

It was bad but I do think some people put way to much emphasis on it when reasoning for Chris losing.

There wasn't to much boxing on display from either, minimal combinations if any. The kicks exchanged were the good shots landing and Likes were by far the crisper more powerful ones delivered.

So many were counting on Weidmans wrestling and ground game to be the difference in the fight but Luke showed much better skills overall on the mat.
I completely agree that some people put way too much weight on the spin kick. It was a catalyst moment in the fight, but many people pretend that it was the only mistake Weidman made.

Atto

Chinese Virus
Feb 11, 2016

well that kick made the difference , poorly executed kick . maybe weidman would have lost but not this badly