Luke Rockhold labels Robert Whittaker 'true champion,' plans eventual move up to 205

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to Sign Up today.

La Paix

Fuck this place
First 100
Jan 14, 2015

Luke Rockhold is keeping his options open with regard to his future following a successful return to competition from a 15-month layoff at UFC Fight Night 116. That includes a potential change in weight class down the line.

Rockhold’s (16-3 MMA, 6-2 UFC) comeback fight after losing the UFC middleweight title to Michael Bisping in June 2016 went largely free of error on Saturday when he managed to overwhelm David Branch (21-4 MMA, 3-3 UFC) for a second-round stoppage win in the FS1-televised headliner at PPG Paints Arena in Pittsburgh.

After the fight, Rockhold heavily criticized the upcoming 185-pound title fight between Bisping (30-7 MMA, 20-7 UFC) and Georges St-Pierre (25-2 MMA, 19-2 UFC) at UFC 217 on Nov. 4. He said “The Count” will smoke St-Pierre and thinks he should instead get the next title shot because he will put up a real fight.

Luke Rockhold labels Robert Whittaker 'true champion,' plans eventual move up to 205

nuraknu

savage
Jul 20, 2016
Lol.

“I think he’s the true champion right now – the man who fights the fights that count, other than some poser up there running away with the belt.”

Whittaker won an interim belt and then took off for injury. I like the guy, but who is he fighting? You think if they offered Whittaker a GSP payday he would say, "no, thank you. I need to fight someone who decided not to be important for the last 15 months because he's acting like a baby"?

Last edited:

nuraknu

savage
Jul 20, 2016
Luke is a good fighter, but he wants us fans to know him a certain way, like when he allowed himself to be filmed trying to mess with his "friend" who fell asleep by the pool. I don't think he's trying to get anyone to like him, and I don't think anything he says indicates any significant self-reflection.

Bisping is a company man, doing what the company wants which also happens to be what's best for his family. He's not the matchmaker. He is the champion. He came by the belt legitimately. This is what champion means to the UFC - it's a promotional tool.

Luke knows it's in his best interest to be willing to fight Whittaker, and to keep some rivalry with Bisping going on the back burner for a payday down the road.

Imo, the only point he's making is that he has his own interests to look out for.

Mix6APlix

The more you cry, the less I care.
Oct 20, 2015
I'll say it again. Screw the belts, and go back to tournaments over the course of the year.

La Paix

Fuck this place
First 100
Jan 14, 2015
I like the guy, but who is he fighting?
2 consectutive wins over top 5 guys in Souza and Yoel. Compared to #13 ranked Dino Dan and upcoming 3 years into retirement WW GSP he's got a good resume at the moment.

Ted Williams' head

It's freezing in here!
Sep 23, 2015
He got flatlined by - let's be honest - a longtime gate keeper who took the fight on 10 days notice. There's no one to blame for the sorry state of the 185lb division but Luke.

SCADA

Posting Machine
Oct 10, 2016
Well...he should be campaigning for a fight with Whitaker then...

nuraknu

savage
Jul 20, 2016
2 consectutive wins over top 5 guys in Souza and Yoel. Compared to #13 ranked Dino Dan and upcoming 3 years into retirement WW GSP he's got a good resume at the moment.
I agree, but I just meant post-belt because he's out with injury.

Joemacka

Bisping is GOAT
Oct 19, 2015
Rockhold turned down Jacare on short notice and chose Bisping because he thought it was an easier fight so he cant talk.

La Paix

Fuck this place
First 100
Jan 14, 2015
Rockhold turned down Jacare on short notice and chose Bisping because he thought it was an easier fight so he cant talk.
Fwiw in the presser before the fight Mike was claiming the same thing. Luke said something to the effect the of "I didn't dodge Souza I picked you. Unfortunately you're the kind of guy who pays the bills". He also said comments about how the alligator don't speak English and that's tough to sell.

Now of you believe Luke then that's the same angle Mike has played since winning the belt. He wanted big fights because he felt he's earned it. If you don't believe him then still, Mike equally as guilty in dodging top guys while fighting Hendo and GSP.

I'd love to see a 3rd fight but I'm very doubtful.

Mix6APlix

The more you cry, the less I care.
Oct 20, 2015
Fwiw in the presser before the fight Mike was claiming the same thing. Luke said something to the effect the of "I didn't dodge Souza I picked you. Unfortunately you're the kind of guy who pays the bills". He also said comments about how the alligator don't speak English and that's tough to sell.

Now of you believe Luke then that's the same angle Mike has played since winning the belt. He wanted big fights because he felt he's earned it. If you don't believe him then still, Mike equally as guilty in dodging top guys while fighting Hendo and GSP.

I'd love to see a 3rd fight but I'm very doubtful.
:fire:

soundoff71

Posting Machine
Jan 29, 2015
I blame Luke for the humiliating loss that mutherfucked an entire division for over a year now. It's his fault Bisping's gone full-blowhard. As much as this hurts to say, after seeing the way Branch bobble-headed Luke, if there's ever a rubber-match, I think Bisping beats him again. I never bet on fights, cause anything can happen, but I would have to lean towards Bisping. Fuck me...

Rockhold's prone to eating punches, & he doesn't seem to have learned a goddamn thing. Machida hit him quite a bit, too, but he didn't put him out. Bisping, with Parillo in his corner, can do it again. I didn't think so till he was up against the cage with his head flopping around, but considering how arrogant he his, it's well within the realm of possibility that it happens again.

I hate having to say anything good about him because I find his personality to be repulsive, but between him & Luke, Bisping's the smarter fighter. He's also had plenty of losses & has overcome adversity. On top of that, minus BJ's 'comeback' against Frankie Edgar, Parillo's fighters get better. AKA's primitive methods keeps fighters injured & broken.

