Luke Rockhold: For Chris Weidman’s sake, I hope we don’t fight again

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to Sign Up today.

Wild

Zi Nazi
Admin
Dec 31, 2014

Luke Rockhold won the UFC middleweight title when he beat Chris Weidman to a bloody fourth round TKO at UFC 196 in December 2015. The belt has since changed hands when Rockhold dropped the belt to current champion Michael Bisping at UFC 199, six months later.

Both Rockhold and Weidman are not in consideration for the next title shot, as Bisping being slated to defend his belt against Georges St-Pierre at UFC 217 in November in New York City. A rematch between the two could be a logical move to make, and could have title implications, but when asked by Ariel Helwani if there would be a chance for it to happen, Rockhold was not too keen on the idea.

“For his sake, I hope not,” the former…

Rockhold: For Weidman’s sake, I hope we don’t fight again

Γαλάνης

The Wallabee Champ
First 100
Jan 18, 2015
I know Luke has some fans but I can't stand this dude, his knockout loss by Bisping of all people was one of the greatest moments in modern MMA. Too bad the humbling didn't last long

Nemo?

Too weird to live, too rare to die.
Dec 2, 2015
I know Luke has some fans but I can't stand this dude, his knockout loss by Bisping of all people was one of the greatest moments in modern MMA. Too bad the humbling didn't last long
It was supposed to be the humbling but he never got humbled.

STFU and win a fight first haha.

PS. Put some respeck on Weidman's name.....he been hitting the grindstone HARD since losing the title....taking on all challenger's.

Not weeping on the sideline's.

Jdog93

.....?
Jun 2, 2016
I used to like Luke.

But after that embarrassment of a showing against Bisping and staying out for so damn long weeping like a teenage girl I just can't root for the guy.

Γαλάνης

The Wallabee Champ
First 100
Jan 18, 2015
It was supposed to be the humbling but he never got humbled.

STFU and win a fight first haha.

PS. Put some respeck on Weidman's name.....he been hitting the grindstone HARD since losing the title....taking on all challenger's.

Not weeping on the sideline's.
Exactly. While Chris and Luke are both supremely confident, I feel like the difference is Chris has been humble in defeat, whereas Rockhold has just went completely into delusional territory. Also, like you said, Chris has been taking on killers nonstop since they met.. In contrast, Rockhold has had a single fight, where he suffered perhaps the most embarrassing loss in UFC title fight history. Since that loss, 14 months ago, he has done nothing but complain, make statements with no basis in reality and attempt to discredit Bisping's win.

Reminds me of how Ronda handled her loss vs how Conor handled his. Ronda disappeared and did basically everything wrong. Conor immediately went back to the toolshed and wanted another crack at it.

Really says a lot about a guy's mental game when you look at stuff like this. Rockhold should beat Branch, skill wise, but I don't know if he will be champion again. I feel like we will end up seeing Whittaker vs Rockhold for the belt at some point in late 2018, and I don't know who wins that fight, but right now I'm leaning toward Whittaker.

wiz

Posting Machine
Jan 31, 2016
No one actually feels bad for luke after he got KOed by bisping of all people in the world?

KWingJitsu

ยาเม็ดสีแดงหรือสีฟ้ายา?
Nov 15, 2015
No one actually feels bad for luke after he got KOed by bisping of all people in the world?
Something about AKA just rubs me the wrong way.
DC
Luke
Khabib
Cain and his million injuries

I don't mind Luke, fighters have to answer the questions they're asked and if he was asked about Weidman then that was his answer.
To Weidman's credit, he hasn't been licking his wounds and gossiping.

Drake

Cunning Linguist
Jul 9, 2017
I was totally against Weidman's instant rematch, but I am curious how it would have went. Knowing that Luke's knee was fucked up, I imagine that Chris could have hit takedowns somewhat easily. I'd still favor Luke but it would have been interesting.