After another year of caveman training with Cain & DC, that chin's not getting any stronger. I can't stand either guy outside of the cage, but I wanted Rockhold to shut Bisping up. Bisping's everywhere, & he never shuts his mouth. Ugh. After seeing Luke's performance the other night, I'm worried that The Count punches him out again, sits behind that desk, does his fucking podcast, & we never stop hearing about it. EVER. For eternity.

Last edited:

Joemacka

Bisping is GOAT
Oct 19, 2015
I blame Luke for that humiliating loss that mutherfucked an entire division for over a year now. It's his fault Bisping's gone full-blowhard. As much as this hurts to say, after seeing the way Branch bobble-headed Luke, if there's ever a rubber-match, I think Bisping beats him again. I never bet on fights, cause anything can happen, but I would have to lean towards Bisping. Fuck me...

Rockhold's prone to eating punches, & he doesn't seem to have learned a goddamn thing. Machida hit him quite a bit, too, but he didn't put him out. Bisping, with Parillo in his corner, can do it again. I didn't think so till he was up against the cage with his head flopping around, but considering how arrogant he his, it's well within the realm of possibility that it happens again.

I hate having to say anything good about him because I find his personality to be repulsive, but between him & Luke, Bisping's the smarter fighter. He's also had plenty of losses & has overcome adversity. On top of that, minus BJ's 'comeback' against Frankie Edgar, Parillo's fighters get better. AKA's primitive methods fighters get more injured & broken.

That chin's not getting any stronger after another year of caveman training with Cain & DC. I can't stand either guy outside of the cage, but I wanted Rockhold to shut Bisping up. Bisping's everywhere, & he never shuts up. Ugh. After seeing Luke's performance the other night, I'm worried that The Count punches him out again, & sits behind that desk, does his fucking podcast, & we never stop hearing about it. EVER. For eternity.

La Paix

Fuck this place
First 100
Jan 14, 2015
I blame Luke for the humiliating loss that mutherfucked an entire division for over a year now. It's his fault Bisping's gone full-blowhard. As much as this hurts to say, after seeing the way Branch bobble-headed Luke, if there's ever a rubber-match, I think Bisping beats him again. I never bet on fights, cause anything can happen, but I would have to lean towards Bisping. Fuck me...

I hate having to say anything good about him because I find his personality to be repulsive, but between him & Luke, Bisping's the smarter fighter. He's also had plenty of losses & has overcome adversity. On top of that, minus BJ's 'comeback' against Frankie Edgar, Parillo's fighters get better. AKA's primitive methods keeps fighters injured & broken.

After another year of caveman training with Cain & DC, that chin's not getting any stronger. I can't stand either guy outside of the cage, but I wanted Rockhold to shut Bisping up. Bisping's everywhere, & he never shuts his mouth. Ugh. After seeing Luke's performance the other night, I'm worried that The Count punches him out again, sits behind that desk, does his fucking podcast, & we never stop hearing about it. EVER. For eternity.

Lol.

"It's all Lukes fault that Mike makes his own decisions!"

The rest of the long post is pretty accurate though I'll give you that. I don't know how much of Branches offense can be due to Rockhold time away but either way he looked super vulnerable early on.

soundoff71

Posting Machine
Jan 29, 2015
Lol.

"It's all Lukes fault that Mike makes his own decisions!"

The rest of the long post is pretty accurate though I'll give you that. I don't know how much of Branches offense can be due to Rockhold time away but either way he looked super vulnerable early on.
LOL, well, I hate Mike too, but the way I see it, Luke has all the physical gifts & most of the skills to beat Mike. Rockhold SHOULD be champion. Bisping was & still should be an easy fight for him, but Luke let his ego piss it all away. Luke's glaring weakness (boxing & punch defense) happens to be Mike's biggest strength. I don't see AKA or even Henri Hooft shoring up Luke's D anytime soon.

If you get a chance La Paix @BirdWatcher, re-watch the Machida fight. It was telling. I think it goes way beyond ring rust. I hadn't seen it in a while & forgot how punch-able Luke was. I could be wrong, though. Wouldn't be the first time.

La Paix

Fuck this place
First 100
Jan 14, 2015
LOL, well, I hate Mike too, but the way I see it, Luke has all the physical gifts & most of the skills to beat Mike. Rockhold SHOULD be champion. Bisping was & still should be an easy fight for him, but Luke let his ego piss it all away. Luke's glaring weakness (boxing & punch defense) happens Mike's biggest strength. I don't see AKA or even Henri Hooft shoring up Luke's D anytime soon.

If you get a chance La Paix @BirdWatcher, re-watch the Machida fight. It was telling. I think it goes way beyond ring rust. I hadn't seen it in a while & forgot how punch-able Luke was. I could be wrong, though. Wouldn't be the first time.
Agree here on all points. We don't realise how punchable he is because it's really hard to close that gap with his kicks. And most guys that do get in get hot with his right hook once they do get in.

There's no way Rockholds team didn't recognize his flaws in that fight and I'm certain they'll work on them. Its up to him to implement the fix as best as possible but as you said, Lukes biggest liability is his ego.

fightcity

Sep 15, 2017
Luke didn't look that good to me. Branchs mistake was thinking he was better on the ground and clinching and allowing Luke to get him down. That would be halirious if Luke list to Bisping a second time.

Joemacka

Bisping is GOAT
Oct 19, 2015
Luke should use his grappling way more its on another level. He seriously thinks his striking is better than what it is, he has some good kicks but thats it his defence isnt very good.